PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I can't help it - I'm getting excited about Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to disagree slightly. BB seems to have a soft spot for receivers who have no intention of putting in the work to learn our offense.

Not really a criticism, he's the greatest ever, given salary cap constrictions. But he's sentimental about football and sometimes really wants a receiver he loves to fit.

Just curious id love an example of this. If you're thinking of Chad Johnson I disagree. He was worth the efforts the team made to get him involved but bowed out after realizing it wasn't going to happen. I can't think of anyone else the team tried that hard with.

Is it fair to say the last two weeks we've learned Butler is a starting caliber CB?

He made the best WR in football earn every catch & only allowed one catch yesterday when he was stuck covering two WRs at once. He's also a heck of a tackler as a corner.

We have no idea on his ceiling, but he seems at worst like a solid man to man, tackling corner. That helps for 2016+.

I am very comfortable with him as a CB1. He will only get better.

Here are the two touchdowns Malcolm Butler has allowed this season. And it always seems he's in position to break them up. Why is his timing so off?

Here are the two touchdowns Malcolm Butler has allowed this season. And it always seems he's in position to break them up. Why is his timing so off?

All I know is it should be very fixable.

He is looking really good though. I'm curious to know what his ceiling is.

Going off of Jeff Howe's stats.

Take out that last drive. Butler held Antonio Brown to 5 catches on 6 targets and 71 yards.

Malcolm Butler: 5-12, 72 yards, TD, three PBUs

Read more at: Patriots Advanced Stats: Patrick Chung, Dominique Easley Shine In Passing Game

Since week 1 and having to face the Big Ben vs. Antonio Brown combo:

Bills: 1/1
Jaguars: 2/5
Cowboys 1/4
Colts: 5/12
Total: 9/22

Butler's given up 41% comp pct. since week 1 and is on pace for 22 PBUs. The catches he has given up have been contested too. He also shows up in run defense well.

I know people have differing opinions on Butler so far, but IMO he's played at a 2013 Talib type level for us and the stats back that up.

Read more at: Patriots Advanced Stats: Patrick Chung, Dominique Easley Shine In Passing Game

Cowboys 1/4

Butler's given up 41% comp pct. since week 1 and is on pace for 22 PBUs. The catches he has given up have been contested too. He also shows up in run defense well.

I know people have differing opinions on Butler so far, but IMO he's played at a 2013 Talib type level for us and the stats back that up.
Maybe you can say hes been similar to the post-injury version of 2013 Talib, but pre-injury 2013 Talib was on pace to be the defensive player of the year for the entire league.

Butler has a lot of potential and seems to be on the fast track to improving, but I wouldnt make Talib comparisons JUST yet.

I heard on them say on the broadcast on a pass break up by Butler thst he ran the route for the receiver. Where have I heard that before? I think he learned a metric ton from BB and Mevis last year. It's starting to show week to week.

Right now IMO Butler is good enough. Not as good as you'd like but good enough for him to be your #1 CB and win. The good news is he will get better as the year goes on though.

Cowboys 1/4

It's worth pointing out that Brown was target 23 times resulting in 20 catches for 303 yards in his next 2 games before Big Ben went down.

Right now IMO Butler is good enough. Not as good as you'd like but good enough for him to be your #1 CB and win. The good news is he will get better as the year goes on though.
The thing that makes me think the best is yet to come with Butler is that most of the time even when he has allowed the play he has been in position to make the play, his lack of experience shows in that he doesn't always time his jump or position himself properly to make the play. As he gets more experience he will make more plays that he just misses on currently.

The thing that makes me think the best is yet to come with Butler is that most of the time even when he has allowed the play he has been in position to make the play, his lack of experience shows in that he doesn't always time his jump or position himself properly to make the play. As he gets more experience he will make more plays that he just misses on currently.

The td and catches butler gave up last night were spectacular plays with him in position. I believe experience is really what he needs to grow into a star keystone player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST