PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy New Year Roger Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing very well in life, actually. Good job, good family, very happy person. The NFL changed the schedule in week 17 to the patriots detriment. This is a fact. That's all we're saying. No one is even blaming the playoff miss on this set of events. All we're saying is that the NFL did not do right by the patriots.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Why must it be all or nothing?

Can't agree more. The NFL had 16 prior game-filled weeks of 1pm and 4pm games with at least 12 games each week to tweak the times and their ratings; They had over four (4) months of weekly prime-time games consisting of Monday Night Football-Thursday Night Football-Saturday night football and Sunday night Football to rack up ratings points for their advertisers, not to speak of the lucrative Playoffs through the Super Bowl. In all, a six (6) month span of time with prime games to elevate ratings. However, in all of the games in all of the prior 16 weeks, and all of the games after the week 17 games (playoffs),the tweaking of the times have zero (0%) impact as to a team's playoff chances. ONLY A WEEK 17 CHANGE OF TIME SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTS A TEAM'S PLAYOFF PROSPECTS.

Last edited:
I have to say, I really don't care that they do it for money or ratings. I'm a fan first. I watch for the competition. The NFL lectured us about the competition for a year when it comes to stealing defensive signals from tapes, or when it comes to messing with the injury report. If the NFL is so concerned about the game's competitive integrity when it comes to stealing signals and injuries, then I don't want to hear from them when they move games and fail to maximize competitive integrity. It should go both ways. They shouldn't be hypocrites about it.
Good post. To the NFL and Roger Goodell, integrity goes out the window when they can pocket more money. Also, lightening Wes Welker's wallet by $10K for a snow angel was pretty ******* weak.

If we're being completely honest, I don't think the Jets tanked the game. They are just not very good, especially with Brett "Uh oh, I threw another INT...I had better hold my arm and grimace" Favre sucking it up and a pass rush that can at best be described as lackluster.

Sometimes we get a ton of breaks, like last year. This season we didn't get any...it sucks but that's that.

If we're being completely honest, I don't think the Jets tanked the game. They are just not very good, especially with Brett "Uh oh, I threw another INT...I had better hold my arm and grimace" Favre sucking it up and a pass rush that can at best be described as lackluster.

Sometimes we get a ton of breaks, like last year. This season we didn't get any...it sucks but that's that.

Ummm... not surprisingly, Favre's arm issue was real. An MRI apparently revealed a tear.

Was watching the Jets game with hubby. Late in the third quarter they showed several Jets players sitting on the bench looking up into the stands. We were wondering why?.... They just kept looking up there and they didn't look happy. At the time, we thought they were just upset they were getting booed or something.

Then the next day, we're listening to FAN and Francesca says that with 7 minutes left in the third quarter, there was a mass exodus. At that point the players knew it was over.

F. Roger Goodell. There is a question of impropriety and it didn't have to be that way. Stop spewing crap about integrity if you're not going to practice what you preach.

Why is this topic still going on?

We knew we could not afford 5 conference losses and 2 losses within the division because of the risk of getting frozen out.

The losses to the Jets, Colts, and Steelers put this team in this predicament a month ago and the imbalance of strength between divisions potentially set up this rare situation that 11 and 5 would not be good enough for one team to get into the playoffs.

Ummm... not surprisingly, Favre's arm issue was real. An MRI apparently revealed a tear.

Yes, I read that, too. Still, he wasn't holding his arm after Coles TD.

Anyone who's ever played injured knows that's how it works. When you're celebrating, you forget the injury. When you're down in the dumps, the pain steps front and center. It's both physiological and psychological in nature.

Why is this topic still going on?

We knew we could not afford 5 conference losses and 2 losses within the division because of the risk of getting frozen out.

The losses to the Jets, Colts, and Steelers put this team in this predicament a month ago and the imbalance of strength between divisions potentially set up this rare situation that 11 and 5 would not be good enough for one team to get into the playoffs.

We knew?

How in the world did we know?

At the point we played the Jets, for instance, we didn't know anything. Heck, a win against the Jets there might still have frozen us out of the playoffs with a 12-4 record. You try to win every game. Obviously going 16-0 is hard to do. Unless you go 14-2, you do not assure yourself of a playoff spot over a 3-13 team.

The point is, the Jets players said they noticed that Baltimore had the game in hand in the first half.

On the most important 2008 regular season week, he chose, alleging TV ratings for the 1pm & 4pm non-prime time slots, as the reason to only have the Jets sit back and wait for the outcome of the Ravens and Patriots 1 pm games.

did the ravens play at 4pm?

Anyone who's ever played injured knows that's how it works. When you're celebrating, you forget the injury. When you're down in the dumps, the pain steps front and center. It's both physiological and psychological in nature.

Well, I have never claimed to play, injured or otherwise. And, I really don't like the guy, so that is adding to my opinion.

Anyways, my original point was I think the Jets played their best, which unfortunatley is not very good. They are miles from the team that beat us in November. They would have lost that game at 1 or 4PM.

We knew?

How in the world did we know?

At the point we played the Jets, for instance, we didn't know anything. Heck, a win against the Jets there might still have frozen us out of the playoffs with a 12-4 record. You try to win every game. Obviously going 16-0 is hard to do. Unless you go 14-2, you do not assure yourself of a playoff spot over a 3-13 team.

The point is, the Jets players said they noticed that Baltimore had the game in hand in the first half.

Losing to the Jests in week 11 put us at 6-4 while they went to 7-3 with a one game lead. Had we won that game we would have controlled our destiny to a two seed. The knockout game turned out to be Pittsburgh two weeks later when we dropped to 7 and 5 and 5 and 5 conference record. Miami took advantage of our misfortune by winning all their games since their whipping administered by the Patriots in the Dolphin Stadium.

Losing to the Jests in week 11 put us at 6-4 while they went to 7-3 with a one game lead. Had we won that game we would have controlled our destiny to a two seed. The knockout game turned out to be Pittsburgh two weeks later when we dropped to 7 and 5 and 5 and 5 conference record. Miami took advantage of our misfortune by winning all their games since their whipping administered by the Patriots in the Dolphin Stadium.

In hindsight, you can say that. But a Ravens win over the Steelers would have made this moot as well. We can play the IF game and say IF the Phins prevented Matt Schaub from scoring a TD with 3 seconds left, they would have frozen us out as well.

But as I said, it has nothing to do with the NFL's decision not to maximize the competitive integrity of the game.

Sour grapes thread.

At the end of the day, what hurt us was our wins versus playoff teams. Of our eleven, we had two. Our record vs playoff teams was 2-4(ARZ hardly being a playoff caliber team). The 3-3 in that column would have gotten us in. We were really without a signature win this season, something that this team has always shown in the past. Hardest pill to swallow was easily that Indy game, but the game that told me we weren't quite ready was the Pittsburgh game. One of the few ways I can reason myself out of my playoff depression.

Our wins
Miami
Arizona

Seattle
San Fran
Oakland
Denver
Buffalo twice
KC
StL
NYJ

Our losses
SD(whom I still consider a very good team)
Indy
Pittsburgh
Miami
NYJ

Again, this isn't a thread about whether our record was good enough versus San Diego's. If we were having that discussion here, someone could point out that San Deigo went 0-5 against playoff teams.

The main point is that the NFL did not preserve the integrity of the game.

We'll never know for certain I guess. To me it looked like the Jets were trying in that 2nd half and the scheduling didn't play a role, they did after all take the lead at one point. I remember Kerry Rhodes making a 3rd down stop and showed emotion, I know at least he was giving it his all. We will never know though, what if instead of just seeing the Ravens up 24-7 at halftime, if they would have also seen the Patriots up by just a FG in conditions that took away the major strength of our team. So yes the absolute fairest thing in the name of competition would have been to have all 3 games at 4, but the maximizing of ratings took precedence and that is pretty unfortunate.

The TEAM may have been trying......but Favre was TOO BUSY THROWING the ball to the other team!!!!!........Seriously, those throws directly to the defense were and ARE mind numbing!

yep. It is all about the money. But where is the best product? I hope ol' roger gets a case of uncontrolable dysentary for the whole year along with a severe end case erectile dysfunction with no cure. :p

ha ha ha!!!!

One more thing. Damien Woody was quoted as saying that all the Jets saw the scoreboard at Giants Stadium when it read Jaguars 7 and Jets 3. Woody said that they never showed the scor again, and the Jets knew in the first half that this meant the Ravens had the game well in hand.

These are Woody's words.

To be fair, I do think the Jets offense played hard, but the defense allowed Miami to run through them like swiss cheese. The defenders deflated, they were disappointed. I think this is natural when you realize your playoff hopes are done.

This is the CORRECT answer......they realized that their goose was cooked and they laid down.........Favre did the REST by himself by throwing the ball DIRECTLY to the doofins.....unreal.....

Well then that out of work D-bag Man-GINA shouldn't have had him in there should he?? No wonder that fat tub of dog crap got fired!!!!! Man-GINA must have done this (allowing Favre with a banged up arm to throw meatballs out there)as one more F.U. to Belichick.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST