PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you can only keep one: Asante or Moss?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you can only sign one: Moss or Asante?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Moss at this stage may take a bit of a discount.

Asante will not. And I still don't see what evidence people have that Asante is worth the outrageous contract he's going to get. Look at how many times he was thrown to vs. Hobbs and how many TDs they gave up, if I recall, their stats were nearly identical. Yet Hobbs gets slammed and people think Asante is worth 30 mill in bonus.

Assante cost himself 10 million by not making that INT on the last drive. He cost his team a hard earned 14-10 W in The Game That Mattered.

It comes down to Asante vs. the alternatives and Moss vs. the alternatives, not Asante vs. Moss.

If they can get the same value or something reasonably less, at (corner/WR) at below (Asante's/Moss') asking price, they do it. They're not going to overpay for either.

We have a lot more depth at WR and always seem to be thin at DB. Losing Asante probably hurts our defense more than losing Moss hurts our offense.

It comes down to Asante vs. the alternatives and Moss vs. the alternatives, not Asante vs. Moss.

If they can get the same value or something reasonably less, at (corner/WR) at below (Asante's/Moss') asking price, they do it. They're not going to overpay for either.

We have a lot more depth at WR and always seem to be thin at DB. Losing Asante probably hurts our defense more than losing Moss hurts our offense.

Its much easier to find alternatives to replacing an Asante Samuel over a Randy Moss. There is depth at receiver but no one has Randy's skillset..and dont say Stallworth.

Definately me! Asante is great but if I had to chose

Samuel is a good CB but thats all. Sure he had 10 Int last year but who wouldn't play out of their tree if they knew their contract was to expire. I remember Lawyer Milloy's great season before his contract ended. He got the fat paycheck the following year and declined ever since. Rest assure, when Samuel's gets his fat piggie bank, he wont be the same. Givens, Branch, Graham, ect.... they all got "PAID" but haven't produced. When is the last time you heard any of these players name on Sports Center since leaving NE?? He will leave and the Pats will find some other decent CB who will be more hungry for success.

I am more worried about the money that Asante seems to want. SO far the press has made it sound as if he wants some big Bucks... When Randy came to the Patriots, he took a pay cut to do so.... that tells me that he wanted to be a part of the team.

I will just have to wait and see how the offseason plays out. Personally, I would go for Randy.... I love the Big grin that he has....

Meanwhile, Randy Moss was the difference between this offense being good and the best ever.
Couldn't have summed it up better.

Cornerback is a pretty overrated position with the rule changes (or emphasis on them), too. You really don't need an elite corner to win, a pash rush is far more important. Look at the Giants corners, pretty reliable but definitely not Champ Bailey on one side and Asante Samuel on the other. The Colts started Jason David and Nick Harper and won a championship.

BB and Pioli will find a solid, if unspectactular veteran and a good young corner in round 2 or 3 and they'll get the job done fine.

What Moss adds to this offense can't be replaced. It's really scary how good this guy is. Just think: what other receiver gives you a chance to go 85 yards in 19 seconds like Moss nearly did in the Super Bowl? I don't think a lot of people realize how close that play that Webster broke up was to eliminating the Eli to Tyree as the best Super Bowl play ever and becoming the best and most clutch player in Super Bowl history. 3 more yards on that ball by Brady and Moss is scoring on that play. It was also going right into Moss' hands to put the Pats in field goal range if Webster didn't get his hand in there.

This guy is a must re-sign.

Last edited:
Asante is going to fetch a nice contract worth more than what Nate Clemens got last year (8yrs 80mill). Is it worth it to have a corner making 10.5 a season? Nah... let Dallas sign him.

Look i like Asante very much and would love to have him back. But this is the same franchise that cut Law & Milloy lose. In all honesty Samuel is a lot more "replaceable" than a player like Moss is. The FO picked up Samuel in the fourth round and I'm pretty confident with how deep the draft is projected this year (as far as Cornerbacks are concerned) they can find another and/or rely on some FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST