PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell Gallows Watch - I Say, Gone Before the Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that Goodell has a terrible PR problem, but that the owners like him because he ruthlessly positions the NFL to squeeze every dime it can from the paying public and the player's union.

There's just been such a long list of butt-fumbleesque Goodellisms, despite which he's maintained the notion that his job is anything other than perfectly secure, that it seems to me he knows he's teflon as long as he helps the bottom line growth of the product. There have been lots of times recently that Goodell has neared rock bottom - I guess I don't see how there's any more motive now than there has been.

I keep hearing about how he monetizes everything better than anyone could. Yet, he almost folded the pro bowl after last years pitiful performance (I read). Stupid picking sides things aside, why hasn't he thought to promote the game through the silly, but possibly entertaining event?

My idea was forget the actual games in europe and elsewhere (stupid because they're worse than thursday night games for causing injuries and poor play) and just have the pro Bowl in a different foreign city every year. You could have the host country and a rival sponsor the opposing squads.

There isn't going to be real competitive play with 6-8 hour travel times anyway, so why not showcase the greatest in the game after the Super Bowl? You promote the TV packages of real games world wide and give players and their families an interesting foreign trip.

To me, goodell has simply grabbed a hold of a moving train and got credit for feeding the burner, when he's just hanging on.

What level is that ? Worm farming?
Fun answer: worm farmers are useful.

Serious answer: he knows the administrative mechanics very well. He is a good administrator, not a General Manager and certainly not a CEO. That has to be so obvious to the Kraft's with their HBS pedigrees that it's not even funny.

This was the most watched Super Bowl despite Goodell. The booing by fans to Goodell after the Super Bowl showed everyone what the fans think of Goodell.
exactly. the league is moving forward of its own momentum. Goodell has nothing to do with it.

I seriously doubt he will be gone

This was the most watched Super Bowl despite Goodell. The booing by fans to Goodell after the Super Bowl showed everyone what the fans think of Goodell.

That's one answer. How about this response that might explain why record numbers watched these two teams. Which of the two teams had national appeal as neither was new to the dance? Generate hate for the Pats and people tune in to see them fall. Do you really believe these 'leaks' are that hard to detect and shut down? The military has millions of people in the organization, and we could lock down leaks. The NFL has what, a few hundred employees? Bumbling, or orchestrated?

The real issues? Concussions. Domestic violence. Long term player health. Who is talking about any of those real issues right now? We are talking about an under-inflated football, and I bet the farm there is no evidence of foul play to corrupt the title game.

He is playing the clown, and nobody is focusing on the issues that could generate major PR problems for the NFL as a business. Roger is the human shield for the owners and their profits. The fact fans boo him, but watch in record numbers doesn't seem like a bad thing if you are an owner. How do you see a 'competent' commissioner handling these major issues, and how does such an individual's comprehensive solutions serve the business of the NFL?

This being the most watched Superbowl had absolutely nothing to do with Goodell. It had to do with a stupid scandal that the media decided to make a national story, a bunch of Seahawks bandwagoners and Patriots Hate that has been steaming for years.

And who set up the scandal? And whose office leaked the leaks that fed the mediot witch hunt? And who failed to do anything about the leaks?

If the investigation shows that there was no tampering by the Patriots, he will apologize to Kraft and the Patriots organization for one simple reason: Kraft is highly influential. He can turn all 32 owners against Goodell in a heartbeat and Goodell knows it.

That's why if I had to bet on it, Goodell is going to stay.

For a comparison, here is Goodell presenting the Lombardi trophy in 2014 and 2013:

It seems like he talked a little more in those presentations, but not by a lot. He also didn't stick around too long after presenting the trophy.

Would like to believe you're right, but it takes 3/4 of the owners to vote to fire him does it not? Sadly, don't see that happening soon.

If he goes, there are several possibilities for the mechanics:

1. An outright vote like you're suggesting. That would be ugly for the league, because it shows division. Efforts will be made to avoid it.

2. A resignation with a golden parachute, on the not wholly false pretext that he's become a divisive and distracting figure.

To grease the skids for #2, somebody could reveal something new that casts him in a yet slightly worse light than he already appears.

There's one way he could try to save his job -- hire a strong sidekick to handle all things enforcement. Problem: It's hard to see that working without making clear how much he's botched in the past.

The political figure who should be recruited to replace Goodell is not Condi Rice, who brings nothing relevant to the job except fame and brains. Rather, it's Eric Holder. Think about it. If you're a Republican who hates him, you probably think either he's too loyal to his boss or too friendly to African-Americans. The former is a near-inevitable characteristic of the commissioner, and the latter -- at least in perception -- would be a very good trait for the commissioner to have.

Again, as long as the green festering Mike Kensil cancer is excised from the NFL offices, I'm OK with the Dummydell continuing on as the league pinataboy.

After congratulating "both teams...but especially the Patriots". What a jerkoff. Had to try to minimize the win by talking about both teams before even mentioning NE.

I tell you what -- if I ever hear that Kraft votes to support Goodell on anything ever again, I want Jonathan to have the old man declared incompetent and take over the team.

Well said, After seein Kraft do that Presser and not show up to Goodell's when he used to is a start that BS STOPS NOW!

People calling Goodell a hypocrite for declining the interview while fining Lynch clearly don't know the rules of the league. It's essentially a condition of employment that players have to make themselves available to the media at certain times. Unless someone can show where it is in Goodell's contract that he has to be available for Post SB Interviews (which would be taking away from the SB Winner) people are just spewing hatred.

I can't stand Goodell. He's clearly biased and unfair in so many of his rulings. That being said, I believe that Kensil and Blandino will be removed before Goodell will be. Kensil for leading the wild good chase known as "Deflate-gate" and Blandino for throwing the refs under the bus the way he did..

3/4 to fire him, but he won't get fired. If he's lost the support of the most influential owners, he'll "resign" to save face. They'll brings back Tags as a temporary bridge while they do an exhaustive search for a new commish.

From your lips to God's ears..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe