PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Toler a lower risk CB signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm iintrigued. Small school, seems to appreciate what he's got, or has the cliche script down so well, at least he will fit into the Bellichick locker room. :)

I watched a few vids, BTW. He made some good athletic plays. There's only three things I need to know, can he cover, can he cover and can he cover.

I don't think we need a lot of general purpose defensive backs right now. What's nice about Dennard is you can watch him just for a few plays and see he has that fluidity. Asante does too, it's his greed for money making stats that's his downfall.

The stigma with him is his injury history, as he tore his ACL two seasons ago and was out numerous games with a hamstring injury in 2012.

while it risks developing the new name for our secondary as "the islands of misfit toys" (talib dennard -off-field / dowling toler injuries)

i like the strategy; would fit w/ a BB value -potential approach esp if can talk him into a 1 year incentive-prove it deal. extend him mid-season if he sticks.

at last someone with a brain, Toler would be cheap AND he's a better player than Sean Smith or DRC
How'd he manage to show this in his two starts last season?

Asante does too, it's his greed for money making stats that's his downfall.

You mean aside from his inability to cover man to man, his inability to tackle, and his tendency to gamble and get beat?

Asante is a great zone coverage back, probably one of the best, but that's about where it stops. That said, he'd have still been an upgrade to anything we had last season.

OK, I'm iintrigued. Small school, seems to appreciate what he's got, or has the cliche script down so well, at least he will fit into the Bellichick locker room. :)

I watched a few vids, BTW. He made some good athletic plays. There's only three things I need to know, can he cover, can he cover and can he cover.

I don't think we need a lot of general purpose defensive backs right now. What's nice about Dennard is you can watch him just for a few plays and see he has that fluidity. Asante does too, it's his greed for money making stats that's his downfall.

Ranked the 15th best man to man CB according to focus.

PFF sucks. Full stop.

There's a few on here that like Toler, Deus and myself being two. I'd take him.

PFF sucks. Full stop.

There's a few on here that like Toler, Deus and myself being two. I'd take him.

I like him a lot think he is a good option and will come in for not much more than Arrington.

Ranked the 15th best man to man CB according to focus.

I trust my eyes and i haven't seen him in that situation (made some nice plays, though). It's more an innate ability than a ranking. I know people hate basketball analogies, but some people are natural defenders or shot blockers. It's just a matter of playing relaxed and mimicking your man's moves. You don't get better by practicing, though more herky jerky types can compensate and be better overall

Reportedly, Cleveland has an interest in signing Toler. And he has a connection to their defensive coordinator, Ray Horton. But Arizona wants to re-sign him.

The fish is still alive and out there swimming.

UPDATE 6:52 a.m. ET 3/12/13: Ring [the tweet'er who erred] has since tweeted that there is no deal, and that he meant to refer to Rashad Johnson, not Greg Toler.

Would be at very least a nice depth and competition guy who could even turn out to be a bulk of season 1 or 2.

With the Pats track history on CB injuries; I think we have to have at least 3 viable 1/2 CBs and then the slot (arrington's of the world) guys too.

we shall see. In all likelihood; Pats are not going to sign anybody in first 48 hours of FA; till the guys with money burning in their pockets get done.

The fish is still alive and out there swimming.

Would be at very least a nice depth and competition guy who could even turn out to be a bulk of season 1 or 2.

With the Pats track history on CB injuries; I think we have to have at least 3 viable 1/2 CBs and then the slot (arrington's of the world) guys too.

we shall see. In all likelihood; Pats are not going to sign anybody in first 48 hours of FA; till the guys with money burning in their pockets get done.

I'd be stoked if we could somehow re-sign talib and add toler. Get one of the old free agent safeties the secondary would look alot better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back