PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald's Buckley: Pats fans, leave Steve DeOssie alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't care about this. Let's face it. There are a lot of media people in this town who are not really fans of the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, or Bruins; but just play one on TV... or the radio. Some guys like Fred Toucher admit their allegence to another team, but most don't or at least down play it as much as possible.

Most guys on the radio are making up personalities. Felger pretends to be a contrarian. Ordway has his friend Dakota call in and say stupid things so Ordway can look like a hero. Andy Gresh is a Steelers fan, DA is a Giants fan, Felger is a Packers fan, etc. I don't have a problem with DeOssie pretending to be a Pats fan.

I am personally more upset about the spin and defense of DeOssie since the incident. DeOssie sugar coated what he did a bit. His friends in the media attack the fans (or a portion of them) to protect him.

A member of the media sticking up for another member of the media - surprise, surprise.

A member of the media looking down their noses and treating their customers with disdain - surprise, surprise.

A member of the media feels it is okay for them to say anything they want about fans, but it's not okay for fans to say anything they want about a member of the media - surprise, surprise.

I don't believe anybody has an issue with DeOssie being a Giants fan. DeOssie works on radio under the premise that he is a supporter of the local teams, and uses that fame to open up a restaurant. Now he's been exposed for all that being an act, and people in the area are just supposed to say 'that's okay, no problem; we'll still listen to you and spend our money at your place'. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

The biggest issue in all of this is not even DeOssie and his wanting to have it both ways; it is Buckley exposing his true feelings about the people who make it possible to make a living as a writer. If any of the rest of us said something similar about our customers we would already be out the door and having to look for a new job.

Brah-fekkin-voh!!!

And Buckley Quadruples down, I guess we can add Buckley and the Herald to the hit list

Pats fans, leave Steve DeOssie alone - BostonHerald.com

"This is for youse knuckle-dragging, nose-picking, mismatched-socks-wearin’,couldn’t-win-a-battle-of-wits-with-a-Pepsi-machine Patriots [team stats] fans who are spitting up your Doritos over Steve DeOssie’s over-the-top passion for the New York Giants: You’ve

become the laughingstock of sporting America."......Steve Buckly
what a arrogant sob Buckley is. deossie must really be feeling the heat if Buckley is writing a column about it. again another media idiot misses the entire point. nobody cares hes a giant fan or picks the giants. i will do my part to leave him alone by not watching or listening to anything hes on.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't care about this. Let's face it. There are a lot of media people in this town who are not really fans of the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, or Bruins; but just play one on TV... or the radio. Some guys like Fred Toucher admit their allegence to another team, but most don't or at least down play it as much as possible.

Most guys on the radio are making up personalities. Felger pretends to be a contrarian. Ordway has his friend Dakota call in and say stupid things so Ordway can look like a hero. Andy Gresh is a Steelers fan, DA is a Giants fan, Felger is a Packers fan, etc. I don't have a problem with DeOssie pretending to be a Pats fan.

I am personally more upset about the spin and defense of DeOssie since the incident. DeOssie sugar coated what he did a bit. His friends in the media attack the fans (or a portion of them) to protect him.

I can understand your view on this but honestly I am tired of what passes for analysis on these talk shows. These people are just awful and if this is being used to get rid of one of these lunkheads, so be it. Boston media needs to improve. Massarotti and Buckley are two of the biggest lunks out there, senile Bob Ryan is another, and Shaughnessy has always been awful. I pretty much just read Bedard at this point. I still like Holley even though he sometimes gets carried with the lamebrain wave of idiocy.

Let's face it. There are a lot of media people in this town who are not really fans of the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, or Bruins; but just play one on TV... or the radio. Some guys like Fred Toucher admit their allegence to another team, but most don't or at least down play it as much as possible.

Let's face it, most of those other guys arent stupid enough to openly go and take part in a rally for the rival team they claim to have allegience to.

Not only is DeOssie a two-faced jackhole, he went about it in the stupidest way possible. Suppose Patriot fans were to just overlook that and pretend nothing happened, what does that say about us?

I will boycott ANYTHING DeOssie is affiliated with.

He can take Mr. Baseball with him

He either drew the short straw or he's angling for the Mazzerotti angry man award and a shot at co-hosting some radio or comcast show of his own instead of merely appearing on them. And they always use the baseball guy so he can hit and run and then hide behind his Sox until the dust settles and some programming exec decides they can parlay the elevated profile into a ratings boost somewhere.

They always get ugly and point the finger back at us when they screw up. Because they have no legitimate way to defend the Tomasse and Borges and DeOssie level screw ups.

Wasn't this issue starting to die after Tuesday afternoon when DeOssie appeared on EEI, gave his explanation and had it validated by Ordway. It became clear that it was going to be business as usual going forward.

So why is Buckley giving this story new life 2 days later? And why go to such lengths for Steve DeOssie? It's not like it's Gammons or Shaughnessy or even Borges.

I can understand your view on this but honestly I am tired of what passes for analysis on these talk shows. These people are just awful and if this is being used to get rid of one of these lunkheads, so be it. Boston media needs to improve. Massarotti and Buckley are two of the biggest lunks out there, senile Bob Ryan is another, and Shaughnessy has always been awful. I pretty much just read Bedard at this point. I still like Holley even though he sometimes gets carried with the lamebrain wave of idiocy.

That's a different issue. I agree that local talk radio is pathetic in this region. Very few guys can actually talk real football which is why they spend weeks on peripherial issues (Giselle, players trash talking in the media, Ochocinco's dedication to football, Sandusky, etc.) that passes as football talk.

The sad thing is when DeOssie actually wants to talk football and leaves the grab arse stuff at home (which is rare these days). Now he is probably persona non grata.

Suppose Patriot fans were to just overlook that and pretend nothing happened, what does that say about us?

exactly. its like they think we should just take whatever slop they dish out. you have to be a sucker to watch or listen to deossie at this point. no more 5th quarter for me. no more patriots game day either. no more nothing when the red faced slob is involved. idc we deserve better programming and the only way to get it is not to watch or listen until we do.

Let's face it, most of those other guys arent stupid enough to openly go and take part in a rally for the rival team they claim to have allegience to.

Not only is DeOssie a two-faced jackhole, he went about it in the stupidest way possible. Suppose Patriot fans were to just overlook that and pretend nothing happened, what does that say about us?

Most of those other guys also didn't play for the team they are a fan of and win a Super Bowl with them. I always knew that DeOssie was a Giants fan masquerading as a Pats fan. So I guess I am not offended by this as much as others.

You guys want Deossie gone?

Just keep calling the show giving him crap. Companies cave and get rid of people.

I personally dont care for what he said, i like Deossie but can see why people are mad.

Just keep calling the show giving him crap. Companies cave and get rid of people.

I personally dont care for what he said, i like Deossie but can see why people are mad.

I'm guessing you work for the radio station or you are DeOssie's agent.

"Keep calling the show......" Yeah, right. You must believe people here are what Buckley described them as.

Next you'll write, "Go to Pawngo and buy more stuff!".

Call the station, not the show.

Guess what? DeOssie WANTS more people calling the show and hanging on his every word. This is why I didn't click the link for Buckley's column - - I read all I needed from the clip put in this thread. There is a little concept called commerce. It drives the market.

Last edited:

Good idea, what would be even better is to call the sponsors, if the station is losing them they'll act even quicker, it's the best way to hit them in the pocket.

Contact Us

Important information:

WEEI address:
20 Guest Street, Third Floor
Brighton, MA 02135-2040

Main Office Number: (617) 779-3500
Talk Line: (617) 779-0850 or (888) 525-0850
On-air Studio Fax Number: (617) 779-3557
Contest Line: (617) 931-1850
Whiner Line on the Big Show: (617)779-3535
Text number: 850850

Most of those other guys also didn't play for the team they are a fan of and win a Super Bowl with them. I always knew that DeOssie was a Giants fan masquerading as a Pats fan. So I guess I am not offended by this as much as others.
you miss the point. nobody cares hes a giant fan. nobody cares he picked the giants. its the over all tone and the total lack of respect he showed for the patriots his employers and patriots fans. he said he didn't care who saw the video. what does that tell you? that's a demonstration of a total lack of respect.

Ron Borges made a living off of that. You make DeOssie the villian and everyone calls him to give him crap, he will likely get more air time.

Not that I care since I don't listen to the Big Show or WEEI much anyway, but you need to call the station off air and give them crap.

you miss the point. nobody cares hes a giant fan. nobody cares he picked the giants. its the over all tone and the total lack of respect he showed for the patriots his employers and patriots fans. he said he didn't care who saw the video. what does that tell you? that's a demonstration of a total lack of respect.

What he said wasn't that bad. He was at a rally. I can see why people are upset about it and he probably was a little more arrogant that he should have been even at a Giants' rally, but I still think it is muchado about nothing. But that is just my opinion and I tend to be less affected by knowing that on air personalities are fake and that they pander to their audience even when their own feelings are diametrically opposed to what they are saying.

Last edited:
What this Steve Buckley person (I don't live up there) doesn't comprehend is that many of us are Doctors, Lawyers, CFO's, CEO's, Professors etc. who would not be overjoyed if a newspaper sportswriter moved into the neighborhood.

Before he puts himself up on a pedestal and looks down at the "masses", he should probably take a good look at the coffee stained wretch in the mirror.

To paraphrase a VERY INCORRECT saying about teachers "Those who can't do become sports writers".
Buckly and the rest are oblivious to your point because he/they don't normally hear from DR's, Lawyers, CEO, CFO's Engineers. Most of the callers they hear from are over the top yahoo's that frankly don't sound very educated or bright. I know, the few times ive tuned in i couln't listen for more than a couple of minutes, most of the callers are worse than the hosts. But thats no excuse, they have to know that a good deal of the fans don't have the time, the inclination or the desire to call. How many CEO's or DR's are going to call the Big Show?

Last edited:
What he said wasn't that bad. He was at a rally. I can see why people are upset about it and he probably was a little more arrogant that he should have been even at a Giants' rally, but I still think it is muchado about nothing. But that is just my opinion and I tend to be less affected by knowing that on air personalities are fake and that they pander to their audience even when their own feelings are diametrically opposed to what they are saying.

The part you keep missing the point on is he only got a shot at a job here because of his connections to this HC twice and this team (he played for NE finishing his career here over two seasons including playing for Bill) and this region (he grew up in Boston in the projects and went to Don Bosco High and BC where the Cowboys drafted him). NY and the Giants or the Mara's didn't give him a leg up in a post career career when believe me he needed it. Boston did. Lobel and WBZ did, WEEI did, Fred's stchick did, his relationship with Bill did. We don't care if in his heart of hearts the Giants are his team (and I think he resented it when Bill didn't draft a long snapper/LB named DeOssie a couple of years back). What we care about is his claiming to struggle with living and working here because of it. Or something... He wouldn't be missed because he doesn't bring much to the table past his association to this HC so he should just follow his heart.

First, re Buckley, wouldn't it be a shame if folks decided to not drag their knuckles to the Old Time Baseball Game this year ... his hype for that should be getting started any minute now ...

Second, re DeOssie, not that this matters very much, but another element to his utter phoniness pertains to his "grew up in the projects" (specifically, the Fidelis Way project in Brighton) shtick. Those who know will tell you (as they've told me) it's "not quite true," unless moving from Brighton to West Roxbury before elementary school still qualifies as growing up in Brighton ... I bring this up simply to underscore the point is that DeOssie has always been a baloney salesman, this incident with the Giants pep rally is just another reason to not lend any credence to his analysis and opinions, no matter how well (or not) he articulates them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News