PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gene Mruczkowski, Ross Tucker or Billy Yates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Obviously, Koppen, Mankins, Neal and rookie Dan Stevenson are roster locks, but which one or which two in the title thread do you think will get the last roster spot for the G/C position.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Obviously, Koppen, Mankins, Neal and rookie Dan Stevenson are roster locks, but which one or which two in the title thread do you think will get the last roster spot for the G/C position.

You know what's extremely funny and sad at the same time? I had this dilemma while trying to update my roster on madden 06. After about 10 minutes of struggle I decide to let Yates go, due to his limited upside. Also, we have a younger and more valuable mauler in O'callaghan to play guard. Atleast, that was my take on the whole thing.
I also had to let Klecko go, in order to make room on the roster for Le Kevin Smith. It was sad. I'm going to go cry now. :)

PATRIOTS-80 said:

Whoa! How is Stevenson a lock?!?!

I see the line situation shaking out like this (The Pats have no need to carry more than 9.)

Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Hochstein (main interior backup)
Mruczkowski (saw plenty of time at LG when Ashworth went to FB and Mankins to LT. Is also a capable backup C)

Light
Kaczur
Gorin
O'Callaghan

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:

Patriots80, I enjoy these threads but you need to really think about what you mean when you say lock.

I'd say Stevenson is a longshot.

A lock is somebody that's a definite starter or high first round pick.

Even if you meant to say O'Callaghan, you should say has a good chance in my opinion.

Saying low round draft picks are locks diminishes the credibility of otherwise refreshing, good posts at this slow time of year.

Ross Tucker is a big threat to Hochstein. Solid, experienced G-C.

Britt and O'Callaghan will threaten Gorins tenure.

Status quo otherwise.

RayClay said:
Ross Tucker is a big threat to Hochstein. Solid, experienced G-C.

And Hochstein isn't...and a much better one at that?

pats1 said:
And Hochstein isn't...and a much better one at that?

Tucker has been a starter at guard and center and lost his job because of a back injury.

I thought Hochstein did a great job filling in for Koppen and has taken advantage of his limited opportunities.

I doubt either one of us has studied both players enough to say one is "much better" than the other.

The fact of the matter is we have more talent than we've had in the Bellichick era at OL and some players that made the team easily before will really have to compete now.

And that's a good thing.

I feel there could be unexpected changes on the OLine.
The Only sure starter I see is Mankins.

Light may not have recovered and Kazcur could challenge him for LT.
Callaghan could challenge for RT over any other Tackle.
If Light and Callaghan are the Tackles then Kaczur could challenge Neal
for the Guard position as he can play both positions.
Finally Koppen ... will he return to form? Not much has been said about his
recovery process. One read said he had a big scar from the surgery.
If Koppen can't go ... could there be someone unexpected step to assume
the position?

There are a lot of questions , some health related other competition related.
Just can't see how anyone can make a prediction until reports start coming
out of TC and what is seen in preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
pats1 said:
Whoa! How is Stevenson a lock?!?!

I see the line situation shaking out like this (The Pats have no need to carry more than 9.)

Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Hochstein (main interior backup)
Mruczkowski (saw plenty of time at LG when Ashworth went to FB and Mankins to LT. Is also a capable backup C)

Light
Kaczur
Gorin
O'Callaghan

When I say "lock," I mean we are not getting rid of him (even if he doesn't necessarily make the 53. PS for instance, which he has a good chance of. I should not of said "roster locks" in my previous post. The first three are "roster locks," Stevenson is a lock to be kept by the Patriots.

RayClay said:
Patriots80, I enjoy these threads but you need to really think about what you mean when you say lock.

I'd say Stevenson is a longshot.

A lock is somebody that's a definite starter or high first round pick.

Even if you meant to say O'Callaghan, you should say has a good chance in my opinion.

Saying low round draft picks are locks diminishes the credibility of otherwise refreshing, good posts at this slow time of year.

Agreed. He has "a good chance." I even think has a really good chance, especially if we carry more than 9 OL, which is possible.

PATRIOTS-80 said:

What makes you think an untried non-highly rated Guard is a roster lock?

Last edited by a moderator:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
When I say "lock," I mean we are not getting rid of him (even if he doesn't necessarily make the 53. PS for instance, which he has a good chance of. I should not of said "roster locks" in my previous post. The first three are "roster locks," Stevenson is a lock to be kept by the Patriots.

You're making really good posts for this slow time. I don't mean to keep harping on the "lock" thing, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Kind of like when people start calling a player a superstar because he has one good game.

