PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriots LB Bruschi Says He'd Target Foster's Hamstring

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the player chooses to step on the field he is essentially proclaiming that he is in good enough condition to take those kind of hits.

Troy Polamalu takes that same risk by choosing to play with hair dangling two feet from his head. He has acknowledged that his hair is a legitimate target for defenders to tackle him by, and even said that he would do the same.

If Bruschi is talking about dirty hits (e.g. after the whistle, or away from the play) then I do not support what he said. But if he is talking about hitting a ball-carrier in a (legal) way that specifically maximizes the impact to a certain (legal) area of their body, in order to test their will and/or their health, then I believe that is to be expected and encouraged. If a player can't tolerate that, they don't belong on the field in the first place.

Former Patriots LB Bruschi Says He'd Target Foster's Hamstring
By: Ian Logue

You have to love Tedy Bruschi's honesty. The ESPN analyst told ESPN Radio Thursday that he'd target Texans runningback Arian Foster's hamstring if he was still playing after Foster showed an MRI image of his injured hamstring recently....

More of the same. Great football player, terrible analyst.

Targeting a known weak point is not dirty. Why do apex predators target the slow and the weak? Because they are easy targets, that's why.

It seems you have confused intent to injure with attacking a known problem.

Hitting a guy who has a weak hamstring in the hamstring most certainly is intent to injure.

I hear you - but the thing I was trying to point out is that fact that Bruschi's not out on a limb with this one. This is more of a widespread mentality than people probably realize, and it makes the fact they tend to not want to disclose injuries a little more logical when you take this into account.

And lots of guys lead with their helmets and get brain injuries. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do something to change it.

Deliberately trying to injure another player should be something that gets you suspended, or banned.

If you don't like the way the game is played, don't watch it. No one is going to miss you. Some of you should be watching flag football instead.

This is the way the Pro game has been played forever and it's not like people haven't said that. Now all of a sudden Tedy says it and people get religion? What a bunch of horsecrap.

So now that you know this is the game, go watch woman's tennis or something because people are always going to try and get an edge.

Last edited:
Hitting a guy who has a weak hamstring in the hamstring most certainly is intent to injure.

A baseball hitter has a big hole away and down; So a pitcher sets him up for strike 3.

A basketball player can't shot moving to his left; So you take away his right.

A poker player always smirks when he has a great hand; But no, let's pretend we don't see it. Please.

Not the same? The nature of football is physical, if I'm an OLB and I have P. Manning in my sights, you bet I'll hit him as hard as I can w/o actually hitting him in an illegal way, if he is lost for the season because of his neck - just too bad. If you are on the field, you are liable to be hit.

Last edited:
If you don't like the way the game is played, don't watch it. No one is going to miss you. Some of you should be watching flag football instead.

If there weren't people who thought the game could be better, we'd still be watching a game where QBs threw more INTs than completions, teams ran the ball 50 times a game, and guys died on the field.

A baseball hitter has a big hole away and down; So a pitcher sets him up for strike 3.

A basketball player can't shot moving to his left; So you take away his right.

A poker player always smirks when he has a great hand; But no, let's pretend we don't see it. Please.

Not the same? The nature of football is physical, if I'm an OLB and I have P. Manning in my sights, you bet I'll hit him as hard as I can to get his head/neck to whiplash w/o actually hitting him in an illegal way. If you are on the field, you are liable to be hit.

Again, there's a difference between going after a player's weakness (IE, pitching high and tight, or guarding a guy on one side,) and deliberately trying to hit a guy in a way that could end his career. I mean, seriously, you're actually advocation that player's go out of their way to try to end other player's careers?

I'd rather have my DE try to knock the ball out of Peyton's hand than try to hurt his neck worse.

If there weren't people who thought the game could be better, we'd still be watching a game where QBs threw more INTs than completions, teams ran the ball 50 times a game, and guys died on the field.

Spare me the gloom and doom. This isn't news to anyone who's watched the game and it certainly isn't news to anyone who's played the game. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I have known forever that this goes on and so do serious fans. Spare us the sanctimonious nonsense and watch something else.

