PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hey Hey we want Gay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you'll eventually see Meriweather at CB along with Hobbs.

Brandon actually started out as a CB at The U.

From what I have seen of him down at the OB, he can cover. Granted, that's college and this is the NFL, but instaincts are instincts and he can be coached up.

Also, don't forget Chad Scott coming back next season.

I don't think you will ever see Merriweather and Hobbs lined up at CB. He instincts look ok but he doesn't seem to have the foot speed of a typical CB. Merriweather was primarily a Safety (and a damn good one).

Chad Scott is a free agent next year and an old and coming off an injury.

It would be a solid move to lock up Randall Gay who just the start of this season visited the Jets since he was a restricted free agent.

I was just thinking about this the other day. As I recall, when the Jets hosted Gay for a visit the general reaction here was "if only they would give up a 2nd rounder for him, I'd be overjoyed!"

Now imagine this TC, with the Revis and Samuel situations, if Gay had been lining up as a starting CB for the Jets instead of the Pats. In fact, imagine our secondary without him right now, with Scott and Richardson on IR.

I really like Gay's game -- he looks smart out there. Yes, he's been injured. But a solid young vet CB is NOT easy to find (paging Duane Starks), and one who's already comfortable with our scheme and personnel is a nice bonus. Extending Gay would help stabilize a secondary that will probably lose at least half its starters in 2008.

Good thread!

My first reaction to this post was to be a real jerk and suggest

that the Jets would trade Hank Poteat to us after Asante Samuel

became partners with Revis and Gay became their their nickle back.

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out why it took the Pats a whole month to

capitulate to Asante if the reports are indeed true.

With regard to the poster who started this thread, I think it

might be to the Pats best interest to do something along the lines he

suggests. I think we should also keep the lines of communication open

to Asante's agents to try to agree on a long term contract. I don't

agree with the poster who thinks we can plug in a free agent and a #1 draft

choice to replace Asante and Gay. It takes too long to train people.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the poster who thinks we can plug in a free agent and a #1 draft choice to replace Asante and Gay. It takes too long to train people.
That would be me :)

Believe me, it's not my preferred choice - Hobbs, Samuel, Gay long term would be fantastic. My response was based on the post calling this situation "scary". We've got so many upcoming draft choices and our #1 picks usually play a lot the first year even if they don't start. Our front seven can hide weaknesses in the secondary and we'll have a top cover guy at FS in a second year Meriweather. My goal certainly isn't to have Hobbs and a draft pick starting at CB with a journeyman CB as the #3 guy - but I think we'd be alright if it worked out that way - it certainly wouldn't be scary to me.

I thought Ramones when I saw this title.

I may be watching too much "Bronx Is Burning" on ESPN.

(I know, I know, it's about the friggin Yankees, but it's a great show!)

A lot of IFs in those statements. If Gay can be extended then I would consider it, he isn't going to break the bank but he is not without his question marks. Calling him a 'Stud CB' seems a little strong and ignoring those 'injury concerns' is also foolish (High School injuries, College injuries, NFL injuries, seems like a pattern).

Personally I think he is an injury prone 3rd CB who is a little over rated. His claim to fame is playing in the Superbowl. He did ok in the game but TO still ended up with 120+ yards with a bum leg so I wouldn't exactly say he shut him down.

I see Merriweather as the FS of the future (maybe even this year), he may play some CB this year but only as a 4th or 5th option. The depth chart at CB for 08 is pretty poor, it would have been nice to draft a day 1 CB this year to help protect the team next year but we have 5 day 1 picks in 08 so we will see how it goes.

08 Players CB under contract
Hobbs
Eddie Jackson - or whoever the hell he is? coming off a major knee injury
Richardson on IR

FAs
Samuel
Scott
James
Randall Gay

First of all, Gay's claim to fame isn't playing in the SuperBowl, it was taking over as a starting CB midway into the season and playing well enough to keep starting all the way to the SuperBowl, which included that game against the high powered Colts offense that got held to only 3 point and their WRs shut down.
Second, his injuries in high school and college are minor injuries which every player goes through sometime. Also, if you call him "injury prone" then be fair and refer to Rodney, Seymour, Eugene, and others who have missed significant amount of playing time as such.
Gay is valuable to our team not only because he knows the system, but also because he can start at CB, play nickel, play FS, and special teams. There aren't too many of those guys available next year and like you said, we will be weak at that position if we don't resign those guys.
Also, I agree with you on Merriweather, he is best suited for FS. I never argued that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft