PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Did the Offensive Line Do Last Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
How did it go? Were the QB's protected? Who looked good???

I missed the game, and finding an OL review online is pretty difficult!

Enough to win, I guess. Jimmy G didn't have his best night and I doubt they would of won without Tom Brady entering the game and getting them nine points unanswered and that electricity. Brady did get sacked however..

Also, Brisett started 8 for 8. That stud.

First string OL looked decent for the most part....Solder still getting beat by DE's blowing by him....keeping a RB back to help him in obvious passing downs would seem appropriate.....

I thought our first string was getting a good push vs their first team in the run game.

Very encouraging

First string OL looked decent for the most part....Solder still getting beat by DE's blowing by him....keeping a RB back to help him in obvious passing downs would seem appropriate.....

Or a TE to chip opposing DE's/OLB's. He hasn't looked good this preseason but I've chalked it up to him working his way back. Besides, he's always struggled with speed rushers. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

As for the OL? They actually didn't look bad. Dare I say Cannon actually looked passable last night?

Looks like Dante is working his magic again :)

That is what I'm thinking.....

Take Cannon. Obviously this board doesn't like him. Some of that is fair, whilst some of it is unfair when you consider he was like the walking dead with injuries last year.

Either way, we have the king of the offensive line as coach. If he thinks he is good enough to work with and is a talent, that is good enough for me to give him time to develop.

However, it is obvious he wasn't keen on Stork, due to him now living in Washington.

If the OL can give Jimmy time, we will be at least 2-2. if it gives Brady time, then good things will happen.

Welcome back Dante!

here are the two sacks that counted (one was called back because Ealy was offsides):

in the brady sack, johnson (#95) and ealy (#94) have a game on, and karras totally fails to pick up ealy crossing inside. definitely looks like a rookie on that play as he gets spun around:

on the garoppolo sack/fumble, there was a corner blitz. white and solder were blocking, so i think it was just garoppolo's fault for not recognizing the blitz and getting rid of the ball. pretty crappy tackle attempt by worley (#26, rookie), so garoppolo was lucky not to get sacked by him. bad ball security and awareness as he scrambles out to the left. i like how white and thuney lay out for the ball, though.

1. Right guard is a problem
  2. Solder gonna Solder
  3. Cannon plays a lot better when his feet aren't injured

1. Right guard is a problem
  2. Solder gonna Solder
  3. Cannon plays a lot better when his feet aren't injured

No one gives Cannon credit for playing injured and out of position last season, except the Coaches who appreciate the Grit.

Right Guard has the talent to eventually be very good.

The OL played well. I'd give it overall a solid B+

The off sides was only a hair by Ealy and personally I think Solder was lucky he was off sides cause i thought he would have got beat anyway. Also Karras was going to be beat on that play regardless but he is young and will hopefully not start at C. Better off as a guard.

The other sack was a blitz Jimmy needed to pick up.

Besides those 2 sacks the Panthers starters rarely got pressure within 3 seconds. Much of the time 4. Also I felt like we opened up enough in the run game to call it a win. The Panthers have a pretty good front 4. Not amazing but solid and overall I'd give an edge to the Pats OL.

I came away pretty happy.

I saw the reply on NFL network over the weekend, so it was the Carolina feed, it looked like the oline had a passable game, against a great front 7. Soldier by far has the worst night on the line. he is going to be a problem. I actually thought Cannon wasn't too awful, again I wouldn't call him good, but baby steps, definitely better than last year. (couldn't get worse). Seemed much better in the running game, looks like they may be a decent run blocking line, Brady can cover up some of the pass blocking deficiency, but right now it is not a SB oline, and in the playoffs will get exposed, like they were in Denver.

Now that line with Jimmy G behind it, means trouble right now. The run game could help, the D could help keeping the games close, but they better get better at pass blocking soon. Jimmy G. has not shot at being effective unless the pass blocking gets better. He needs an extra second or two to process what Brady can process instantly. The oline has to find a way to get him that extra sec or two.

Last night? I dunno. I suspect they were hanging out with their significant others at their probably pretty nice houses. Maybe studying the playbook if they're on the bubble.

and in the playoffs will get exposed, like they were in Denver.

If this OL was playing in the AFCC they win that game.

OL in that game was injury ravaged, had a RT playing LT and a C that was tipping the snap.

Some good OL news.

You would want one of these two to get the RG spot due to the high upside, higher than Kline....however, if they are injured, or they haven't got the game smarts to do the job, i am happy with Kline in a 'don't do anything stupid' role, which he can do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back