PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Optimistic are you feeling (Week 5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelocatedPatFan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
And if you aren't feeling optimistic, what would make you feel more optimism?

The Patriots are 4-1 after taking a lackluster performance by the offense against what many thought would be a playoff contender in the Cincinnati Bengals. Brady’s streak of consecutive games with a passing TD ended at 52. The offensive line seemed to have issues and the running game couldn’t provide the relief needed to establish the passing game. After losing Wilfork the week before, Patriots nation was miserable when Kelly went down with a non-contact injury. The Defense played well enough to win this game and it may be the first time the patriots lost a game when they held their opponents to 13 points or less (or it’s been a long time since that happened).

What’s optimistic
We’re 4-1. Even a loss this week will still have us atop the AFCE. While the Dolphins have their bye this week, they can’t claim the top spot until week 8. And, they can only do that by stopping us on our home field. It’s about time we played games that mattered this early in the season (against divisional teams).

Defense. While we seem to be running out of able bodies able to clog the middle of the field, we do have the mad scientist BB managing the helm and the rest of the D is looking good (well, we do seem to have issues with athletic TE’s, but who doesn’t?) While our yardage stats seem middle to bottom 2/3, our team ranks #2 in points allowed. At the end of the day, the scoreboard really only cares about points.

Team offense Is it possible for Brady to have 2 bad games in a row? I expect Dante Scarnecchia will have settled any issues on the Oline, even if w have to replace our Center this week (Which isn’t as bad for us as some teams). When we get Ridley back, we’ll have better balance. When we get Vereen back, we have the ability to open the field. IF we get Gronk back, we have the ability to dominate. Lots of ifs, but it’s optimism, not a crystal ball

Schedule. After the Saints, we got to the Jets, host Miami, host Steelers and then have a well timed bye. We should beat the Jets, I don’t care how much positive press they seem to have and how we barely beat them. Miama, could go either way, but we have to take care of the division if we want to make the playoffs. The Steelers, well they’re glad the Jags/Giants are expected to be the worst team in football thus far.

Mild concerns
Patriots Nation After looking at our “Predict the Score Contest”, hosted by Alamo, it appears that Patriot Nation is reeling and anticipating another loss. Is this just a reaction to last weeks fiasco, a sign of troubling times ahead, or just that the Saints are that dominant (though they do seem to have our number in the last few matchups as I recall). We’re at home and we have lots of the Patriots faithful fearing for a loss. Can’t blame them, how many injuries can a team overcome before they need some time for the “next man up” to get settled into the starter role.

Gronk’s return This weeke it seemed to go from a matter of if and not when. While we have a Doctor

What’s on my nerves
Injuries. While no team will ever admit injuries derail their season, we fans have that luxury. At the current pace the team is getting injured, we might not even be able to have the necessary number of game day active people on the roster (without cutting and injured player). Hopefully, the PS players are starting to step up because they are the next man up.

The hits. Not the ones on the field, but from the bad press. Doctors, Gronk’s status, injuries. I’m not sure if some of it’s piling on after the whistle or if it’s been unusually quiet this week. I’ve been tuned out, but there just seems to be a negative vibe to everything. Not sure if it’s me because I thought I was at peace with the loss (losses are going to happen and atleast it was to a defensively good team and not a trap game)

What’s on my mind
I shouldn't be enjoying the Giants demise, but I am. After denying us the last 2 Superbowls, I’m actively rooting for them to be bad. I just want to see them improve enough so they don’t get a top 3 draft pick. Can we spell elite without Eli now? They typically don't gain momentum until the end of the season, but I think they've dug themselves a deep hole. Even if it is in the previously thought of as dominant NFCE.

The advantages to being tuned out or otherwise real busy this week is that I haven’t heard the press fawning all over Pyyton this week. But, it does have the look and feel of something special… It really hurts to say that, but its inevitable and you have to appreciate it because Peyton did get to decide where he wanted to play and by all accounts, he chose wisely. Getting the best slot receiver in the game I think is what makes it awful for me.

I'm numb this week[/b[ Maybe it's lack of sleep catching up to me or my lack of reading the news (though you'd think that'd make me feel better), but I'm numb this week. I'll definitely be watching the game and while it feels like a game we can lose (and we would have said that before week 1), it feels more likely after last week. I'll be most interested to see how the team responds after last weeks performance.

We won the toss and decided for the offense to take the field first Is this going against what coaches expect or is there a reason for this shift in philosophy (better defense)?

My optimism is not the highest but can be altered if we at least play a respectable game against the saints. I fear a 45-3 kinda game happening to us even though I think it highly unlikely anyone drops 40 on us, but if it were to happen than this would be the game.

Also, I have hated for years how eli just throws it up and bad things never happen. These int is what usually happens to romo. I am actually enjoying giant losses more than a jet one, and everyone loves a jet loss.

Lastly, always defer. Teams usually play the last four minutes of the second quarter scared and it seems to play into our hands better when they fear us getting the ball back after the half.

Honestly this is one of first times I can remember thinking that the Patriots may not be in the same class as their opponent. New Orleans just feels like a better all around team.

That said, Pats squeak out a win with some guts , tears and a big scoop of moxie.

im excited to see how the team bounces back after last week, but im prepared for a loss, as i think the saints are playing really well.

Honestly this is one of first times I can remember thinking that the Patriots may not be in the same class as their opponent. New Orleans just feels like a better all around team.

That said, Pats squeak out a win with some guts , tears and a big scoop of moxie.

How? We can't score anymore.

Iam more mad because the jets won last week and if they win this week, we might be playing for the division lead in ny against a charged up team. Has made this game more meaningful that it couldve been.

I want to see more Dobson. I think he could be the best wide out going down the last 8 game stretch. To me, I think he has better hands then KT and he has some explosive ability.

Surprisingly I'm pretty "even-keeled" so far over the season. My expectations and hopes are for a 10-6 season and an AFC East title. Go into the playoffs fairly healthy with a healthy Gronk, a more experienced receiver corps and a defense ranked in the top 1/2 of the league. Maybe they can catch fire and make a run, won't be surprised if they don't. At this point I hope they can stay relatively healthy and win the games they're supposed to win. Today's match-up isn't one I'm feeling overly confident about though.

No, this game has bad written all over it. But 6-2 is pretty good and I still see a 11-5 year as being possible, which is pretty darn good with this group of players.

At the beginning of hte season, looking at the schedule and the injuries, I thought that if they were 4-2 after the first 6, including 2 divisional wins, it would be a fantastic start.

That's what I'm expecting. This game is gravy.

That said, I'm LESS confident now than I was at the beginning of the season. Gronk's situation is making me nervous - and even without him, I never expected them to be this thin at TE (Ballard, Fells).

And Wilfork is an enormous loss.

IF Gronk comes back...IF Amendola gets back on track...IF Armstead can make a contribution...IF Talib stays healthy...IF the rookie WRs can continue to develop...IF they get a kick returner going (Washington? Boyce?)...

Lot of "IFs" on this team, and most need to come through for them to be in a class to challenge for the SB.

After a L today. Next weeks game will be huge in NY. For 1st place. Not optimistic ar all today. Next week yes

BYW. Every TV show is trashing the pats haha

I want to see more Dobson. I think he could be the best wide out going down the last 8 game stretch. To me, I think he has better hands then KT and he has some explosive ability.

Dobson lacks confidence.

I am optimistic that our O won't lay a turd like last week. I think we will be in this game until the fourth quarter.

Some good comments in here.

I don't think the Jets are "for real" and are probably overachieving at this point. While they might gain enough confidence to become dangerous, I don't see them as a candidate to win the AFCE.

It feels like we'll make the playoffs, but we'll need all the offense back and completely healthy; plus, no more injuries on defense to even consider February aspirations. Denver would have to come back down to earth too (which should happen in the 2nd half...hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes