PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you feel if we drafted Revis and Leonard in the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Revis and Leonard in the first?

The 2nd and 3rd are fine spots for a receiver (TE or WR) and a LB (we can only hope).

Couldn't Patrick Pass fill Leonards role with the Pats, I don't think a first round should be spent on Leonard. I hope they draft defense and defense with the first three picks, hopefully McCauley is there with the second round pick, I think this fellow will be a shutdown corner in the nfl.

If pioli thinks someone is a "shutdown corner" in the NFL, we'll draft him in the first round and have a contributer for five years.

If Leonard reminds you of Pass, I don't think you've seen him play much. Besides, isn't it about time for Pass to retire?

To be a bit more serious, I would like to us draft Leonard in the second, moving up if we need to.

Couldn't Patrick Pass fill Leonards role with the Pats, I don't think a first round should be spent on Leonard. I hope they draft defense and defense with the first three picks, hopefully McCauley is there with the second round pick, I think this fellow will be a shutdown corner in the nfl.

Last edited:
He doesn't remind me of Pass, I just feel like that's the type of player he will be in the NFL a RB/FB hybrid, which means he won't be getting the bulk of your carries. And I don't think a player like that warrant a first round draft pick. There has to be better value in the first round if there isn't then you might as well stock up for next year.

The 2nd and 3rd are fine spots for a receiver (TE or WR) and a LB (we can only hope).
Brian Leonard is not rated a first round draft pick.

Revis is a fine pick. Leonard is a talent, but would be a luxury pick for the Pats. I have great confidence in Maroney, and would rather draft a talent equal to Leonard at another position of greater need.

Revis is a curious choice, IMO. He is very highly rated, but--- he's a jr. # of tackles declined to 35 last yr. with 4 passes broken up and 2 receptions. Since Pitts other two CB's were freshmen, you might say he wasn't getting much action. This kid is coming out with a yr. left and the only yr. he really showed what he could do was his freshman yr. All his stats declined since then. Surprising that every "100 list" has him rated so high since his experience is so thin, compared to the other top 5 rated CB's.
This kid may be Superman, I haven't seen him, but my feeling is he won't start this year unless we suffer another year of injuries.

Leonard, yes. Frank Gore lite. Dillon's done.

Last edited:
I'm fine with Maroney in the backfield, I'm not too excited about another #1 pick at RB/FB. We've shot our wad on Maroney IMO. If we're going to take a shot offensively in the first round (which I wouldn't) I'd do it at WR or TE where we can get the player on the field with Maroney.

Disappointed. I'd rather have Chris Houston than Revis and Leonard in the 1st round, for us, is a reach especially with someone like Anthony Spencer on the board.

I'd like Revis at 24, but the only RB I'd consider at 28 is Lynch. Right now, I don't think either would make it to us, but things can change in 10 weeks.

I agree that two stud running backs is a bit of overkill, but if they both kick ass, we can flip one for a package of picks in a couple of years. I don't think Dillon will be around next year, btw.

I'd like Revis at 24, but the only RB I'd consider at 28 is Lynch. Right now, I don't think either would make it to us, but things can change in 10 weeks.

I agree that two stud running backs is a bit of overkill, but if they both kick ass, we can flip one for a package of picks in a couple of years. I don't think Dillon will be around next year, btw.
Did Lynch get that rape complaint sorted out?

I'd be extremely disappointed if they reached for Leonard at 28. He's someone that the Pats should target. However, he's not a first rounder. If you're thinking of taking him at 28, then you trade out of the first round and get some extra picks. He'll be there in the middle of round 2...

Revis is a curious choice, IMO. He is very highly rated, but--- he's a jr. # of tackles declined to 35 last yr. with 4 passes broken up and 2 receptions. Since Pitts other two CB's were freshmen, you might say he wasn't getting much action. This kid is coming out with a yr. left and the only yr. he really showed what he could do was his freshman yr. All his stats declined since then. Surprising that every "100 list" has him rated so high since his experience is so thin, compared to the other top 5 rated CB's.
This kid may be Superman, I haven't seen him, but my feeling is he won't start this year unless we suffer another year of injuries.

Do you expect ANYONE we select at #24 to start this season? As a general guideline, year two is the expected date for anyone in that slot to become a starter. And any CB would be part of the sub-packages his rookie season, eventually competing for the starting spot the next season. That would be the hope...

I'd be extremely disappointed if they reached for Leonard at 28. He's someone that the Pats should target. However, he's not a first rounder. If you're thinking of taking him at 28, then you trade out of the first round and get some extra picks. He'll be there in the middle of round 2...

You can't see the JEST taking him with their first second-rounder?

I'd have zero problem with those two picks. And for future reference, I doubt I'll have a problem with ANY of our picks. :)

Brian Leonard is not rated a first round draft pick.

Not saying that I want Leonard in the first round, but several great players like Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, etc. weren't rated as first round draft picks but most would give them first round grades in retrospect considering their level of play so take ratings with a grain of salt. But I also understand that if none of the other teams would have picked him in the first round , then you are not getting value by picking him too high. The tricky part is that you don't know how the other teams have Leonard rated. That's the fun part of the draft since the ratings and draft gurus are often wrong. Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting Leonard for a second round pick or even trading up in the second round if the team thinks he is worth the value.

Last edited:

I know that many on this board would not want to see another running back taking in the first round this year, but i'd be delighted if we somehow ended up with both Revis and Lynch in the first round. Lynch seems to me to be a downhill power runner who drags several tacklers with him, whereas I see Maroney as a more shifty runner who can break to the outside. Both are explosive and potential game changing players and would complement each other well. I'd definitely rather have Lynch than Leonard if a running back were chosen in the first round but both can be the power runners that Dillon was.

Last edited:
Lynch is an outstanding back and could really excel in Denver's one cut offense. It's hard to imagine Lynch falling past Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes