PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harvey Langi interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very mature young man. Clearly the mission he went on changed him significantly. He's becoming binky #2 for me.. And there is clearly a spot at LB for him to win..

He's got a lot of special teams experience including 2 returns.. I joked in the UDFA thread saying that he was back returning kicks for the Pats.. But he's got hands and ability to do that sort of thing. I could easily see him replacing someone like Bolden on Special teams.. He's got that willingness and the athletic ability to do it.

Very mature young man. Clearly the mission he went on changed him significantly. He's becoming binky #2 for me.. And there is clearly a spot at LB for him to win..

He's got a lot of special teams experience including 2 returns.. I joked in the UDFA thread saying that he was back returning kicks for the Pats.. But he's got hands and ability to do that sort of thing. I could easily see him replacing someone like Bolden on Special teams.. He's got that willingness and the athletic ability to do it.

Agreed. From the highlights I've seen, he seems like a versatile player. I'm not sure of the angles he takes when tackling. Seems like he could work on that.

Agreed. From the highlights I've seen, he seems like a versatile player. I'm not sure of the angles he takes when tackling. Seems like he could work on that.

One of the issues is that BYU played him at OLB this past year and he wasn't as successful as when he'd been at ILB/MLB.. My guess is that the Pats project him inside.

$115,000 guaranteed money for a udfa. Bye bye freeney.
Umm freeny has 1.1 mill guaranteed remaining or 10 times as much

They would actually save $600k if they sacked him.

Point being is Langi is cheaper.

Of course because he is a veteran thru gave a decent ****ract too.
But 100k of guarantee is not something that enters into the decision at cutdown.

But 100k of guarantee is not something that enters into the decision at cutdown.
I think when comparing the two salaries and value on the field they each represent, the discrepancy in the salary and cap space does enter the discussion. I don't think the $100k signing bonus guarantees Langli a roster spot at all.

I think when comparing the two salaries and value on the field they each represent, the discrepancy in the salary and cap space does enter the discussion. I don't think the $100k signing bonus guarantees Langli a roster spot at all.
The 100k is meaningless. The post I responded to called it proof freeny would now not make the team.

The 100k is meaningless. The post I responded to called it proof freeny would now not make the team.

Yea I don't get that one either.

Giving a 115K guarantee to and UDFA, though, indicates that very likely the player was in high demand, drawing interest from several other teams.

Due to this high level of interest, he would seem less likely to go unclaimed, if cut, and so getting him on the practice squad will be tough.

It in no way locks the guy in for a roster spot, and I am not saying that,

but I am saying that having other teams (apparently) interested in him moves the Patriots decision to keeping him or losing him, when for most UDFAs getting them to pass waivers and re-signed to the practice squad has a high probability of success, and so the decision come down to keeping in on the roster or likely getting him on the practice squad. Of course, any waived player CAN be claimed and can be lost. I am just assessing likelihood of outcomes.

If I had two UDFAs on the bubble and one spot to fill, with them having equal value for now, and I felt that one would surely be lost if waived and the other would not, it could play some factor in my decision.

Giving a 115K guarantee to and UDFA, though, indicates that very likely the player was in high demand, drawing interest from several other teams.

Due to this high level of interest, he would seem less likely to go unclaimed, if cut, and so getting him on the practice squad will be tough.

It in no way locks the guy in for a roster spot, and I am not saying that,

but I am saying that having other teams (apparently) interested in him moves the Patriots decision to keeping him or losing him, when for most UDFAs getting them to pass waivers and re-signed to the practice squad has a high probability of success, and so the decision come down to keeping in on the roster or likely getting him on the practice squad. Of course, any waived player CAN be claimed and can be lost. I am just assessing likelihood of outcomes.

If I had two UDFAs on the bubble and one spot to fill, with them having equal value for now, and I felt that one would surely be lost if waived and the other would not, it could play some factor in my decision.
Perhaps but:
1) competition for udfa by teams who didn't value him high enough to draft him is not really substantial value, enough to cut a player who otherwise made your team
2) I don't believe it is common to keep a guy you wouldn't normally keep out of fear he cannot get to the practice squad. By definition you'd be cutting and risking losing a player you would rather have.

$115,000 guaranteed money for a udfa. Bye bye freeney.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

Freeny supposedly showed to Belichick the ability to make the alignment calls back in 2015. Belichick was very impressed by Freeny. When you Consider that they only have Hightower, Van Noy, McClellin, and Roberts, there is plenty of room for Freeny and another LB.. Particularly if that LB replaces Bolden. Also, It's not like Geneo Grissom has shown much in his playing time..

Van Noy wore the green dot and set the defense late last season when DH missed a couple of games. Just because Freeny was the next best option in 2015 to captain the D doesn't mean that's still the case.

McClellin, Van Noy and Roberts along with Hightower were the linebackers on the best defense in the NFL last season. So, perhaps, the coaches at least think it's a pretty good group.

Covering is the weakest aspect of the group's game so Longhi is an attempt to improve that aspect of the defense. We'll see, but he has the measurables and his past experience as a RB might give him an unique perspective which will help him.

The relevance of the guaranteed portion of the salary from the Patriots point of view is the $100,000 increases the chances of him passing through waivers to join the Pats practice squad if the numbers don't work to keep him on the active roster.

Any team that claims him had better be prepared to keep him on their 53 man roster for the season because they assume the guarantee. if they cut him, Longhi would most likely join the Pats PS and leave the claiming team paying the guarantee.

If we release him and someone else claims him, I assume the guarantee goes to the new team ? If so this could be a mechanism to discourage a claim to get him to our P.S. if we cut him. Not that $100K is a lot but a team that didn't draft him may not want to assume a $100K guarantee for a bottom of the roster guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back