PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I wanted to Draft Kerrigan and Wilkerson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...imagine how much better our Defense would be with those two. Not just for this year, but for the next 5-8 years.

Instead we got Solder, and traded away the other pick into this year, where I highly doubt there will be as good a DLine prospect as Wilkerson in the late 1st.

Solder is solid, but we have Light and Volmer already. When Volmer is back 100% healthy, we will have a wasted 1st rd pick sitting on the bench.

We had more than enough ammo to trade up one spot to draft Kerrigan.

and Wilkerson was ours for the taking.

Wiesniski the Center on the Raiders was another pick I wanted that we ended up using on Ras I Dowling. He's part of the reason why Oaklands running game is so good this year.

Last edited:
Without Solder, one of LeVoir, Maneri, and Welch would've been playing RT for the Pats. Basically, Brady would be on IR right now if that had been the case. You also seem to be completely forgetting the future. When will there be another tackle prospect with Solder's upside? There hasn't been in the last decade, so I doubt we'll suddenly see a bunch of them all at once.

And you know how you go from allowing 3.6 YPC (4th in NFL) and 91 rushing YPG (3rd) to allowing 4.2 YPC (14th) and 127 YPG (25th)? You replace a vet like Ellis who plays the run well with a rookie like Wilkerson who was known to be raw and has no business starting for any team his rookie year. Wilkerson hasn't been any better than Love has this season as a pass rusher, and worse against the run.

If you have watched all the 5 OT's taken in the 1st round, Solder is miles ahead of them. He is a lot better than T Smith who was taken 11th overall and better than Castanzo.

I wanted Heyward. He has played well as a backup for Brett Keisel. Got a sack and I remember him pressuring TB off the right side. Yet you don't see me *****ing about it.

Hey guys this is the draft forum. We're all a little grumpy with the current situation, but we know we can't have do-overs. What can the team change so we aren't sitting wringing our hands again.

Some teams constantly pick good receivers & linebackers ( outside ), how do we do the same?

We draft a RB in 1st rd. whose a stiff & get 2 UDFAs who are the best tandem since Dillon & Faulk, so what do we do, draft 2 more RBs high instead of returning to the UDFAs, who has been beter than Foster (UDFA). I think BB has to alter his style & approach, just a little bit. Maybe steal some scouts from other teams, Heaven knows other teams have raided our players & coaches.

You guys all have great ideas, keep them coming!

drafting brooks reed instead of dowling would have helped.....
drafting conner barwin and clay matthews instead of drafting butler and trading away the pick would have helped.....the defense would be fine now....

If you have watched all the 5 OT's taken in the 1st round, Solder is miles ahead of them. He is a lot better than T Smith who was taken 11th overall and better than Castanzo.

I wanted Heyward. He has played well as a backup for Brett Keisel. Got a sack and I remember him pressuring TB off the right side. Yet you don't see me *****ing about it.

I disagree......I think the pats are Ok with 3-4 type of DL's......what they need is to get more athletic at OLB (bigger, too)

what is it with all these damned DBs????

wheatley, chung, butler, mccourty, dowling..........and the one guy who is better than all of them wasn't even drafted (arrington) ... are these guys that far off when it comes to analyzing prospects?

drafting conner barwin and clay matthews instead of drafting butler and trading away the pick would have helped.....the defense would be fine now....

Could have, would have, and should have.

Whomp Whomp.

Hey, I could also play this game. If we hadn't drafted Daniel Graham and instead taken Ed Reed, we would have had a HoF FS. No need to Draft Meriweather.

It happens.

...imagine how much better our Defense would be with those two. Not just for this year, but for the next 5-8 years.

Instead we got Solder, and traded away the other pick into this year, where I highly doubt there will be as good a DLine prospect as Wilkerson in the late 1st.

Solder is solid, but we have Light and Volmer already. When Volmer is back 100% healthy, we will have a wasted 1st rd pick sitting on the bench.

Wiesniski the Center on the Raiders was another pick I wanted that we ended up using on Ras I Dowling. He's part of the reason why Oaklands running game is so good this year.

As one of the biggest critics of the Solder pick when it was made I’m now very happy with it, though I would have preferred to have gotten Jared Veldheer in the 2010 draft like I wanted. If the team simply hit on the plethora of defensive misses they’ve had with the past several drafts we’d be fine, one of the biggest misses being passing up Connor Barwin.

I Wanted Aldon Smith imagine if we had him. Honestly get over it, Solder has proven he was worth the pick, at that stage we hadn't resigned matt light, what if he didn't resign? you could have had vollmer and... who? LeVoir or Kakzur starting at tackle i'm sure you would have loved that.... until vollmers back flared up leaving who at Tackle?

Do you remember any picks you miss on or just the ones that work out? Ras-I while disappointing that he is injured was our starting CB when healthy. So we picked a starting Tackle and CB with our first 2 picks.

I as much as anyone want us to have a dominant front 7. But that doesn't mean you can just revise these picks and say they were bad just because 2 names you threw around pre draft have gone ok in their new homes.

+Matthews = —GRONK.

I'm not complaining about the result of that one.

+Matthews = —GRONK.

I'm not complaining about the result of that one.

A Clay Matthews that can't run defend or cover. And now only has 3 sacks. I really wonder if he stopped using HgH. And one of his sacks was b/c Cam Newton ran out of bounds 1 yard short of the LOS.

Going crazy over drafting Solder might be a bit too far in my mind. Like the pick, he has been great and will get even better. There are always the alternative pick but cant really see anything wrong in getting him. If you would have questioned Glass-I, I could have accepted that although the jury is still out on him in my mind. Solder, no way man.

Oh ye, Wilkerson, is he really bringing anything we cant get from the guys we have now ?

Just what I thought. Seems like a waste of a 1st rounder.

He sometimes gets blown off the line on run plays.

That's expected. He played in the MAC. Major leap from the Mac to the NFL.

Heyward hasn't been starting and he has similar numbers...same sack total. And Heyward is the backup for Keisel.

The Nate Solder pick doesn't bother me and if Marcus Cannon stays healthy the Pats have solidified the OL years for 5-10 years. The picks that really bothered me were Dowling, Vereen and Ridley. I like the players and hope they work out but all of them were picked too early. Dowling may have been available in the 3rd round and both Vereen and Ridley may have been picked one round too early.

The Nate Solder pick doesn't bother me and if Marcus Cannon stays healthy the Pats have solidified the OL years for 5-10 years. The picks that really bothered me were Dowling, Vereen and Ridley. I like the players and hope they work out but all of them were picked too early. Dowling may have been available in the 3rd round and both Vereen and Ridley may have been picked one round too early.

Wonderful, more of this crap...:bricks:

Dowling would not have been available in the 3rd round. Remember, the Bills, after us, took a CB.

pretty sure nobody cares who you wanted to draft, pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back