PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Much Would We Save By Signing Nedney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Nedney's numbers are equal or better then AV's in terms of percentages when looking at under 50 yds. Nedney,(who has never missed inside 30yds and is 102 for 110 under 40yds), hits for 81%, AV for 74% from 49yds or closer. These are regular season stats only and, yes, AV has intangibles that come from his execution under pressure.

Since kicking FG's of longer than 50yds is falling out of vogue - AV only tried 2 this year and missed them both - Nedney's accuracy is attractive.

But, and this is a big but, how much would we save in cash and how would that be offest by losing AV's intangibles?

My guess is Nedney signs for about $1.3 mil with a small bonus, is that $1.2 to $2million/yr we save enough to let AV go? Considering all the young players coming up for new contracts that money could go a long way.

Stop gap measure...he's 33 and Adam is a year older...so??? Money saved now..and for the long term what happens?? I would like to keep AdamV here unless the money he wishes for is outrageous..I think the hold up is the CBA..so no..I would pass...They will go with a younger kicker IF they have a long term plan.

I don't know what stats you're looking at but Adam is a career 82% kicker while Nedney is a career 77% kicker. Not a battle hardened cold weather kicker either per se given the teams and conferences he's kicked for.

And his 2003 and 2004 stats are wonderful - WTH happened to a kicker that basically kept him out for all of 2 seasons? This year his kickoffs were 2 yards shorter on average than AV's as well and a lot shorter than his used to be so whatever happened appears to have shortened his leg on kickoffs.

I'm planning on this team needing a couple of clutch kicks in the playoffs this season, so I'll pass and find a creative way to sign Adam up for another 3-4 seasons or bite the bullet and tag him one more time.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Nedney's numbers are equal or better then AV's in terms of percentages when looking at under 50 yds. Nedney,(who has never missed inside 30yds and is 102 for 110 under 40yds), hits for 81%, AV for 74% from 49yds or closer. These are regular season stats only and, yes, AV has intangibles that come from his execution under pressure.

Since kicking FG's of longer than 50yds is falling out of vogue - AV only tried 2 this year and missed them both - Nedney's accuracy is attractive.

But, and this is a big but, how much would we save in cash and how would that be offest by losing AV's intangibles?

My guess is Nedney signs for about $1.3 mil with a small bonus, is that $1.2 to $2million/yr we save enough to let AV go? Considering all the young players coming up for new contracts that money could go a long way.

We could possibly save all the travel and other expenses associated with the playoffs and Superbowl. :rolleyes:

Frankly, imo NO KICKER IS WORTH 2 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR. I don't really feel that AV even warrants that kind of money. I would be just fine if he didn't come back given he wants over 2 million. Less than that I would sign him but over 2 mil and I would say thanks for the memories and good luck!

Hasn't Nedney missed the last two seasons with traumatic leg injuries? I'd rather go with a rookie.

Yeah, there was a typo - 81% for Nedney and 84% for AV (not 74%) for kicks of less than 50yds. The corrected numbers don't really change the question that much: is AV worth twice as much or more than what we could sign Nedney for?

Nedney had a major knee injury that's why '03 and '04 have poor numbers. He did very well in SF last year (26 of 28 for 92.9%, including 2 of 3 over 50yds) and was considered for NFL Comeback Player of the Year. Nedney is four months younger than AV so comparative age isn't an issue but he would be a much cheaper bridge to a younger kicker than AV would be. Though I'm sure AV has at least 3-5 good years left in him.

Last edited:
Another "what have you done for me last week" thread. Until Adam proves he doesn't have it anymore he's the guy I want to have out there when the game is on the line.

All those "stats" sound fine if you are talking about baseball. This is football and "stats' mean less than clutch performance.

RayClay said:
We could possibly save all the travel and other expenses associated with the playoffs and Superbowl. :rolleyes:

That sums it up for me. I want AV out there with the game on the line no matter what percentage is in the books....add to our HFA playoffs games with snow forcast it is a no brainer IMO

PATSNUTme said:
Another "what have you done for me last week" thread. Until Adam proves he doesn't have it anymore he's the guy I want to have out there when the game is on the line.

All those "stats" sound fine if you are talking about baseball. This is football and "stats' mean less than clutch performance.
Umm.. didn't AV miss a pretty important kick in Denver?

KDPpatsfan said:

Umm. As it turned out , no.

Now, if the rest of the team hadn't screwed up, then his screw up might have been "important". But thanks to the fumbles and interceptions and the questionable calls, it turned out to be unimportant.

Even if it turned out to be the game winner, it wopuld not have cancelled out the all the other game winners that he has made. Oakland "snow game", SB XXXVI, SB XXXVIII just to name a few.

I certainly need more evidence that he has "lost it' before I throw the greatest clutch kicker in history over the bridge.

KDPpatsfan said:

Given the 5 turnovers, not really.

Adam is a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just like Brady. Think of all the guys we could sign or extend with the $10M we could save if we swapped him for a leagure average replacement. :rolleyes:

Colts fans might be yukking it up right now if they had a clutch kicker instead of a merely accurate one. (And they are in the market for one too.) Ditto the Seahawks even. Bet they'd both gladly pay a million or two more. We're spoiled because we've got a guy who can kick in a snowstorm when the season is on the line.

I find it hard to believe that people are actually trying to say a FG attempt with 12 minutes left in th 4th quarter of a playoff game to cut it to a 1 possesion deficit wasn't a big FG.

And I want to keep Adam and would be willing to franchise him one more time if necessary.

Signing a good FA kicker probably wouldn't save the money to make it worthwhile. To have significant savings (of $2M+) we'd be looking at a draft choice or a young guy like Nick Novak.

MoLewisrocks said:
Given the 5 turnovers, not really.
This is twistd logic. No one fumble/INT was important given the other four turnovers and the missed FG?

No, each was a serious mistake.

Anyway, the point made was that AV does not ALWAYS make clutch kicks. He does a lot, and he is an asseet to the team, and I hope they keep him.

But last year he was mediocre, not good not bad, just a middle of the pack kicker. I'd like to keep him, but not as the highest paid kicker in the NFL again.

It isn't AV bashing, just an acknowledgement that last year he wasn't that good. Will he be better next year? Likely so. The best? Not so likely IMO.

spacecrime said:
Anyway, the point made was that AV does not ALWAYS make clutch kicks.
Like the two in SB 38 that he missed. Everyone remembers the big ones he makes, and I still think the tying kick in the Snow Bowl was the best kick I've ever seen, but there's big misses in there too.

Well, every kick has the potential to be game-altering, obviously.

But when you look at kicks where it wasn't merely potentially on the line, but actually on the line (i.e., fourth-quarter kicks to tie or win the game), Vinatieri has been flawless throughout the Belichick/Brady era, and that is why I and many other Pats fans want to see Vinatieri in Patriot blue for the rest of his career.

I think Adam would be unwise to leave the Patriots, even if they don't break open the bank and franchise him.

Do you think Adam would be able to get all these endorsement deals elsewhere? I don't think so.

KDPpatsfan said:
Frankly, imo NO KICKER IS WORTH 2 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR. I don't really feel that AV even warrants that kind of money. I would be just fine if he didn't come back given he wants over 2 million. Less than that I would sign him but over 2 mil and I would say thanks for the memories and good luck!

Right, until of course the playoff or Superbowl winning kick is missed. Tell me all about it at that time.

IDIOTS.....

fgssand said:
Right, until of course the playoff or Superbowl winning kick is missed. Tell me all about it at that time.

IDIOTS.....

Of course you're assuming two things:

1) That another professional kicker, one of the best 32 in the world, is absolutely going to miss the kick.

2) Vinatieri absolutely would have made it.

Those are two bold assumptions, with no supporting evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back