Welcome to PatsFans.com

If you can only keep one: Asante or Moss?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyManny, Feb 7, 2008.

?

If you can only sign one: Moss or Asante?

1. Moss

86.4%
  2. Asante

13.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

I think we did this thread during the season, but I saw this question asked on NEST last nite amongst Holley, Felger and Tanguay. Felger and Tanguay must have been on crack, they both said Asante.

Asante has become grossly overrated. That's not to say he's not a good player, he is, but to say he's a shutdown corner, or the best corner in the game, the MVP of the defense, blah blah blah blah. As Holley pointed out (I believe he is referencing stats that came from either footballoutsiders or CHFF), by every measure other than interceptions, Hobbs was just as an effective corner than Asante this year.

Meanwhile, Randy Moss was the difference between this offense being good and the best ever. If there's only enough cash to sign one, it's Moss, it's a no-brainer beyond no-brainers. I don't think Asante will be worth half of the money he ends up signing for.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'd like to keep both, but I think signing Randy gives us a better shot at saving money to sign other free agents and draft picks. I think Randy will give us a bit of a discount.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  3. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

I agree, Moss at this stage may take a bit of a discount.

Asante will not. And I still don't see what evidence people have that Asante is worth the outrageous contract he's going to get. Look at how many times he was thrown to vs. Hobbs and how many TDs they gave up, if I recall, their stats were nearly identical. Yet Hobbs gets slammed and people think Asante is worth 30 mill in bonus.
  4. PaulThePat

PaulThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like Asante but I feel he is more "replaceable" than Randy and so for me Moss would stay ;)
  5. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are very few Randy Moss quality players in the NFL. I would say nearly every team has a player of Asante's caliber.
  6. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Fans say he's overated, but is there a corner we could bring in who can perform to Asante's standard or better? Trufant would demand a fair amount of cash and I'll confess I don't know who else is hitting the market at corner. I pesonally think Samuels a very good player. Moss probrably wouldn't like it but there is still the possibility of the tag getting slapped on him.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Asante .. he's younger and there's more than one way to score points. there are only 1 or 2 ways to cover elite receivers.
  8. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think it's really a question about him being overrated, I think it's a question of him being over-priced.
  9. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Asante is looking to cash in, so he is going to want top $$. Moss has been there and done that, he wants a ring and the Pats give him the best shot. IF Belichick can improve the pass rush on defense via draft and free agency, Asante will barely be missed. Besides after Asante missed out on that possible INT that would have clinched the game, I realized he wasn't the "big game" player he claims to be. He is good, just not great.
  10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Moss.

No question.
  11. True_Patriot_Blue

True_Patriot_Blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd say Moss, even though Brady proved he can win without elite WR's, Moss took this offense to the next level by opening up things underneath for Welker.

As for Samuel, a top 5 CB for sure, but not worth the gigantic contract Clements recieved from SF last year, which he's likely seeking..

I don't think we'll make a big splash in free agency this season, but could shore up the roster with some solid players. Greg Ellis of Dallas sound good?:)
  12. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well if he sits tight this organisation will answer the question soon enough and the number 22 will be available. If he's simply demanding too much to keep hold of him and it will affect how we can do buisness then it has to be Moss.
  13. Xzibit23

Xzibit23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Moss is a gamechanger, Asante is not. Moss is arguably the best offensive weapon in the NFL, some people say Asante isnt even a top 5 corner. Its pretty simple really.
  14. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The Jets will have to grossly overpay Asante and Brady will clown him twice a year. I'll be happy.
  15. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

iam quite sure a lot of ex-dallas players will end up in miami :(
  16. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Patriots will go with the value. Samuel isn't half as good as he thinks he is, so he is overpriced. Moss is a helluva lot better than he will probably ask for so he is a bargain.

That fact that one would be willing to take a discount and the other wouldn't should answer that question right there. Nevermind the fact that Moss is a HOF and Samuel is not.

Samuel is already gone in my mind.
  17. LiveShot

LiveShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -16

Asante is NOT a shutdown corner, he's a better than average corner at best. He ain't no Ty Law.
  18. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

It's absolutely impossible to answer this question in a vacuum. I don't think they will resign Asante, but if they're unable to replace him with an adequate corner through FA, trades or the draft than he is a bigger loss than Moss. We all agree Asante is not a shutdown corner, but he is a very very good one, and we don't have another on the roster that's replacing him.

So I'll say this - I would rather be a little less shallow at WR than absolutely exposed in the secondary. If we're able to replace Asante with drafted or signed talent, than by all means sign Moss. But if Ellis Hobbs is our #1 corner next year, that spells trouble.
  19. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pretty well sums up my views on the matter. It depends a lot on term, structure and amount of the contract too.
  20. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Asante has his mind made up.

He certainly is good but he gambles a lot too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.