Now that you know even Saint Tedy does it, how widespread do you think it is? Good luck policing the bottom of a pile.

Last edited:
Wanna see a dose of reality? Watch North Dallas Forty. Yes, it's a comedy but written by a former NFL player. That's about as close to the truth as you're going to get. If you can't handle what goes on in that movie, you shouldn't be watching games on Sunday.

Spare me the gloom and doom. This isn't news to anyone who's watched the game and it certainly isn't news to anyone who's played the game. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I have known forever that this goes on and so do serious fans. Spare us the sanctimonious nonsense and watch something else.

Now that you know even Saint Tedy does it, how widespread do you think it is? Good luck policing the bottom of a pile.

So, you're saying that you like every single aspect of football? There's nothing you would change?

Of course we all know it goes on.

Wanna see a dose of reality? Watch North Dallas Forty. Yes, it's a comedy but written by a former NFL player. That's about as close to the truth as you're going to get. If you can't handle what goes on in that movie, you shouldn't be watching games on Sunday.

Sometimes I think that you people don't understand the english language. There is a huge gap between "not being able to handle" and dislike.

Clearly, you are either incapable of understanding that, or are delibrately trying to be an assclown. I'd hope its the latter, but I'm not sure you've got enough brain function for that, with all the getting hit in the head.

Yes Foster is a complete dumb@$$! And Bruschi is one of my favorite Patriots.

HOWEVER there is a FUNDAMENTAL difference between attacking an opponents weakness during the proper course of play, like hitting him in the mouth during a fight, and cheapshotting your opponent after the play is over, ala hitting him after the bell has rang.

This is a basic principle of gamesmanship, and it applies evenly to all players and all teams. If you guys are so quick to defend Teddy because he is a Patriots legend, then do not ***** when Suh cheapshots Mankins or when every Steeler player does it!

I was upset to hear Teddy say this in an open forum, even if what he says is true. Sometimes it's more important to set a hood example than it I'd to speak your mind. And on a person level, I give no athlete credit for running their mouth, I only give them credit when they abstain from doing so!

First of all, Bruschi and no one on here is promoting "cheapshotting" anyone. Bruschi simply stated that if he were on the field and had to tackle Foster that he would try to focus his hit and tackle on the area that Foster has stupidly promoted. Second, don't lump me or most other people on here with those that hate Suh for the way he plays. I enjoy watching the guy play, BUT he or anyone should be held accountable for any cheapshot they may administer. Tedy gets paid to speak his mind, and quite honestly, after seeing him do his talking on the field throughout his career, he has earned the right to speak his mind any way he sees fit.

Terrible analyst? I don't think so.

Of coarse you don’t. lol

You're Capt. of the Homer Squad.

Bruschi could take a mallet to a bunny on air, eat its brains like spaghetti, and you would be on here talking about the outstanding nutritional value of bunny brains. :D

Of coarse you don’t. lol

You're Capt. of the Homer Squad.

Bruschi could take a mallet to a bunny on air, eat its brains like spaghetti, and you would be on here talking about the outstanding nutritional value of bunny brains. :D

Bruschi's been fine as a new analyst. It doesn't take a homer to think that.

To be clear, I couldn’t care less if Tedy bit some guy in his balls on the bottom of a pile if it helped the Pats win... whatever.

Im just saying that as an analyst you don’t want to be up there talking about that stuff. It's in poor taste. Some things that happen on the field are better left there. This is probably one of them.

Bruschi's been fine as a new analyst. It doesn't take a homer to think that.

I disagree. I think he's a dope.

Love the guy, dont get me wrong. But he's no better (imo) than Mark Schlereth.

To be clear, I couldn’t care less if Tedy bit some guy in his balls on the bottom of a pile if it helped the Pats win... whatever.

Im just saying that as an analyst you don’t want to be up there talking about that stuff. It's in poor taste. Some things that happen on the field are better left there. This is probably one of them.

The analyst's job is to talk about what's going on. If you've got a gripe, take it up with Foster, since he's he one who put his MRI on Twitter.

Bruschi did his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore