PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hats off to the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a cruel and unfair finish to what should have been a glorious and historic season. Instead it is historic for its infamy. This is what we must live with, for we have no other choice. Trust me, there is nothing more I would like than to mail Belichick and staff a video tape of SB 42 to February 2nd, 2008, in a manila envelope with "DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN" scribbled on it. So instead we must end that chapter and turn the page. If you must look back, then look back further.

This is what I kept thinking about last week! It somehow helped me, thinking about going back in time and getting Bill Belichick's number and telling him all the plays to do, the dont's. My family would think it was weird, but we'd win...the first think I'd say, however, would be: take off the F***ing red hoody!!!

Good post. As a Bills fan, I am an expert in unbelievable heartbreak, and I know that pain all too well.

But you should have left this line out... a bit ironic, don't you think?
"Trust me, there is nothing more I would like than to mail Belichick and staff a video tape of SB 42 to February 2nd, 2008, in a manila envelope with "DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN" scribbled on it."

Good post. As a Bills fan, I am an expert in unbelievable heartbreak, and I know that pain all too well.

But you should have left this line out... a bit ironic, don't you think?
"Trust me, there is nothing more I would like than to mail Belichick and staff a video tape of SB 42 to February 2nd, 2008, in a manila envelope with "DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN" scribbled on it."

Nah. I wasn't thinking about SpyGate (another media creation, BTW) when I wrote that. It's what I truly felt, and still do. But I understand that history is history and all you can is try to look forward.

Nah. I wasn't thinking about SpyGate (another media creation, BTW) when I wrote that. It's what I truly felt, and still do. But I understand that history is history and all you can is try to look forward.

Fair enough (except for the media creation part, lol)

Last edited:
Perspective bump, since admittingly I could use some myself.

It just goes to show how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. Consider the following:

- The Colts, with an all-time great QB, have won 10+ games each of the past 6 years (5 of them with 12+ wins), compiling a 73-23 (.760) record. In those 6 years, they've won *1* Super Bowl.

- The Steelers, since 2001, have had 5 seasons of 10+ wins, compiling a 73-38-1 (.658) record. In those 7 years, they've won *1* Super Bowl.

- The Eagles, since 2000, have had 6 seasons of 10+ wins, compiling an 83-45 (.648) record. In those 8 years, they've won *0* Super Bowls.

- The Chargers, in the past 4 years, have won 11+ games 3 times, compiling a 46-18 (.719) record. In those 4 years, they've won *0* AFC titles and *0* Super Bowls.

- The Seahawks, since 2003, have won 10+ games 3 times and have not had a single losing record over that span. They've compiled a 51-29 (.638) record. In those 5 years, they've won one conference championship and *0* Super Bowls.

You get the idea that it's really, really, really hard to win the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, the Patriots, since 2001, have won 10+ games 6 times, never had a losing record, won 12+ games 4 times, compiling an 86-26 (.769) record. In that time they've won *4* conference championships and *3* Super Bowls.

Hats off to the Patriots, indeed.

It just goes to show how hard it is to win a Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, the Patriots, since 2001, have won 10+ games 6 times, never had a losing record, won 12+ games 4 times, compiling an 86-26 (.769) record. In that time they've won *4* conference championships and *3* Super Bowls.

Let's face it, we are like a bunch of spoiled brats. The Pats may *never* win another SB. We gotta learn to enjoy the ride more and focus less on the destination.

That statement rings true but it gives me mixed emotions as a Pats fan - the Colts and Giants needed Herculean efforts to topple the Pats and they delivered. The Pats needed to make manageable plays in order to win those games (after uneven performances) and couldn't.

Let's face it, we are like a bunch of spoiled brats. The Pats may *never* win another SB. We gotta learn to enjoy the ride more and focus less on the destination.

If they never win another one in my lifetime, fine so be it.......but could they just lose a playoff game without it being so historic? Our losses are suddenly upstaging our wins.

That statement rings true but it gives me mixed emotions as a Pats fan - the Colts and Giants needed Herculean efforts to topple the Pats and they delivered. The Pats needed to make manageable plays in order to win those games (after uneven performances) and couldn't.

Right, I hear that. It could pretty easily (relatively speaking, I guess) be the Pats with six AFC titles and five Lombardis in the last 7 years. They were thisclose to that.

<sigh>

It just goes to show how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. Consider the following:

- The Colts, with an all-time great QB, have won 10+ games each of the past 6 years (5 of them with 12+ wins), compiling a 73-23 (.760) record. In those 6 years, they've won *1* Super Bowl.

- The Steelers, since 2001, have had 5 seasons of 10+ wins, compiling a 73-38-1 (.658) record. In those 7 years, they've won *1* Super Bowl.

- The Eagles, since 2000, have had 6 seasons of 10+ wins, compiling an 83-45 (.648) record. In those 8 years, they've won *0* Super Bowls.

- The Chargers, in the past 4 years, have won 11+ games 3 times, compiling a 46-18 (.719) record. In those 4 years, they've won *0* AFC titles and *0* Super Bowls.

- The Seahawks, since 2003, have won 10+ games 3 times and have not had a single losing record over that span. They've compiled a 51-29 (.638) record. In those 5 years, they've won one conference championship and *0* Super Bowls.

Nice post...I have been trying to console myself with the pats success in the past going back to even 96 and saying these are the best years but to see it put next to the other great teams of this decade and realize all any of them could muster was one does remind you how hard it is and make you respect the fact that we even got to our fourth in 7 years.

And to take your numbers and go all the way back to 1990 and you can add in great teams like the Packers (1 title) Broncos (two) Dallas (three But never made the fourth), Bills (made four but no wins), 49ers (only one in the 90s).

It is not easy to win in the NFL Playoffs. Look at all those great teams and the struggles they went thru to get theirs.

Right, I hear that. It could pretty easily (relatively speaking, I guess) be the Pats with six AFC titles and five Lombardis in the last 7 years. They were thisclose to that.

<sigh>

To make it worse, the "champs" of the last 2 years (Steelers, Colts) couldn't even win a playoff game the following year and the Giants aren't looking any better.

To make it worse, the "champs" of the last 2 years (Steelers, Colts) couldn't even win a playoff game the following year and the Giants aren't looking any better.

Yep. I'm thinking the Pats have a 12-4 or 13-3 season next year, get a 1st round bye, and make some noise in the playoffs again. After this year, you just can't feel comfortable predicting with confidence that they'll win the Super Bowl, but this team still has (barring catastrophic injury to #12) a very good chance of playing at an elite level for several more years. Thus, they have as good a chance as anyone of playing for the Lombardi for the next few years.

Nice post...I have been trying to console myself with the pats success in the past going back to even 96 and saying these are the best years but to see it put next to the other great teams of this decade and realize all any of them could muster was one does remind you how hard it is and make you respect the fact that we even got to our fourth in 7 years.

And to take your numbers and go all the way back to 1990 and you can add in great teams like the Packers (1 title) Broncos (two) Dallas (three But never made the fourth), Bills (made four but no wins), 49ers (only one in the 90s).

It is not easy to win in the NFL Playoffs. Look at all those great teams and the struggles they went thru to get theirs.

Indeed. Even the great Dolphins of the 70's, who we're *so* sick of hearing about, had a 6-year run whereby they compiled a record of 67-16-1 (.807), won three conference championships and two Super Bowls. As great as those Dolphin teams were, the Pats' current run is better than that.

Yep. I'm thinking the Pats have a 12-4 or 13-3 season next year, get a 1st round bye, and make some noise in the playoffs again. After this year, you just can't feel comfortable predicting with confidence that they'll win the Super Bowl, but this team still has (barring catastrophic injury to #12) a very good chance of playing at an elite level for several more years. Thus, they have as good a chance as anyone of playing for the Lombardi for the next few years.

This team needs the fire back. The "overcoming all odds" fire - pretty much what the last 3 champs had.

Indeed. Even the great Dolphins of the 70's, who we're *so* sick of hearing about, had a 6-year run whereby they compiled a record of 67-16-1 (.807), won three conference championships and two Super Bowls. As great as those Dolphin teams were, the Pats' current run is better than that.

indeed we are better than those dolphins that we are sick of hearing about. Now go shove that in Mercury's face.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back