Besides that great posts, keep it up.

RayClay said:
Kind of like when people start calling a player a superstar because he has one good game.

I hate that too.

RayClay said:
You're making really good posts for this slow time.
Geez its slow. I'm having to manufacture something to talk about football related, and this is the best I could come up with.

"A lock is somebody that's a definite starter or high first round pick."

I think you take your point too far here. A lock is somebody who will FOR SURE make the roster. There are plenty of those who are neither "definite starters" nor "high first round picks" - Jarvis, Faulk, James Sanders, Kaczur (not a "definite" starter), Matt Cassel, to name a handful.

Trusting the old medical adage that time heals all wounds ... and enough time
shall have transpired ... i feel i have to presume that Light and Koppen both return in pretty good shape.

That would leave us with an O-line that is as deep as our secondary ... and of still better quality.
It might even disclose itself to be that "dominating O-line" that many were calling for before the draft.
Regrettably, the Pats are going to have to release a few men who can play in this league.

I think that
Light
Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Kaczur and
Hochstein
are the locks.

This year the rest of the roster seems to dictate that we'll carry 9 O-linemen.
Thus, the remaining 3 spots will fall among
Gorin
Tucker
Britt
Mruc,
or Yates

Although Yates' career here shows that the coaches view him with favor ... i think that he will become the first of those to go.
Gorin or Mruc will probably be the other.
That player (Gorin or Mruc) will stick if there is an IR ahead on the depth chart.
To summarize, i believe that
Tucker
Britt and
Mruc/Gorin
will be the the 7th, 8th, and 9th OLs.

I imagine that O'Callaghan's best prospects for '06 are a redshirt IR year.
Stevenson should serve on the p/s.
And there is room on the p/s for either Roehl or Steitz ... but not both.

That's a powerful line, boys and girls.

flutie2phelan said:
Trusting the old medical adage that time heals all wounds ... and enough time
shall have transpired ... i feel i have to presume that Light and Koppen both return in pretty good shape.

That would leave us with an O-line that is as deep as our secondary ... and of still better quality.
It might even disclose itself to be that "dominating O-line" that many were calling for before the draft.
Regrettably, the Pats are going to have to release a few men who can play in this league.

I think that
Light
Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Kaczur and
Hochstein
are the locks.

This year the rest of the roster seems to dictate that we'll carry 9 O-linemen.
Thus, the remaining 3 spots will fall among
Gorin
Tucker
Britt
Mruc,
or Yates

Although Yates' career here shows that the coaches view him with favor ... i think that he will become the first of those to go.
Gorin or Mruc will probably be the other.
That player (Gorin or Mruc) will stick if there is an IR ahead on the depth chart.
To summarize, i believe that
Tucker
Britt and
Mruc/Gorin
will be the the 7th, 8th, and 9th OLs.

I imagine that O'Callaghan's best prospects for '06 are a redshirt IR year.
Stevenson should serve on the p/s.
And there is room on the p/s for either Roehl or Steitz ... but not both.

That's a powerful line, boys and girls.

One of the best posts I have read. My three are Britt, O'Callagan, and Tucker/Mruc.

patsox23 said:
"A lock is somebody that's a definite starter or high first round pick."

I think you take your point too far here. A lock is somebody who will FOR SURE make the roster. There are plenty of those who are neither "definite starters" nor "high first round picks" - Jarvis, Faulk, James Sanders, Kaczur (not a "definite" starter), Matt Cassel, to name a handful.

But the point of a "lock" is we know before hand. You can take some low round picks and say that in retrospect, but that doesn't mean it's a lock.

If you want to find out the hazards of counting "locks" that aren't, check with Art Schlicter or some other gambling addict.

I would digagree any of those players would be what I consider locks. Dave Stachelski was a 5th round pick for a coach who couldn't and still can't get enough tight ends.

Cut in training camp.

Being a lock means no way it won't happen. Brady's a lock, Seymour's a lock so are most of the proven starters or backups in their prime.

I don't think I see locks past the second round in this draft. That doesn't mean we don't have talent and needs.

Obviously, some people have a looser definition of "lock" than I do.

It doesn't mean high probability it means certainty.

Maybe none will make it..I think the big factor is who is on PUP when TC starts..(and who stays on...)

RayClay said:
Obviously, some people have a looser definition of "lock" than I do. It doesn't mean high probability it means certainty.
Certainty?? I don't think there is ever a certainty...there are injuries that take that certainty away.. "highly probable" might be betetr said..how about 90% chance and above...?? Closer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News