PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those who wanted Pats to select Muhammad Wilkerson rather than trade # 28.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: For those who wanted Pats to select Muhammad Wilkerson rather than trade # 28....

WHAT???
jester.gif

Haynsworth replaces LOVE from last year's roster!

Re: For those who wanted Pats to select Muhammad Wilkerson rather than trade # 28....

He looked pretty good to me on Sunday, better than Ras "Made of glass" Wheatley.

He looked pretty good to me on Sunday, better than Ras "Made of glass" Wheatley.

... how is that a comparison when Ras-I was selected at 33 not 29 so we had no shot at Muhamad with our 33.

Secondly that's not what people were saying when Ras-I has been out there playing.

Thirdly just because Wilkerson is a good player (yet to be seen) doesn't mean Ras-I isn't (yet to be seen as well)

Get some perspective

I don't want perspective, I want another ring for Brady.

The Patriots had the 28th pick, they could have drafted Wilkerson or Heyward but they traded it to New Orleans.

I don't want perspective, I want another ring for Brady.

The Patriots had the 28th pick, they could have drafted Wilkerson or Heyward but they traded it to New Orleans.
Bingo.........I want another ring, of course id want another one after that.

I thought wilkerson played well, i would have rather taken him than dowling. I just don't think Ra "made of glass" Dowling is going stay healthy.

Why don't people think Dowling can stay healthy. Is it his playing style? I just don't get how someone can predict that sort of thing... except for an undersized guy who is just crazy like Bob Sanders or someone with a cronic problem (like a lineman with a back issue)... or someone who has had a bunch of concussions. Does Dowling fit any of those profiles?

Why don't people think Dowling can stay healthy. Is it his playing style? I just don't get how someone can predict that sort of thing... except for an undersized guy who is just crazy like Bob Sanders or someone with a cronic problem (like a lineman with a back issue)... or someone who has had a bunch of concussions. Does Dowling fit any of those profiles?

In my mind Dowling is BB's attempt to catch lightening in a bottle yet again.

The previous year BB took Gronkowski in the second round. A player that missed the entire previous season with a back injury, but if he had been healthy and played, he would have been a sure fire 1st rounder.

Now comes Dowling. I guy that if healthy would have been a sure fire first round 1st round draft pick.

Unfortunately for BB, Gronkowski's injury appears to be a one time deal,while Dowling's appears to be the norm.

If Dowling is a banana and bruises easily,then this gamble did not turn out well for BB, however if Dowling embraces the conditioning program and learns to overcome these strains,sprains and bruises,then maybe we can one day say BB caught draft lightening in a bottle twice.

PS: I think that when you draft #20 or higher every year, you need to take a chance every now and then. So I applaud BB for having the guts to do it.

PSS: I would rather have had Sheard at #33.

PSSS: If you count Vollmer being overdrafted a year after he missed a season due to a major back injury, then you can say BB tried to catch lightening in a bottle three times. However Vollmer was clearly the best zone blocking OT to come out of college that year, so that was more a scheme fit overdrafting, than an injury overdrafting.

Last edited:

I'd rather not have traded our 2009 first rounder to GB and get Clay Matthews...

I'd rather not have traded our 2009 first rounder to GB and get Clay Matthews...

Please make it stop. We probably should of not traded with the 49ers and selected Jerry Rice too?

I could literally give you 10 reasons why he doesn't fit as a Patriot. Yes, 10.

Maybe this would stop if GRONK grew his hair out? :confused:

No one on this board can do anything about the past pass rushers that BB turned his nose up at.

However we can all put our efforts into a campaign to push the media to push BB on why he isn't drafting pass rushers and D Linemen early in the draft.

Someone needs to ask BB if BB sees any link between the worst pass defense in the NFL and the worst pass rush in the NFL. (Hint: We are the answer to both!)

Does BB see any link between not drafting a healthy D lineman in the first or second round in nearly half a decade and the worst defense in the NFL.

BB's defense has been a joke for the past three years and haven't we been without a DC for that long???? (PS: This is NOT a call to bring Mangini back)

Botom line: NFL offenses are constantly evolving. Unfortunately for us BB's response is to draft multiple DB's early in the draft only to cut them a few years later because they can't cover for 10 seconds per play.

You mean the Same Clay Mathews who has fewer tackles and FEWER sacks than Rob Ninkovich. The shine is starting wear off THAT juice doll.

No one on this board can do anything about the past pass rushers that BB turned his nose up at.

However we can all put our efforts into a campaign to push the media to push BB on why he isn't drafting pass rushers and D Linemen early in the draft.

Someone needs to ask BB if BB sees any link between the worst pass defense in the NFL and the worst pass rush in the NFL. (Hint: We are the answer to both!)

Does BB see any link between not drafting a healthy D lineman in the first or second round in nearly half a decade and the worst defense in the NFL.

BB's defense has been a joke for the past three years and haven't we been without a DC for that long???? (PS: This is NOT a call to bring Mangini back)

Botom line: NFL offenses are constantly evolving. Unfortunately for us BB's response is to draft multiple DB's early in the draft only to cut them a few years later because they can't cover for 10 seconds per play.

Ahahahahahahahaha!

Ahahahahahahahaha!

I know but it is worth a shot.

PS: I once asked Mayock at a senior bowl why BB passes on drafting OLB's. He didn;t answer, he just said he was scared poopless of BB and BP.

PSS: I still think that with all the blood in the water over the Sox collaspe and how the media is still stirrring the pot, that some daring med-idiots would step forweard and take a shot at BB and make a connection between the league's worst defense and his utter lack of drafting pass rushers.

Bill Belichick has answered your question over and over again in almost exactly the same words each time.

This is very close to what he has repeatedly said: "If I draft a [pass rusher], because I need a [pass rusher], and he does not work out, then I still need a [pass rusher], and I've wasted a draft pick."

It is really not that hard to understand if you think about it. Belichick drafts the players that he has the most confidence in rather than the players that he has less confidence in even if it means not addressing a need.

Even if Belichick has a lot of confidence in a player, the draft is still a very chancy business. Predicting the future is always uncertain, and he wants to maximize the probability of his getting a player who will help the team.

My understanding is that "pass rushers" are notoriously difficult to project, and the failure rate is very high.

His strategy has produced the most wins in the NFL over his tenure with the Patriots.

Last edited:

Bill Belichick has answered your question over and over again in almost exactly the same words each time.

....This is very close to what he has repeatedly said: "If I draft a [pass rusher], because I need a [pass rusher], and he does not work out, then I still need a [pass rusher], and I've wasted a draft pick."

My understanding is that "pass rushers" are notoriously difficult to project, and the failure rate is very high.

His strategy has produced the most wins in the NFL over his tenure with the Patriots.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but this is not sexy and it does not produce great fantasy football stats despite being a proven and effective method of producing a lot of wins......[/snark]

This argument drives me nuts. The only REAL statement w/ regard to drafting Matthews would be with teams that passed on him to select other LB's. Pats took Chung, Brace, Butler and Vollmer. Didn't draft a LB until Tyrone McKenzie in round 3.
BTW, Aaron Curry-type scenarios are absolutely frightening.

4 4 Aaron Curry Seahawks LB Wake Forest
5 5 Mark Sanchez Jets QB USC
6 6 Andre Smith Bengals T Alabama
7 7 Darrius Heyward-Bey Raiders WR Maryland
8 8 Eugene Monroe Jaguars T Virginia
9 9 B.J. Raji Packers DT Boston College
10 10 Michael Crabtree 49ers WR Texas Tech
11 11 Aaron Maybin Bills DE Penn State
12 12 Knowshon Moreno Broncos RB Georgia
13 13 Brian Orakpo Redskins LB Texas
14 14 Malcolm Jenkins Saints DB Ohio State
15 15 Brian Cushing Texans LB USC
16 16 Larry English Chargers LB Northern Illinois
17 17 Josh Freeman Buccaneers QB Kansas State
18 18 Robert Ayers Broncos DE Tennessee
19 19 Jeremy Maclin Eagles WR Missouri
20 20 Brandon Pettigrew Lions TE Oklahoma State
21 21 Alex Mack Browns C California
22 22 Percy Harvin Vikings WR Florida
23 23 Michael Oher Ravens T Mississippi
24 24 Peria Jerry Falcons DT Mississippi
25 25 Vontae Davis Dolphins DB Illinois
26 26 Clay Matthews Packers LB USC

This is very close to what he has repeatedly said: "If I draft a [pass rusher], because I need a [pass rusher], and he does not work out, then I still need a [pass rusher], and I've wasted a draft pick."

It is really not that hard to understand if you think about it. Belichick drafts the players that he has the most confidence in rather than the players that he has less confidence in even if it means not addressing a need.

Even if Belichick has a lot of confidence in a player, the draft is still a very chancy business. Predicting the future is always uncertain, and he wants to maximize the probability of his getting a player who will help the team.

So let me see if I have this straight.

QB's are extremely difficult to project and have a high flame out rate.

So if Miami gets the first pick in the draft, they should pass on Luck because if he does not work out they will still need a QB???????

This makes no sense to me.

When BB speaks his coach speak what I hear is "unless there is a college kid that grades out with a perfect grade, I prefer a veteran at that position."

Our reply to that and the medidiots reply to that should be "The veteran retreads are NOT working for you BB. Your defense has regressed for each of the past three seasons because opposing QB's have all day to pick your overworked secondary to pieces. It is time to draft an OLB/DE high and develop him, even if the kid has to sit a year behind a veteran retread while learning the position."

Wilkerson and Cameron Heyward are coming along. 3-4 DE is a very hard position to play at a high skill level, it's often very over looked by most 3-4 teams. The rate at which these two are playing at already is a pretty good sign I think. It's a position that when you play well nobody hears about you, but hopefully your OLBs are taking you out to dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News