PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy and Nervous Patriots after the draft

DocE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Happy Patriots

1. Laurence Maroney/BenJarvus Green-Ellis- I wasn't too worried about the Pats taking an RB early, but that probably would have been bad news for Laurence. Not taking a back at all significantly boosts Law Firms chances of making the team.

2. Jarvis Green- He's scheduled to make a lot of cash this year and he has to be breathing a sigh of relief that the Patriots didn't draft a DL with a skill set similar to his.

3. Pierre Woods/Shawn Crable/Vince ReddTully Banta-Cain- The Patriots not taking an OLB allows them to compete for a starting position and/or increases there shot to make the roster. This would be no.1 on my list if I was convinced that there wasn't going to be a veteran addition here.

4. Dave Thomas- Thomas is going in to the final year of his contract and there was a handful of intriguing TE prospects who, like Thomas, are more known for their receiving skill. The Patriots passed on the position entirely which was good news Thomas.

5. Mike Richardson/Antwain Spann- These two had to be sweating bullets after the Patriots took 2 DB's in round 2. That brought the roster locks at the position to 9. Not only did the Patriots not take a DB on day 2, but they traded away one of those locks. It's still an uphill battle to the 53 for both of these guys, but the weekend went about as well as they could have hoped.

6. Matt Gutierrez- Probably reaching here, but there was talk of Pat White possibly being a 3rd QB or drafting Stephen McGee. I think he's happy his biggest competition for the 3rd QB spot will be UDFA Brian Hoyer.

Nervous Patriots

1. Nathan Hodel- If there were any kids in his house, they probably needed to put on their "earmuffs" when the Patriots 6th round selection of Jake Ingram was announced. Only the very best long snappers get drafted and teams rarely have a training camp battle at the position because camp bodies at more contact positions are needed and an emergency snapper needs to be developed.

2. LeKevin Smith- The selection of Ron Brace, makes LeKevin the teams 7th DL, which is not an enviable place to be on a team that may only keep 6. Even if the Pats keep 7, LeKevin will have to battle late round picks Pryor and Richard. I have a feeling LeKevin finds a way to make the team, but he certainly has his work cut out for him.

3. Wesley Britt/Ryan O'Callaghan- Vollmer will make the team and his selection makes it tough for either of these RT prospect to make the team. LeVoir certainly has a leg up on both of them because he has shown he can play LT.

4. Billy Yates/Russ Hochstein/Al Johnson- Rich Ohrnberger should make the team as an interior lineman and George Bussey probably will be tried at guard. It's possible neither draft pick makes the team, but the competition for the backup jobs inside got more intense.

Happy Patriots

3. Pierre Woods/Shawn Crable/Vince ReddTully Banta-Cain- The Patriots not taking an OLB allows them to compete for a starting position and/or increases there shot to make the roster. This would be no.1 on my list if I was convinced that there wasn't going to be a veteran addition here.

Nervous Patriots

2. LeKevin Smith- The selection of Ron Brace, makes LeKevin the teams 7th DL, which is not an enviable place to be on a team that may only keep 6. Even if the Pats keep 7, LeKevin will have to battle late round picks Pryor and Richard. I have a feeling LeKevin finds a way to make the team, but he certainly has his work cut out for him.

4. Billy Yates/Russ Hochstein/Al Johnson- Rich Ohrnberger should make the team as an interior lineman and George Bussey probably will be tried at guard. It's possible neither draft pick makes the team, but the competition for the backup jobs inside got more intense.
Interesting take.

Add Angelo Craig to Happy #3, he, Redd, and Crable are the Practice Squad eligible kids on that list, they at least have the chance to stick that way. I hope there is no veteran signing and the kids get the extra reps.

Nervous #2 isn't so much, LeKevin's been playing well and his Special Teams play helps him where the others aren't as good in space.

I'm looking forward to a battle royal for the reserve interior OL slots.

Happy Patriots

Dave Thomas- Thomas is going in to the final year of his contract and there was a handful of intriguing TE prospects who, like Thomas, are more known for their receiving skill. The Patriots passed on the position entirely which was good news Thomas.

With the acquisition of TE Alex Smith from Tampa today, its now time for Dave Thomas to start sweating bullets too.

With the acquisition of TE Alex Smith from Tampa today, its now time for Dave Thomas to start sweating bullets too.

Ditto that, although the Watson trade rumors must have Thomas confused at this point. :confused: ;)

Ditto that, although the Watson trade rumors must have Thomas confused at this point. :confused: ;)

We are all confused, so what else is new, will make more sense in September...

Happy Patriots

4. Dave Thomas- Thomas is going in to the final year of his contract and there was a handful of intriguing TE prospects who, like Thomas, are more known for their receiving skill. The Patriots passed on the position entirely which was good news Thomas.

Watson has been underachieving for a long period of time and is making more money than Thomas. Like Thomas, Watson is entering the final year of his contract. Watson, at least, should be sharing the same hot seat.

5. Mike Richardson/Antwain Spann- These two had to be sweating bullets after the Patriots took 2 DB's in round 2. That brought the roster locks at the position to 9. Not only did the Patriots not take a DB on day 2, but they traded away one of those locks. It's still an uphill battle to the 53 for both of these guys, but the weekend went about as well as they could have hoped.

Since Richardson and Spann have been with the team, BB has drafted 3 CBs: Wheatley, Wilhite, and Butler, 1 Safety: Chung, signed 2 FA CBs Springs and Bodden, and 1 FA Safety: Tank Williams, who was having a solid camp before his knee injury in preseason. I wouldn't call that a ringing endorsement for these two.

If Richardson and Spann are "happy", they are living in an Egyptian river.

6. Matt Gutierrez- Probably reaching here, but there was talk of Pat White possibly being a 3rd QB or drafting Stephen McGee. I think he's happy his biggest competition for the 3rd QB spot will be UDFA Brian Hoyer.

Prior to Cassel's meteoric rise, Gut was considered a lock to beat him out. Yet Gut was cut and brought back only after Brady went down. If Hoyer of 2007 shows up rather than the '08 version, Gut has cause for worry.

Hoch can play center. His spot looks solid.

Last edited:
Happy Patriots

1. Laurence Maroney

A $2.115M charge in dead cap space, and Minus $897,500.00 "saved" if cut? No, he's going to stay right here.

2. Jarvis Green- He's scheduled to make a lot of cash this year and he has to be breathing a sigh of relief that the Patriots didn't draft a DL with a skill set similar to his.[/QUOTE]

Trade/cut of Green results in $2.9M dead cap space, and a $2.040M in savings. Don't see this move. If Seymour and Wilfork leave, they may need to sign Green for '10-'11 just for stability at DL. Hopefully he will be gone, not worth the dough.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back