PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots would of made the playoffs in 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also don't know if I would call a team with no defense like the 2011 Patriots a "very good team".

They were only in the Super Bowl because of Brady and the offense and a bit of luck.

In the game of "what if's" the 2002 team shouldn't even be a thought. Here's how I would rank my 'what if's'....

1.) 2007 - easily #1, most dominant team all year and literally just a play or two from winning the Super Bowl

2.) 2011 - only a high 'what if' because they were a Welker catch away from winning the Super Bowl. In the grand scheme of things, however, Green Bay or New Orleans would have been a more deserving champ that year. The Pats defense was full of holes and replacements.

3.) 2006 - Blowing a big lead in Indy that discarded their opportunity at facing the Bears (who did not have a lot of fight in them).

4.) 2015 - Tough because we blew a great opportunity at home field advantage which I think definitely would have made the difference in the AFC Championship game. It's tough to say that we would have beat Carolina however, a team that was dominant ALL year. I think it was Denver's D and not Carolina's ineptitude that made that look human in the Super Bowl. As such, I think Carolina would have and should have beaten us, but it's alwasy fun to wonder 'what if' in a one game scenario.

Those are the only four I really think about. 2010 we had a great team but if you lose in the divisional round it's tough to definitively say 'well we would have won the next two games if we won that game'. Same goes for 2005. The 2009 team was bad but was still better than 2002. Those teams shouldn't even be on your radar.

The 2009 team was bad but was still better than 2002. Those teams shouldn't even be on your radar.

No it wasn't.

Keep in mind that 2009 team was soft and fractured. The 2002 team just had a bad run D. Everything else was ok. Hell it was a sandwich team between 2 SB championship squads. 90%+ of the roster was championship caliber. Brutal schedule that year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents