PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For the McDaniels Haters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Banks lives close to Foxboro and grinds no axe over the Pats. He seems a balanced, pragmatic dude, even when he's on local TV - Four Downs w/ Felger, most often. I don't think he takes "shots" at our home team at all.

Another thread here points out how Brady's stats are actually very good compared to other solid seasons he's had. That same thread does point out that while the overall numbers are fine, TB has stunk it up in a few big games. So it may be a bit of the chicken or the egg type of thing but if Tommy Boy plays just a little better against the Colts and the Jets then we are sitting at 8-1 and calling McDaniels a passable OC at worst.

Now, did TB struggle in the Denver, Indy, and Jets game because Josh was feeding him junk? Could be. But McDaniels didn't hoist that awful INT in the first quarter against the Colts which gave Manning and Co. some game turning juice, nor did Josh look at LoMo standing 8 yds away in the Jets game and then throw the ball to a NY linebacker.

Pleae, don't come back with sarcastic stuff about how we should start Cassell because I think Brady sucks so bad. Actually, I think he's superstar, but he's a made a few very bad decisions that cost his team dearly this year. If he weren't capable of being so damn good then I wouldn't point out these occasional but deadly errors. But there is little doubt that if TB steers the ship like he's able for every game the rest of season we'll go 12-4 at worst. Even 13-3 isn't a daydream.

Last edited:
Brady'sButtBoy said:
Don Banks lives close to Foxboro and grinds no axe over the Pats. He seems a balanced, pragmatic dude, even when he's on local TV - Four Downs w/ Felger, most often. I don't think he takes "shots" at our home team at all.

Another thread here points out how Brady's stats are actually very good compared to other solid seasons he's had. That same thread does point out that while the overall numbers are fine, TB has stunk it up in a few big games. So it may be a bit of the chicken or the egg type of thing but if Tommy Boy plays just a little better against the Colts and the Jets then we are sitting at 8-1 and calling McDaniels a passable OC at worst.

Now, did TB struggle in the Denver, Indy, and Jets game because Josh was feeding him junk? Could be. But McDaniels didn't hoist that awful INT in the first quarter against the Colts which gave Manning and Co. some game turning juice, nor did Josh look at LoMo standing 8 yds away in the Jets game and then throw the ball to a NY linebacker.

Pleae, don't come back with sarcastic stuff about how we should start Cassell because I think Brady sucks so bad. Actually, I think he's superstar, but he's a made a few very bad decisions that cost his team dearly this year. If he weren't capable of being so damn good then I wouldn't point out these occasional but deadly errors. But there is little doubt that if TB steers the ship like he's able for every game the rest of season we'll go 12-4 at worst. Even 13-3 isn't a daydream.
Ok lets get down to it the Pats FO and Ownership did a terrible job this off season plain and simple.

NEM said:
More proof that a 27 year old McDaniels is out of his league.

Mike Martz would have been, and was, my choice.

How do you explain last year when Brady had a career year due to the team being down early in games and no running game?

I'm thinking McDaniels is missing Doug Flutie more than we think and that could be a reason Testaverde was brought in.

Last edited:
BradyisGod said:
The problem? "Belichick's a defensive coach and offensive play-calling just isn't his forte,'' said one league source. "And that shows.''
Whoa. BB has been called 'brilliant' as a DC -- and most here would agree. So to quote BB's dad:

In order to know defense you have to know offense.
---

Does anyone really believe that someone who's spent years devising successful defensive gameplans, wouldn't have a hand in designing an offense that's difficult to gameplan against? Think again...

MoLewisrocks said:
I think he (Charlie) left in part because he knew this time was coming. When the financial component of the system and the expectations of everyone involved including an insatiable fan base would collide in what hopefully will amount to nothing more than an inevitable transition period between runs. He didn't want to survive it - that's a young mans job. He preferred to go out on a high note.

I'm guessing that the only reason that Charlie left is, he wanted to be a HC, preferably in the NFL. But when your alma mater calls, and your alma mater is ND, you answer. And Charlie answered. And that's about it.

Last edited:
I make the pitch that the team is two slightly better Brady performances away from being 8-1 and a reply is that the FO did a "terrible job" in the off-season? Do people even bother to read what they quote?

Looks like you got your prescription filled after all eh Nem? So when do they turn off your electricity?

NEM said:
Speak for yourself. Prove to me that I, and others, cant call a better game. Just because we didnt take up the game at a younger age doesnt mean we dont have the intelligence and the know how to call a better game...how the hell do you know and who the hell are you to make a damned statement like that? You have no frickin way that you can say that I, or anyone else, cant do better...hell, maybe even you can too..but dont go around coming down on others withg a statemnt that you can not back up.

There is no frickin way that you can prove your statement.

You tell him, NEM.

I'm going down to the BSO and take the baton from that Levine guy.

He sucks. He probably thinks Andante is a way to cook Pasta.

Oh oh, it's medication time again. Better take yours too NEM.:D :p

PATSfanDetroit said:
Looks like you got your prescription filled after all eh Nem? So when do they turn off your electricity?

Not soon enough, I fear. ;)

NEM said:
Bullcrap. Too many excuses, excuses, excuses. Too many people, not jut I, are all over McDaniels. Thgere are discussions on radio stations, in the media, and all over the internet.. He is the problem and he is too young, and out of his league for that position, plain and simple. His play calling is the worst in the entire BB era..... GOD awful. If he doesnt get his head out of his ass in Green Bay, he needs to go. GB is pitiful on pass defense, so we can expect Josh to come out trying to force the running game. Any bets?
Credibility is NOT there..if you hadn't spewed your hate for Weiss and all huis calls for years, youmight have some...Crying wolf way too often takes away from the substance...sounds more like typical "I hate the OC whoever it is" talk that has gone on for years and years.
blah, blah, blah...If you knew anything about how the gameplan, it is done by a group NOT one person..don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant. McDaniels might be part of the problem..but what happened last year?? OR was that just lucky?? What about the gameplans against Minnie and Cinci??
Those don't matter??? Very simplistic..I would take a look at field conditions and execution first...

Last edited:
NEM said:
I believe that Vinny was brought in more as a babysitter for McDaniels, and to call some plays, or at the least, add input...than as a backup QB.

This might be Vinny's On the job training for the OC position next season.
I'd agree on that assessment

NEM said:
Speak for yourself. Prove to me that I, and others, cant call a better game. Just because we didnt take up the game at a younger age doesnt mean we dont have the intelligence and the know how to call a better game...how the hell do you know and who the hell are you to make a damned statement like that? You have no frickin way that you can say that I, or anyone else, cant do better...hell, maybe even you can too..but dont go around coming down on others withg a statemnt that you can not back up.

There is no frickin way that you can prove your statement.

Paaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaahhaaaaaa. This has to be in the running for the most ridiculous post of the year. You want proof? Where are you sitting this Sunday? On your big fat ***, thats where. Proof enough.

BradyisGod said:
From Don Banks Week 11 notes...

• Green Bay (4-5) at New England (6-3) -- People close to the Patriots say New England this season has sorely missed former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and his knack for both creative play-calling and making mid-game adjustments. You want to dissect some of Tom Brady's struggles? Look no further than not having Weis on the sideline, and the Patriots' rebuilt receiving corps. There's a belief that Bill Belichick continues to have heavy input in terms of play-calling, often steering offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in the direction he wants to go. The problem? "Belichick's a defensive coach and offensive play-calling just isn't his forte,'' said one league source. "And that shows.''

Discuss...

"people close to team X"...when national writers use this tag it translates to "beat writers of team X." Aka, "Mike Felger, who is close to the Patriots, thinks they sorely lack creative playcalling."

Look, nobody who is either INSIDE (not simply "close to") the organization or who knows the game of football, thinks that playcalling has been a bigger issue than lack of separation in the passing game.

this is ol fashion muckraking. Weis has become mythologized since he was part of the SBs of the past...someone please explain to me how he was a genius. He had a great QB who made great plays and smart adjustments at the line. Weis's trademark was deflating agressive defenses with horizontal passes...guess what, we still throw screens, and time 'em up pretty well too. the difference is the lack of a consistent vertical passing game to compliment the sideways stuff. It's getting better incrementally as the receivers get more experience.

I'm so sick of hearing you guys whine about a lack of creativity in the playcalling...Brady lined up in the freakin slot for crying out loud. Where we've run into trouble is getting too smart, fancy, cute...(i.e. the indefensible red zone playcalls against NYJ).

Weis was no genius folks.

Nobody who has actually watched our games this season can come away thinking we SORELY lack "creativity"...certainly not compared to Weis, who was one of the more vanilla coordinators in the NFL. Sorry, if that spoils your impression of all NE coaches as masters of the universe.

Without a running game, and a banged up O-line, we threw for over 4k last season and could've thrown for another 1k if we'd kept our foot on the pedal. If you couldn't apply the "missing Charlie" headline last season, then let's not pretend new coordinators REGRESS in their SECOND YEARS!

Let's use some logic here. It's been said a thousand times -- our passing system -- unlike most -- is built on RAPPORT as much as timing. This year will be a work in progress...("rebuilding" implies a lost cause which is too extreme).

How far we go comes down to how well these new guys climb the learning curve...they've got a pretty good leader under center to learn from so I continue to believe we have a chance to go all the way.

But anyone who jumped off the bandwagon can stay off.

Keep ranting on talk radio after we lose.

Then wonder why your team feels disrespected.

They'll continue to make you sorry you doubted them.

Last edited:
NEM said:
So, what you are saying, or suggesting, that you know, 100% , that there is not one person in this forum who might be able to do a better job if given the opportunity?
It's not just a virtual certainty, it's an absolute certainty.

NEM said:
So, you are saying that you, personally, know every one of the THOUSANDS of people that are registered in this forum, many of which post here regularly, and you are saying that it is an ABSOLUTE certainty that none of them, absolutely none of them, have the capability of doing a good, or better job than, say McDaniels. That is what you are saying, right?
Yes I am..

I guess Al Harris of the Packers is a no nothing idiot too :

"“You have to tip your hat to them, the coaches and players. Especially their offense. They ran plays designed for us. They ran plays and made us check out some things. I don’t know who calls their plays, but (coach Bill) Belichick is pretty good. Honestly, he’s pretty good.
“There are things they were doing. Not to take anything away from their receivers, I think they’ve got good receivers, but if they just line up against us, they’re not really going to hurt us.”
According to Harris, the Patriots receivers played beyond their skills because of the scheme."

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=168167

Oh well. NEM is what he is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST