PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW: Alex Bannister released

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
IIRC, this is one of those players that Belichick singled out for high praise a few years ago. Given his terrific S/T's play and the fact that we could stand to bring in another vet WR, I think his release bears watching. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
patsox23 said:
IIRC, this is one of those players that Belichick singled out for high praise a few years ago. Given his terrific S/T's play and the fact that we could stand to bring in another vet WR, I think his release bears watching. Thoughts?

I don't know how good he is on special teams, but as a receiver he makes Bethel look like Jerry Rice.

I'm only going on his 9 career receptions not on any observations.

It was his ST play that Belichick used to like so much. That was a couple of years ago, though, and we've brought in several ST guys so who knows.

Bannister was a ST All-Pro a few years ago, and I recall BB really praising him as well. Would be a good signing if he was a ST ace and was able to contribute legit production as WR5. Certainly more valuable than Bethel.

I would think this may be a no brainer...which is why I think it may NOT happen...I would definitely bring him in...he's ONLY 27..and 6'5"....and while he may ONLY have a few catches...he may have it in himself to oush himself even more!!! U hope it happens..a GREAT addition!!!

Bannister has been unable to stay healthy since his Pro Bowl appearance for ST in 2003. He has broken his collarbone three times in the same place since then.

I don't know what his current medical status is (he last broke it in the 3rd game last season), but an injury that re-occurs in the same manner three times is a concern.

There just aren't enough spots for ST guys like him who do nothing else. He is not a guy we would play at WR.

If he wants to come in and compete with Tebucky and Mitchell for a ST spot I'm sure we would welcome him but we won't be keeping all those guys that we have now so there is no guarantee for him here. Bannister's pedigree will probably get him a spot on a team where he'll be more of a roster lock as a ST guy.

NE39 said:
Bannister has been unable to stay healthy since his Pro Bowl appearance for ST in 2003. He has broken his collarbone three times in the same place since then.

I don't know what his current medical status is (he last broke it in the 3rd game last season), but an injury that re-occurs in the same manner three times is a concern.
That was my first thought, what is his health status? A guy who has been a top ST player doesn't get cut this early unless there are health or work ethic problems. If he can pass a physical I can see BB bringing him in to compete, until then, he is a no-go.

NE39 said:

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the insight.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That was my first thought, what is his health status? A guy who has been a top ST player doesn't get cut this early unless there are health or work ethic problems. If he can pass a physical I can see BB bringing him in to compete, until then, he is a no-go.
Why did I miss that whole heath deal...Absolutely...something must be amiss...Get the doctors on him quick to see!!

Bannister is a great ST player and very hard worker.

He reportedly has worked hard at learning to play WR, which he wanted to do after feeling like he was getting pigeon-holed in a ST role early in his career. he continued to perform on ST, but when he re-signed with Seattle in FA it was with the understanding he would get a shot at playing some WR as well. He is a tall WR, at 6'5", 205#, and must have some athleticism to be such a good ST player.

However, he broke his collarbone in the middle of the 2004 season, broke it again in minicamp the following offseason, and then re-injured it for the final time last September. I would think he has had enough time to heal, but the possibility that the injury could occur again is high enough that Seattle decided to cut him.

I wouldn't mind the Pats taking a flyer on the guy, but whoever signs him likely won't offer him more than the minimum. He is also likely to be asked to sign a split contract, which means he only collects half his salary if he ends up on IR again.

Keep in mind, Bannister was born in Ohio and went to college at Eastern Kentucky. Though he has played for Seattle his entire career (they drafted him), it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with a team in the Midwest somewhere, like Cleveland or Tennessee.

Last edited:
Here's what BB said about Bannister before the Pats/Seahawks matchup October 13, 2004:

Bill Belichick said:
They are very good in the kicking game. I think they have in Alex Bannister probably as good of a player as I have ever coached against on special teams. This guy is really an exceptional player. Wherever he is on the field, whether he is rushing kicks, whether he is covering them, he is a big time player and a guy we are going to have to account for.

http://www.patriots.com/games/index.cfm?ac=completereportsdetail&pid=9306&pcid=85&special_section=na

(Funny how your mind can remember what BB said about a player two seasons ago, yet I can't recall what I had for breakfast yesterday morning...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes