PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Much Would We Save By Signing Nedney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
brdmaverick said:
Do you think Adam would be able to get all these endorsement deals elsewhere? I don't think so.

New (perish the thought) York?

Fanfrom1960 said:
New (perish the thought) York?
Dallas???? I really do hope they keep him...having a solid kicker CLUTCH..is key in close games..UNLESS they really want a rook...OR another kicker and wait to get a rook...LOL...really keep AdamV!!!

One more thing. Adam is a key part of the emotional core of the Patriots. He's one of the good guys. His kicks have give us all a great deal of pleasure in the last few years. Unless we absolutely cannot afford him, I want him back.

Mainefan said:
One more thing. Adam is a key part of the emotional core of the Patriots. He's one of the good guys. His kicks have give us all a great deal of pleasure in the last few years. Unless we absolutely cannot afford him, I want him back.
He's already the highest paid kicker in the league. He is also one of the best kickers in the league, but is he THE best? It's a debatable question. So, if he is such a "good guy" as you say, let him sign a reasonable contract rather than looking for a significant raise over his already highest salary. If he is unwilling to do that, sign another good kicker.

Mainefan said:

Well said. One more thing, his initials are the same as mine. Go Adam. I mean, stay, Adam.

dryheat44 said:
Of course you're assuming two things:

1) That another professional kicker, one of the best 32 in the world, is absolutely going to miss the kick.

2) Vinatieri absolutely would have made it.

Those are two bold assumptions, with no supporting evidence.
Well put. And btw..I love it when grown men call other grown men idiots for having a different opinion.

PromisedLand said:
He's already the highest paid kicker in the league. He is also one of the best kickers in the league, but is he THE best? It's a debatable question. So, if he is such a "good guy" as you say, let him sign a reasonable contract rather than looking for a significant raise over his already highest salary. If he is unwilling to do that, sign another good kicker.

Again folks there is not another good kicker available. Adam's replacement needs to be a proven cold weather kicker who can also handle kickoffs. Green Bay's Longwell might fit the bill but they are rumored to be franchising him and if not HE wants to be highest paid and is very vocal about how a cushy warm weather or indoor job would prolong his career. The other veterans on the FA list are his age or a lot older, kick in temperate climates or indoors, or have had serious injuries and missed seasons, or choked in the clutch, etc. And most of them would cost close to $2M anyway.

Picture AV filling Vanderjerk's void in Indy for a while and get back to me. Don't think they wouldn't jump at the chance since they were paying Vanderjerk just to kick FG's and carry another guy to handle kickoffs. :eek:

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Nedney's numbers are equal or better then AV's in terms of percentages when looking at under 50 yds. Nedney,(who has never missed inside 30yds and is 102 for 110 under 40yds), hits for 81%, AV for 74% from 49yds or closer. These are regular season stats only and, yes, AV has intangibles that come from his execution under pressure.

Since kicking FG's of longer than 50yds is falling out of vogue - AV only tried 2 this year and missed them both - Nedney's accuracy is attractive.

But, and this is a big but, how much would we save in cash and how would that be offest by losing AV's intangibles?

My guess is Nedney signs for about $1.3 mil with a small bonus, is that $1.2 to $2million/yr we save enough to let AV go? Considering all the young players coming up for new contracts that money could go a long way.

but he's no Adam Vinateri :rocker:

MoLewisrocks said:
Again folks there is not another good kicker available. Adam's replacement needs to be a proven cold weather kicker who can also handle kickoffs. Green Bay's Longwell might fit the bill but they are rumored to be franchising him and if not HE wants to be highest paid and is very vocal about how a cushy warm weather or indoor job would prolong his career. The other veterans on the FA list are his age or a lot older, kick in temperate climates or indoors, or have had serious injuries and missed seasons, or choked in the clutch, etc. And most of them would cost close to $2M anyway.

Picture AV filling Vanderjerk's void in Indy for a while and get back to me. Don't think they wouldn't jump at the chance since they were paying Vanderjerk just to kick FG's and carry another guy to handle kickoffs. :eek:
Good analysis. My position was based on principle, but I didn't go through and look at who is available. If you say there are no other good kickers available I'll take your word for it. Having said that, I still think there is a limit to how much you pay for a kicker.

I have no idea if the Patriots will franchise AV or what thier ceiling is for an offer to him on a deal. But, unless a team feels a PK is all they need for a legitimate SB bid, why would any team offer him any more than what the Pats have paid him the last couple of years? Yes, indeed he's made some big, high pressure FG's for the Patriots. And I hope he's back. But unless you feel all your team needs is a PK who'll make the big kick in a big game, 1st you'd have to feel you have the team to get in that position. It's not like he's made every FG he's attempted and his KO's go out of the EZ 95% of the time. The same question being mulled here, is a PK worth that much money when you can spend it on someone who plays every O or D down, would have to be decided by other teams as well. Maybe he's already hit the ceiling for a PK.

dryheat44 said:
Of course you're assuming two things:

1) That another professional kicker, one of the best 32 in the world, is absolutely going to miss the kick.

2) Vinatieri absolutely would have made it.

Those are two bold assumptions, with no supporting evidence.

My evidence is a career full of successes during playoff and superbowl time versus an abundance of missed kicks by many others.
My point was in response to the statement that no kicker is worth 3MM. I said maybe, unless of course that 3MM assures you that the kick would be made. I submit, based on past performance by AV - that he IS worth the 3MM because he is known for making such kicks. Is there any other kicker you would want on your team at that moment? If you say no then you must agree he is worth 3MM. If that is the price tag to provide the best chance of success at the most crucial moment count me in please.

fgssand said:
Is there any other kicker you would want on your team at that moment? If you say no then you must agree he is worth 3MM. If that is the price tag to provide the best chance of success at the most crucial moment count me in please.

I'm not sure that makes sense. So if Adam is the kicker I want over any other, do I also have to agree he is worth 10 MM a year or is it just 3? I didn't know wanting him was absolutely equal to wanting him at any price.

dhamz said:
I'm not sure that makes sense. So if Adam is the kicker I want over any other, do I also have to agree he is worth 10 MM a year or is it just 3? I didn't know wanting him was absolutely equal to wanting him at any price.

Not at any price, just the market price, which is not 10MM - it happens to be, from the looks of things last years salary & 20% = franchise tag = worst case.

My point all along has been the squabbling over 1MM or even as much as 1.5MM is relatively short money for the value AV brings.

fgssand said:
Not at any price, just the market price, which is not 10MM - it happens to be, from the looks of things last years salary & 20% = franchise tag = worst case.

My point all along has been the squabbling over 1MM or even as much as 1.5MM is relatively short money for the value AV brings.

I dont think the Pats are prepared to pay anyone top dollar to play for them. They would rather have a lot of Tier 2 players, than pay for a handful of Tier 1 players. Brady signed for second-best money, but Seymour and Vinatieri are holding out (and justifyably so) for their fair market value. Unfortunately, the Pats are unlikely to pay it.

Ty and Lawyer and Woody... all our Pro-bowlers end up elsewhere. They outplayed our salary structure and unless they were willing to take a Ted Johnson or Willie McGinest or Matt Light deal, they were not going to stick. We'll pay for the performance, but we wont ever be the top bidder. We'll even take damaged goods for a good price (Dillon, Harrison especially), and make that work.

We're more likely to sign a million Jarvis Greens and Christian Faurias before we ever ink a perennial pro-bowler to a big money deal.

FAs only stay with the Pats because they want to stay, not because it's their best offer. Troy stayed for less money. Willie stayed for less money. Hamilton left for (barely) more money. Big Ted Washington left for the money, and he was a player the braintrust was prepared to open their wallet a bit further for.

In the end, BB is stingy. Damn stingy. It's good and it's bad. It means the team will always be deep with talent and we'll be consistently competitive, but we'll never have a roster stacked with all-pros and we'll never be completely dominant. Other than the "core group" who identify at a deep emotional level with the Franchise (Troy, Willie, Brady) most of our best players will go elsewhere once their contracts are up.

It casts a shadow on the negotiations with Vinatieri, Givens, Neal... these guys will have to make a choice to stay. If they were prepared to make the sacrifice, they would already have signed a deal, well before this. I think if we get two of the three of them back for next year, it will be a coup. I think it's a 50-50 proposition that we lose all three.

Such are the realities of the salary cap. Good to great players walk all the time. Imagine how you'd feel as a Colts fan watching James walk, or a Seahawks fan as the team waves goodbye to Alexander.

My point to RookBoston is that is fans often lose perspective when analyzing their own teams. Because we tend to overrate our own player's talents, we simultaneously underrate our team's effort to keep them. Givens and Neal have proven only to be solid, dependable NFL players, nothing more. So if you're interested in having a dominant team with multiple Pro Bowlers why are you upset about losing these two? Of course, every winning team needs lots of solid mid-level guys but if you believe being dominant means having a bunch of studs then shouldn't the Pats be VERY careful about not overpaying the mid-level guys like Givens and Neal and save the cash for the stars?

Viniotieri is ALREADY the highest paid kicker in the league...by 6 or 7 hundred thousand I believe...Rackers is next at 1.8 mil per season

3 million is way too high...the Pats won't franchise Adam at this ridiculous figure...Adam should be agreaable to a contract at the current terms..if not and some moron wants to pay 3 mil plus a season then he's going to have to make a tough decision...stay in NE, his home, for 2.5 or move on for a few extra bucks.

Whatever, Adam is the most clutch kicker in Patriots history...let's not forget he kicks in NE for 8 games, Buffalo, the Meadowlands....put Rackers in there and see how HIS numbers plummet....Vinitieri has earned his salary. This will be a tough decision for the Pats but I highly doubt they franchise him

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes