PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Cosell discusses impact of Rob Ninkovich, Brandon Spikes on Pats defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say sure has Ninkovich start, its the other OLB spot that's the issue, not Ninkovich.

You're kidding right? That's a play a feature LB makes. Think Willis or Ray Lewis blow that opportunity? Possible but unlikely.

Sure, Mayo could have possibly made that play, but it's not the type of plays he normally makes. Brady sometimes will try to scramble for a first down, but it's something he rarely does and a play we don't expect him to make. My point in the analogy is that I don't expect Mayo to make those kinds of defensive plays in the passing game. We should have dropped Wilfork in zone instead, he would have made that play :).

Last edited:
Mayo's an elite ILB, and is probably the second best in the game. Ninkovich is a rotation-level player/low-end starter, although he seems to be improving over time.

Ninkovich doesn't even dream of being better than Mayo.
I don't even see the need for a comparison. Ninkovich is an OLB/pass rushing hybrid, and he's solid at it. Mayo is a pure ILB.

So are we content with Ninkovich as a starting OLB, or what?

I think he covers the position well. Obviously we're looking to mix in pass rushers in all schemes, since it seems like we aren't playing a particular base D most of the time.

or not. I'm not an X O guy.

I don't even see the need for a comparison. Ninkovich is an OLB/pass rushing hybrid, and he's solid at it. Mayo is a pure ILB.

Take it up with the person who made the original comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference