PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Colts free agent DE Dwight Freeney visiting the Pats today

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 minute defense front 4
Abraham-Armstead-Jones-Freeney

This looks like a good deterrent for game winning drives from opposing offenses.

Why don't they bring in Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, too?

This is ridiculous.

How many washed up ex-superstars are we going to get all wet about on this messageboard? Did we learn nothing at all from the Albert friggin' Haynesworth, Fred Taylor, Chad Ochocinco, Sammy Morris, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, Shawn Springs, etc, etc, experiences?

The Patriots need to focus on the value guys in their mid 20s - and there are a load of them on the board, especially on defense. The upgrade to a 27-year-old Danny Amendola from the 32-year-old Wes Welker is by design, not some personal vendetta.

NFL football takes a terrible toll on the brains and bodies of these players. If you think you're going to get the quality, strength and speed of Freeney, Abraham, Reed etc of their mid 20s - forget it. And more to the point, if you think these guys will still be on the field in January when it matters most, forget that too.

The Patriots do not need guys to look good in September and October, they need guys who will bring the goods after 16 weeks of NFL football.

Give me all three of them with Abraham and Freeney signing cheaper, incentive-laden contracts. If Wilson doesn't sign, start targeting Elam/Swearinger in the draft.

Swearinger would be fun to see in a Pats uniform, dude just decapitates people.

On the FA front, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats take a look at Kerry Rhodes.

Pats' version of the Giants' NASCAR front. I like it.
It's so obvious that's what they are going for. They tried it last year moving Cunningham inside. But Cunningham just isn't that good, unfortunately.

Why don't they bring in Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, too?

This is ridiculous.

How many washed up ex-superstars are we going to get all wet about on this messageboard? Did we learn nothing at all from the Albert friggin' Haynesworth, Fred Taylor, Chad Ochocinco, Sammy Morris, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, Shawn Springs, etc, etc, experiences?

The Patriots need to focus on the value guys in their mid 20s - and there are a load of them on the board, especially on defense. The upgrade to a 27-year-old Danny Amendola from the 32-year-old Wes Welker is by design, not some personal vendetta.

NFL football takes a terrible toll on the brains and bodies of these players. If you think you're going to get the quality, strength and speed of Freeney, Abraham, Reed etc of their mid 20s - forget it. And more to the point, if you think these guys will still be on the field in January when it matters most, forget that too.

The Patriots do not need guys to look good in September and October, they need guys who will bring the goods after 16 weeks of NFL football.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. We have several young DL/DE guys drafted especially from last year's draft. And I'm sure at least one more will be added in this year's draft. These are vet guys who will come in on the cheap and compete with the young guys. If the young guys are not ready then we have insurance in the form of vets. If the young guys are ready i.e. Bequette and Francis (*Cunningham) then one or more of the vets are expendable.

These guys are typical BB signings. Are you forgetting the Hamilton's and Phifer's of years past? Solid veteran rotaional/situational guys that can help the young guys grow into the position.

That would be a great pass rushing front four that, outside of Freeney, wouldn't also get abused against the run either. Put a coverage LB (Fletcher?) out there instead of Spikes and improve the secondary and you have a two minute defense that would be pretty tough to throw against.

I'm going Dime, with Mayo as the LB. Adrian Wilson as S/LB.
One or both blitzes and the pass rush is ferocious.

This looks like a good deterrent for game winning drives from opposing offenses.

And if we could deter those we would have at least 3 more rings (06,07,11)

I'd hold on to see what happens to dumervil.....I would spend extra for him

other then that, whether it's freeney or umenyiora or abraham, I'm not sure any of them will be an improvement over who we already have.......does any of them stand to look better than justin francis? you want to take snaps from him?

Justin Francis is on the bubble of making the team/being inactive in each game/actually seeing the field. There are no snaps to take.

I'm going Dime, with Mayo as the LB. Adrian Wilson as S/LB.
One or both blitzes and the pass rush is ferocious.
THAT's how I see the AWilson pick up. A first down true SS vs the run, and a situational coverage LB working TE's in man coverage or cover 2. He might be slow as a DB, but he's still fast as LB. If he's used in "situations" like this, then this could be a very effective pick up. Beyond that this secondary desperately needs Wilson's kind of experience and leadership.

Adding both Abraham and Freeney would fix the need at pass rush. I don't like the Wilson signing at all but he would help on first down. Add Sanders Talib and Winfield ( getting greedy now) and the re-sign Vollmer, that should pretty much do it for free agency, then go WR and DB in the draft.

That is quite a bit in free agency but they are bright people, they can do it.

Adding both Abraham and Freeney would fix the need at pass rush. I don't like the Wilson signing at all but he would help on first down. Add Sanders Talib and Winfield ( getting greedy now) and the re-sign Vollmer, that should pretty much do it for free agency, then go WR and DB in the draft.

That is quite a bit in free agency but their bright people, they can do it.

Why don't you like wilson?

Pats' version of the Giants' NASCAR front. I like it.

I'm having a hard time sitting down my 29 year old DE who in his first year as a DE had 8 sacks and 5 forced fumbles for 2 guys in their mid 30's and a guy who played 1 season in Canada.

I'm having a hard time sitting down my 29 year old DE who in his first year as a DE had 8 sacks and 5 forced fumbles for 2 guys in their mid 30's and a guy who played 1 season in Canada.

Why would he sit? it's called sub packages.....:bricks:

Well, I had a real hard time watching QBs have all day to throw because he couldn't get anything resembling consistent pressure.

Why don't you like wilson?

The cards had to bench him because his coverage skills have eroded so much. Somehow I dont see that getting better going forward. You can't have safeties can't cover.

I'd rather have too many pass rushers than too few.

Actually, there's no way "too many pass rushers" is even a thing.

The cards had to bench him because his coverage skills have eroded so much. Somehow I dont see that gettirng better going forward. You can't have safeties can't cover.

I remember hearing the same things about Harrison.

Well, I had a real hard time watching QBs have all day to throw because he couldn't get anything resembling consistent pressure.

I agree I just feel that NASCAR front was fad that worked for the Giants in 2011 but not sustainable in the NFL. Rather see them add 1 DE and then add a proven DT that can play inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back