PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those who don't think a "win is a win", a look back at the 03 Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it doesn't 'feel' the same as 03 and 04 - history will show those teams to be among the greatest ever. Its completely unrealistic to measure every single Patriots team that follows them against that kind of standard. Now they're just one a small handful of teams that has a realistic shot at the championship as the final month begins - that seems like a pretty good deal for the fans, even if it doesn't 'feel' the same as a couple of the best NFL teams of all time.

Last edited:
Someone brought up a great point about that 2003 team vs the 2006 team . They were 10-0 vs teams with 10 or more wins that year. (Remember they beat Miami twice, when they were 10-6 and didnt make the playoffs) That is the greatest record ever. By contrast the perfect 72 Dolphin team was only 4-0 vs 10 win or more teams. Ironically there only 2 losses came against a bad Buffalo team the famous 31-0 game, and a loss to the woeful Steve Spurrier Redskins. This 2006 team has struggled with the upper echelon teams.

That team also got better as the season went along, yeah there were some close calls and bad games in there, but those 2 losses happened in Sept. By seasons end they were really clicking, This team doesnt seem to be making that improvement.

The good news is the AFC is not as good as it was in 2003, the elite teams are not as good. Indy was better in 03 than any of the big teams now so were the Broncos. So even though the Pats may be a few steps back from that 03 team, no team has really distinguished themselves.

We watch the Pats every play so we see all the flaws and warts. But remember Indy has been squeaking by bad teams all year and lost to Tenn. San Diego has squeaked by these last few weeks, and would have lost to the Raiders if not for a awfull fumble that was called an illegal forward pass by San Diego. One of the worse ref jobs I have seen this year. If we watched all these teams we would see how flawed they are also.
Once the Pats are in the dance they have as good a chance as any of these teams.

first of all, thanks for the research. but, i think games are close for different reasons. i'm not sure i'd put, for example, the 03 indy and denver wins in the same basket as the sunday's game or even the Bears' game. those were gut wrenching games played, as i recall, at a very high level, something i don't think we can say about the last two games, though you're right about one thing...they're still in the W column.

In the past, the Pats won games by playing solid, albeit conservative football. We almost always won the turnover battle and never made the stupid mistakes. This year, we have not played well at home. I would argue that we have been outplayed in every home game and could have easily lost every won of those games. We are winning, but making way to many mistakes in the process. We can make those mistake against the bad teams and win. We can't against the better teams. That is the fear.

Agreed. I don't think it's fair to compare this team with the 2003/2004 teams. Maybe it's due to having lost a lot of our core players and coaches, but this team doesn't have the same feel to it. I used to feel supremely confident in the Patriots that they would win no matter who the opponent, but I don't feel that same confidence as before. Probably has to do with turnovers, as others have pointed out.

2003: 41 takeaways, 24 giveaways, +17
2004: 36 takeaways, 27 giveaways, +9

2005: 18 takeaways, 24 giveaways, -6
2006: 27 takeaways, 24 giveaways, +3 with 4 games remaining

Last edited:
'03 is a valid comparison, but to me the biggest difference between then and now is playmakers. It doesn't seem the current squad has the same level of playmakers as the '03 team did. It's either that or the lack of big plays (comparitively speaking).

2003 is easily remembered by Troy Brown's 82 yard overtime catch in Miami, Ty Law's 65 yard interception return against the Titans, Brady's last minute touchdown to Givens in Denver, Willie's goal line stand against Edgerrin James, and Bruschi's 5 yard interception for a touchdown on Fiedler and the Phins in the snow. It was easily one of the most memorable seasons ever based on individual plays.

I think you make a great point about perspective, the Patriots played to the level of the competition back then just as they do now. This is a fantastic season.

What about this year...

Maroney's kick return vs. Minnesota as well as his other big returns
Asante's 3 interception game against da bears
Gost's 51 yd field goal at the end of half time vs. da bears
Don Davis goal line tackle against the Bills
Brady's shake on Urlacher against da bears
Kevin Faulks diving catch in the endzone against Cinncinnati? or the Dolphins?
Dillons 3 big TDs last week
Ty Warrens 3 sack quarter and the Sack, Strip, and Fumble recovery play

These plays may not seem as significant as the plays in 2003, but if we win the superbowl like we did in 2003 these play will be magnified and looked at differently.

Agreed. I don't think it's fair to compare this team with the 2003/2004 teams. Maybe it's due to having lost a lot of our core players and coaches, but this team doesn't have the same feel to it. I used to feel supremely confident in the Patriots that they would win no matter who the opponent, but I don't feel that same confidence as before. Probably has to do with turnovers, as others have pointed out.

2003: 41 takeaways, 24 giveaways, +17
2004: 36 takeaways, 27 giveaways, +9

2005: 18 takeaways, 24 giveaways, -6
2006: 27 takeaways, 24 giveaways, +3 with 4 games remaining

Were you really supremely confident in 2003? I can understand 2004. But in 2003 we were coming of a 9-7 season, when people were still questioning whether getting rid of Drew was the right decision. We then started the season with a 31-0 loss to the Bills and then went 2-2 after a loss to the Redskins. Were you really 100% confident that the Pats would beat the Colts in the playoffs? I know I wasn't. I was scared to death of the Colts that year. 2004 was the only season where I expected the Pats do go deep into the playoffs. Well, I did last year as well, but I don't have those expectations this year. This year has a 2003 feel to it in my opinion.

Were you really supremely confident in 2003? I can understand 2004. But in 2003 we were coming of a 9-7 season, when people were still questioning whether getting rid of Drew was the right decision. We then started the season with a 31-0 loss to the Bills and then went 2-2 after a loss to the Redskins. Were you really 100% confident that the Pats would beat the Colts in the playoffs? I know I wasn't. I was scared to death of the Colts that year. 2004 was the only season where I expected the Pats do go deep into the playoffs. Well, I did last year as well, but I don't have those expectations this year. This year has a 2003 feel to it in my opinion.

To be completely, brutally honest with you, here's how it went for me. I was skeptic, nervous, fidgety...until that Week 7 overtime win at Miami. From that point on, I thought the Patriots were going to roll, and I was confident for every game, every single game, from that point on. I wasn't nervous in the @ Indy game until the final drive when the Pats had to stop Edge at the goal line. In the playoffs I had no worries. I do remember though that despite the confidence I had, that a lot of those games were close and probably reduced my life span by 10 years. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST