PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Stuff From Albert Breer on Mac Jones

Evaluating Mac is a somewhat complex matter. First of all, what is the context in which you are evaluating him? The context in Mac's case revolves around the question, "Is he good enough to be a 'franchise quarterback.'" Put another way, "If other elements of the team are in place and sound, is Mac going to be the factor holding the team back." I think that's maybe the baseline question rather than higher order, more open-ended or nebulous question such as," Is Mac going to develop into a really excellent quarterback," or the even more problematic question that no doubt lurks in some minds, "Can he be the next Tom Brady." There are two aspects to this question. First, is he in simple terms "good enough." Call it the quantitative aspect (though generating meaningful numerical data on such things is an iffy undertaking). Is his arm strong enough, can he make the reads, is he a leader, can he get the ball out his hands in a timely manner, can he learn quickly, does he have reasonable quickness/elusiveness in the pocket or on the run, and so forth. The second aspect, and maybe the more difficult one is," Is Mac the the sort of qb who can do well playing the position, as that position has evolved in recent years and as one one can anticipate it will continue to evolve going forward. Teams are playing a faster, more aggressive form of offense, one in which the quarterback's sheer athleticism - his ability to move and throw on the move, his ability to run the ball himself, the sheer speed with which he can make things happen all matter more than they used to. We often hear, "Mac is more athletic than people think," but that is such faint praise that it virtually acknowledges that Mac's athleticism is a legitimate concern. I think that on the first, simpler aspect - is he good enough to be a starting qb - the answer is probably though not certainly yes; but there remains the possibility, taking the second aspect into account, that the answer overall might be,"Mac would have been a very good to excellent qb as the game was played a dozen years ago, but he is not up to the task as the game has evolved - in significant part because of rules changes which will not be reversed. A dozen years we might have said, "He's not as good as Tom, but he has the same sort of skills, so it just might work." But maybe now we will have to say, "The game has passed this sort of quarterback by, sound player though Mac may be." A big part of the answer will depend on the extent to which BO'B can incorporate newer "collegiate" aspects of the game into the offense - a task for which he ought to be well suited, as indeed Mac might also be - with Mac as qb. An additional problem in making this determination is that the offensive team Mac must lead is so p--s poor in so many areas that Mac may not get a fair shot (AGAIN!!) at showing what he can do. For that problem, we have the GM to thank, yet again. SO maybe the real question is, "How do we solve that problem."

I think it is a two pronged issue as you allude to:

1.) Is Mac even an elite QB? I mean a top 5 QB in the NFL with the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Hurts? I say no. But he has a similar skill set to Joe Burrow. Which proves that you don't need to be a dual threat QB to be elite in the NFL. You just need to move the chains...however you can.

2.) Is Mac good enough to win a Superbowl with? I say yes. IMO, my baseline for Jones is Kirk Cousins...and I believe Mac has more upside than Cousins. And does anyone think that Cousins can win a SB with a complementary team? I do...I mean I have seen Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles win Superbowls. I have seen Ben Roethlisberger win a Superbowl despite playing poorly...same for Peyton Manning on the 2015 Broncos.

So, it is a difficult evaluation....the goal is to win Superbowls and if Mac is just "solid" this year...is that enough for us to pick up his 5th year option? I think it is unfair, but Mac needs to have a really good season or we will just press the re-boot button at the QB position EVEN if Mac is a solid starting QB in the league.

I think it is a two pronged issue as you allude to:

1.) Is Mac even an elite QB? I mean a top 5 QB in the NFL with the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Hurts? I say no. But he has a similar skill set to Joe Burrow. Which proves that you don't need to be a dual threat QB to be elite in the NFL. You just need to move the chains...however you can.

2.) Is Mac good enough to win a Superbowl with? I say yes. IMO, my baseline for Jones is Kirk Cousins...and I believe Mac has more upside than Cousins. And does anyone think that Cousins can win a SB with a complementary team? I do...I mean I have seen Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles win Superbowls. I have seen Ben Roethlisberger win a Superbowl despite playing poorly...same for Peyton Manning on the 2015 Broncos.

So, it is a difficult evaluation....the goal is to win Superbowls and if Mac is just "solid" this year...is that enough for us to pick up his 5th year option? I think it is unfair, but Mac needs to have a really good season or we will just press the re-boot button at the QB position EVEN if Mac is a solid starting QB in the league.
no disrespect, but Mac Jones doesn't belong in the same sentence as Joe Burrow IMO.

Jones' attitude around the Raiders' game time of the season last year was wrong, but people do forget that he put up with a lot of garbage for a long time last year before he finally let is emotions get the best of him. It was later in the season when he finally lost it. Brady wasn't as patient in 2019 and was clearly making his displeasure with his weapons known.

Patricia was getting Mac injured out there. Belichick was throwing Mac under the bus for the poor offensive effort. Patricia took away the things Mac did best with being able to make adjustments at the line and call audibles.

I am not excusing Mac's actions, but I don't think any other coaching staff was working against their starting QB as much as the Pats were with Jones. They deserve a lot of the blame for the situation. Mac should have handled it better and he deserves criticism, but I don't think a QB could have a worse situation than what Mac had last year.
I think we all forget that the kid, and I use the term on purpose, is now 24 years old. He's just a kid. The last guy was here well into his 40's. I think we could allow some lack of 100% maturity.
Higher Upside-Mac Jones or Peyton Manning?
Now? Mac. Manningface is on his way to Bledsoe's winery.

Am I reading the room correctly?
We like this positive Breer article on Mac.....but we don't like his negative Juju article.
I think both articles are sound. Breer might have been a little over the top in his diction - exploding knees!! - but I think we have known for some time that JuJu has knee problems. On a related matter, they should have kept Jakobi: he's a better and younger player whose presence on the team would have attested that hard work and the right attitude actually do pay off in New England. Frankly, essentially trading Jakobu for JuJu is just another in the growing list of asinine Belichick decisions on offense.

I think both articles are sound. Breer might have been a little over the top in his diction - exploding knees!! - but I think we have known for some time that JuJu has knee problems. On a related matter, they should have kept Jakobi: he's a better and younger player whose presence on the team would have attested that hard work and the right attitude actually do pay off in New England. Frankly, essentially trading Jakobu for JuJu is just another in the growing list of asinine Belichick decisions on offense.
JJSS DOB: 11/22/1996
Jakobi DOB: 11/9/1996

We've covered the difference in the players' games in other threads, so I am not going to derail the thread further, but the age thing is a non-factor. They are essentially the same age.

JJSS DOB: 11/22/1996
Jakobi DOB: 11/9/1996

We've covered the difference in the players' games in other threads, so I am not going to derail the thread further, but the age thing is a non-factor. They are essentially the same age.
Jakobi is younger medically and certainly in terms of overall wear and use. I don't know why you all are so exercised about this age business. I couldn't care less about the d---d number. You're talking about a difference of 13 days: buy a clue, will ya? Jakobi is, based on this preseason and on any reasonable consideration of his medical history, physically less sound - "older" - than Jakobi. To deny this is to deny a simple fact. Perhaps I just don't share your desperate tendresse for our wayward GM. Maybe that's the issue. JuJu for Jakobi is a bad deal: that's undeniable at this point. Talk to me in 6 weeks or so if you require confirmation.

Jakobi is younger medically and certainly in terms of overall wear and use. I don't know why you all are so exercised about this age business. I couldn't care less about the d---d number. You're talking about a difference of 13 days: buy a clue, will ya? Jakobi is, based on this preseason and on any reasonable consideration of his medical history, physically less sound - "older" - than Jakobi. To deny this is to deny a simple fact. Perhaps I just don't share your desperate tendresse for our wayward GM. Maybe that's the issue. JuJu for Jakobi is a bad deal: that's undeniable at this point. Talk to me in 6 weeks or so if you require confirmation.
Meyers missed 3 games due to injury last year. Smith-Schuster missed one. They are exactly the same age. Smith-Schuster has been more productive at a higher level, and is making less money.

Sorry to inconvenience you with facts.

Look, you're the one with an axe to grind on Bill and his asinine decisions on hiring a guy with better YAC than the guy who was here, when everyone on this board said they needed to get better in the WR room. So they need to get better, but keep the same players? Right. You're the one who made the statement that that JJSS is older, not me. Further, they literally lost a game because of Meyers stupid play throwing the lateral. That could have gotten the guy benched or cut back when they were winning all the time.

Keep your agenda in check and analyze the player or players for what they are.

I have a lot of family that went to Bama so I follow them closely. Mac's year there was amazing and I thought he was better than Tua. Waddle got hurt after a couple weeks and so Mac relied heavily on Devonta. I bet you if Waddle never got hurt Mac wins the heisman. That offense was a machine.
I follow UA football closely also (I'm just up the road at UAB, we are the research elephant in the state while UA is the elephant in football and undergrad student population). I agree with you, the way I would put it is that Tua and Mac were very different QBs but Mac ended up more effective. Before all of his serious injuries Tua was more naturally talented, creative and sometimes uncontrollable (if a play wasn't working, he would improvise, he just couldn't help himself). Conversely, Mac was fanatic at preparation and he did EXACTLY what the coaches asked him to do in the gameplan, especially when it came to limiting turnovers. I think Mac ended up being more effective, but admittedly following the gameplan to a 't" works better when you have the gameplan developed by outstanding offensive minds like Steve Sarkasian as the OC.

When the Pats drafted Mac I was super excited and in his first year Mac had another excellent OC in Josh and he played fairly well for a rookie. In his second year BB did his weird experiment with Matt Patricia who seemed to be trying to learn on the fly (to put it charitably), Mac lost faith in the OC and he had a lousy year and even complained out loud at the play calling on the sidelines (which I have to say both surprised and disappointed me, I can't imagine him doing that at Alabama).

Most Alabama fans were glad to see BOB go, but at least he is a real OC with experience both under Saban and BB. I'm hopeful that Mac recovers and has a good year under BOB. However, if he throws any more temper tantrums like last year I think he will be toast.

Last edited:
If you put Mac on the Dolphins with mcdaniels, walddle and tyreek hill and Tua on the patriots with matt patricia the roles would be reversed simple as that.

I follow UA closely football also (I'm just up the road at UAB, we are the research elephant in the state while UA is the elephant in football and undergrad student population). I agree with you, the way I would put it is that Tua and Mac were very different QBs but Mac ended up more effective. Before all of his serious injuries Tua was more naturally talented, creative and sometimes uncontrollable (if a play wasn't working, he would improvise, he just couldn't help himself). Conversely, Mac was fanatic at preparation and he did EXACTLY what the coaches asked him to do in the gameplan, especially when it came to limiting turnovers. I think Mac ended up being more effective, but admittedly following the gameplan to a 't" works better when have the gameplan developed by outstanding offensive minds like Steve Sarkasian as the OC.

When the Pats drafted Mac I was super excited and in his first year Mac had another excellent OC in Josh and he played fairly well for a rookie. In his second year BB did his weird experiment with Matt Patricia who seemed to be trying to learn on the fly (to put it charitably), Mac lost faith in the OC and he had a lousy year and even complained out loud at the play calling on the sidelines (which I have to say both surprised and disappointed me, I can't imaging him doing that at Alabama).

Most Alabama fans were glad to see BOB go, but at least he is a real OC with experience both under Saban and BB. I'm hopefully that Mac recovers and has a good year under BOB. However, if he throws any more temper tantrums like last year I think he will be toast.
Agreed. Honestly the 49ers were the perfect fit for him, he is a pure system quarterback but with a coach like Shanahan and his system it would've been perfect for both sides and they wouldn't have had the Trey Lance situation. I'm glad we have him though we just need good offensive minds.

We like this positive Breer article on Mac.....but we don't like his negative Juju article.

I have always thought Breer is a wanker.

Great Job Reaction GIF by Bounce

After going over the television game tape again, one of the POSITIVE things I saw from Mac, was more comfort and CONTROL while moving in the pocket.

Mack HAS athletic ability. His 40 (4.8) and 3cone (7.0) are very similar to Mahomes.
Well, that's reassuring. If the Patriots get down two scores in the 3rd quarter on Sunday, Mac can audible out of the play and tell everyone to do a three-cone drill. Yeesh.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back