PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How The Pats Should Draft - 5-Technique DE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What the Pats should do in the draft:

I've been following the draft for literally over 30 years. This is by far the deepest DE draft ever. Where is the Pats biggest need? DE/Hybrid OLB. I hope BB doesn't blow this. I'll tell you what the Pats should do and why.

They need to go DE with their first pick, unless 6 teams trade in front of them, and run the table on DEs (some of the latest mocks have that happening). Then with the 28th pick, they can trade up or down depending on how the board is falling, but if at all possible I would not rule out doubling up on DE or hybrid OLB. In fact, that's how I hope it falls for them.

They're weakest position is the 5 Technique DE.

The best pure 5 Technique in the draft is JJ Watts from Wisconsin, and at 6-6" 305, he's the size BB covets for that position. However, I've watched film on JJ Watts, Cameron Jordan of Cal, and Wilkerson of Temple. I noticed that on almost everyone of Watts' sacks, he's lunging making an ankle or foot tackle while reaching as far as possible. It's uncanny. Both Jordan and Wilkerson, of all the DEs I saw, had a style of overpowering wrap up sacks and tackles. I love that. Jordan is incredibly bright too, and BB puts value in that.

IF they got both those guys to go with Wilfolk on the inside, they would be set for years to come. The defensive backfield would improve too, by them not having to cover players for 10 seconds.

The team also needs O linemen, but since it's a weak year for them, drafting one in the first round would be like getting a 2nd rounder in past years. ESPN compared the top 5 OTs in this years draft to the top 5 in the 2010 draft (the best this year against the best last year, the second best this year against last years second best etc), and in 5 out of 5 last years won. They would be O.K. with drafting one with the 28th pick, but not the 17th (my caveat is I like USCs Tyrone Smith a lot - even better than the BC kid).

Same thing with RB. They need one, but it's a weak year for it. Getting one with the 28th is O.K., but not the 17th. In fact, the two best rookie RBs in the draft last year were undrafted free agents, so it's better to get one later unless you're in love with a guy. They may be in love with the kid from Illinois.

So, at DE, Quinn could slide to them. Bowers, because of his knee could slide to them at 17 (he's versatile at DT and DE). Then there's Watts, Jordan, and Wilkerson. Kerrigan and Aldon Smith could be hybrids that they like, all though some question whether they can drop back effectively as a 3-4 OLB. Both, however, have a real knack with getting to the QB, and getting tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Getting a 5 Technique, and one of these guys could be a great approach, if they think can drop effectively. Heyward, DE, and Houston, DE/OLB, Clayborn, DE, Ayers, OLB and Sheard, OLB are a few to watch with the 28th pick. If they are all that is left, they may elect to go a different position. In other words, it's better to get the 1st or 2nd rated RB even in an off year, than the 7th or 8th rated DE/OLB.

They need to go DE, OLB, unless the picks don't fall right. This is the year to do it. Them putting pass rushing players on the front 7, to a 14 and 2 team that only lacked a pass rush is the way to go.

I agree on the need to go DE and OLB although personally I'd prefer to take an OLB with #17 rather than a DE. As you said this draft is deep in DEs so as I see it its better to go after an OLB early as they are a scarcer (sp?) commodity, a high quality DE can still be had at #28 (although saying that the people I expect we are targetting as OLBs are probably those who are being listed as DEs by analysts). I'm not sold on Bowers, there's a reason why his stock has been plummetting and frankly I'm not sure I see him as a great fit in our defense (too big to play OLB, too small to play DE) but I'm no expert so I may be wrong. Personally I'd like to see us go after Kerrigan with the first pick or possibly trade up to get Quinn and then go after Muhammad Wilkerson with #28. I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Jordan go at 17 but I'm not sure I'd like to see us go DE at 17 (especially seeing as we gave up a DE, albeit one who's best days may be behind him, to get 17).

My guess:

#17 M. Pouncey C/G
#28 trade down with Cincy for 2nd next year.
#33 Akeem Ayers OLB
#35 Cameron Heyward DE
#60 Clint Boling OT
#74 traded to NO for 2nd next year
#92 traded to SEA for 2nd next year
#125 Stanley Havili FB (Obligatory intellectual blind spot)
#130 Greg McElroy QB (just seems like a fait accompli for this guy and the Pats)
#193 & #159 used to trade up for McElroy

#17 M. Pouncey C/G Koppen is not getting any younger and there are issues with Mankins. OT would be tempting but the noise is of the Pats signing Light to a multi-year deal and Vollmer moving to LT soon.

#28 trade down with Cincy for a pick next year and #35. It's BB, there has to be a move. All the noise is of moving #33 but if I'm another team I would ask, 'Why wait?' Cincy with Palmer's declaration that he wants out might be the best fit. (Question is, are both Palmer Brothers in the package deal?)

#33 Best available OLB I'm guessing Akeem Ayers. Most of the talk is ayers dropping down to the early 40's but I'm gambling he becomes the best available OLB. You could go with DE but with the signing of Stroud and the current list of DEs on the roster you could wait till #35.

#35 Best available DE Cameron Heyward This one is iffy for me. Heyward could be gone in the first round and with a one pick gap between #33 and #35 and someone could jump up to 34 to pick up a player.

#60 This is where it get's fuzzy and my thoughts go to a OT project. I'm hoping Clint Boling is there. He seems to be all over the place but I see him at this spot for some reason.

I see BB moving both of the 3rds for 2nds next year. This is a 14-2 team and young. It would be guiding the lilly to add all of this youth right now. I say target the areas that have age on them and ship the rest to next year.

I've been lurking for a couple years here and after reading the posts and study the roster this is what you see.

1st rd: lineman OL or DL
2nd and later OLBs
5th and later: QBs

Also, if you look at the RBs on the roster. BB doesn't really keep drafted RBs. The only RB drafted on the roster is Kevin Faulk and he's was drafted in 99 before BB came to New England.

With the number of vet RBs on the market, I say BB signs a couple of them and picks up a UDFA RB.

I agree completely with the OP. The Pats will be dominate the second it gets a legitimate pass rush.

My guess:

#17 M. Pouncey C/G
#28 trade down with Cincy for 2nd next year.
#33 Akeem Ayers OLB
#35 Cameron Heyward DE
#60 Clint Boling OT
#74 traded to NO for 2nd next year
#92 traded to SEA for 2nd next year
#125 Stanley Havili FB (Obligatory intellectual blind spot)
#130 Greg McElroy QB (just seems like a fait accompli for this guy and the Pats)
#193 & #159 used to trade up for McElroy

#17 M. Pouncey C/G Koppen is not getting any younger and there are issues with Mankins. OT would be tempting but the noise is of the Pats signing Light to a multi-year deal and Vollmer moving to LT soon.

#28 trade down with Cincy for a pick next year and #35. It's BB, there has to be a move. All the noise is of moving #33 but if I'm another team I would ask, 'Why wait?' Cincy with Palmer's declaration that he wants out might be the best fit. (Question is, are both Palmer Brothers in the package deal?)

#33 Best available OLB I'm guessing Akeem Ayers. Most of the talk is ayers dropping down to the early 40's but I'm gambling he becomes the best available OLB. You could go with DE but with the signing of Stroud and the current list of DEs on the roster you could wait till #35.

#35 Best available DE Cameron Heyward This one is iffy for me. Heyward could be gone in the first round and with a one pick gap between #33 and #35 and someone could jump up to 34 to pick up a player.

#60 This is where it get's fuzzy and my thoughts go to a OT project. I'm hoping Clint Boling is there. He seems to be all over the place but I see him at this spot for some reason.

I see BB moving both of the 3rds for 2nds next year. This is a 14-2 team and young. It would be guiding the lilly to add all of this youth right now. I say target the areas that have age on them and ship the rest to next year.

I've been lurking for a couple years here and after reading the posts and study the roster this is what you see.

1st rd: lineman OL or DL
2nd and later OLBs
5th and later: QBs

Also, if you look at the RBs on the roster. BB doesn't really keep drafted RBs. The only RB drafted on the roster is Kevin Faulk and he's was drafted in 99 before BB came to New England.

With the number of vet RBs on the market, I say BB signs a couple of them and picks up a UDFA RB.

I've read in no less that 20 places that Pouncey is not close to being the player his twin brother is, with the Steelers. For the Pats to draft him at an earlier spot than what the Steelers took his brother, would be a mistake IMHO.

I agree on Pouncey but I think the market is going to drive up on him. I think the Pats need to add youth to the line badly. RB aint gonna happen because BB doesn't really draft RBs to keep maybe a flier in the late rounds.

But we are talking about a 14-2 team with 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and three more picks in the late rounds. It's guiding the lilly time.

I agree on Pouncey but I think the market is going to drive up on him. I think the Pats need to add youth to the line badly. RB aint gonna happen because BB doesn't really draft RBs to keep maybe a flier in the late rounds.

But we are talking about a 14-2 team with 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and three more picks in the late rounds. It's guiding the lilly time.

Just because you want youth, you are going to draft the second coming of Damien Woody? He proved this year he is not a center. As a guard, he is maybe the 4th best in the draft.

There are 3 prospects that come to mind of guys who owe NFL players some money if they go high:

Brooks Reed - Clay Matthews
Taiwan Jones - Chris Johnson
Mike Pouncey - Maurkice Pouncey

Ones on the right are good players (despite all being overrated to an extent, imo). Ones on the left are being overrated based on their comparable hair/speed/name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back