PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How shocked/upset would you be with Gresham in the 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First the perception that he cannot, or won't block is false. He was rarely called on to block because he was one of the top targets in the offense was, almost always sent out on a route. I've seen many many occasions where he blocked, and did so adequately. Now, for sure, he is not a supreme blocker. If that is from a lack of practice, experience, or talent I don't know. He has the frame to bulk up so assuming he is coachable then I can't see why he couldn't become an acceptable blocker when called on.

I've seen him block on running plays and it is nothing special. Not a lot of heart or courage displayed.

I would be shocked if BB took any player that is not a D Lineman in the first round.

I'd be devestated.

I've seen him block on running plays and it is nothing special. Not a lot of heart or courage displayed.

I would be shocked if BB took any player that is not a D Lineman in the first round.

Like I said, adequate. Room to grow? I don't know maybe, maybe not.

He is a receiving tight end. Not the perfect fit for us. Still a good player. Not who I want in the first round at all.

Then again it's BB, so all bets are off on who'll he pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLXZq7Rv_NY

Last edited:
They didn't take 2 TEs back to back in the first round, did they?

Graham was more than 1 year before Watson, IIRC.

I'd be upset, he's a great receiving TE, but there's better value. Scott Sicko in the 5th or so.

We know BB has never shown a reluctance to invest heavily in the tight end position. He took tight ends back to back in the 1st round in consecutive years. Now however both Graham and Watson are gone. Are we going to rely on a past his prime Alge Crumpler to be the guy at TE? I don't think so. For depth alone the Pats will draft at least another tight end or maybe even two.

But is Gresham worth a 1st? How upset would you be if BB took him in the 1st round? I'm not concerned with Gresham's ability to catch the ball, that seems self evident, however I AM worried about his purported lack of blocking ability and of course the injury concerns.

I'm not even sure about his great hands that everybody talks about. I was watching NFL Network after his pro day. They showed exactly two passes to him, and he badly bobbled both of them. It means little, I realize, but I did take note of it. If BB keeps chasing the dragon until he gets it right at TE, and picks this guy in the first round, I will be BUMMED! He might even be there with one of their second picks being that he missed all of last season.

I would not be shocked but very upset.
STUPID
We don't use the TE and have many other needs more important.

Dennis Pitta runs great routes, has great hands, blocks adequately, works hard, acts like a grown-up (he's two years older than most of this class), put up the most bench reps (27), by far the best shuttle (4.17) and best 3-cone (6.72) of any TE at the Combine. Same height as Gresham (16 pounds lighter), virtually the same 40 and 20, vertical and broad jump as Gresham.

Pitta should be available around #95-#100 - if we can snag a 3rd-round pick.

So, we can either spend the #22 on Gresham, OR we can trade it for another 2010 2nd-rounder, Pitta, and possibly a 2011 2nd-rounder. I mean, IF we want a good receiving TE at all.

I wouldn't be shocked or upset. We need somebody to stretch the field and be an endzone threat besides Randy Moss. Gresham could do that.

Dennis Pitta runs great routes, has great hands, blocks adequately, works hard, acts like a grown-up (he's two years older than most of this class), put up the most bench reps (27), by far the best shuttle (4.17) and best 3-cone (6.72) of any TE at the Combine. Same height as Gresham (16 pounds lighter), virtually the same 40 and 20, vertical and broad jump as Gresham.

Pitta should be available around #95-#100 - if we can snag a 3rd-round pick.

So, we can either spend the #22 on Gresham, OR we can trade it for another 2010 2nd-rounder, Pitta, and possibly a 2011 2nd-rounder. I mean, IF we want a good receiving TE at all.

Very well put. I agree. I love Pitta. I think Tom E. Curran is pretty high on him too.

I'd much rather go in a different direction at 22 (Graham, Kindle, Odrick) or trade down if these guys are off the board.

Last edited:
Without overreacting in the slightest:

1 x glass of Scotch
1 x revolver

I wouldn't be shocked or really pissed, especially if Graham and Kindle are off the board. If he's the best player available I'd have no problem with it, I watched the guy a lot at Ok and he was money. That being said I'm sick of us drafting guys made of glass a la Crable, McKenzie, Tate, & Wheatley.

I'll be steamed like a clam! :(

Neither shocked nor upset. He is the best tight end in the draft and we have that need. For this team priority does not trump value. One could claim that a passrusher is of greater priority so, therefore, we should draft Kindle. The problem with that reasoning is that Gesham is a better TE than Kindle is a passrusher. Kindle isn't even the best at his position in this draft. In round one I'd rather get the best player that fills a need. As far as I'm concerned there isn't a better TE after Gresham.

Another thing is a visit to team facilities. Bill said that most of the time the player is there for a medical. I find it odd that Gresham's injury didn't require a visit. That means one of two things. Either his injury history isn't an issue and he's draftable or he was crossed off the list after Caserio interviewed him at the pro day. I think it has to be one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST