PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For At least For 1 Day Tomase Owns Reiss/Solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Good example of how a little bit more detail can paint the same picture in a completely different light:

From Reiss/Solomon 7/31:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...7/31/cornerback_warfield_learning_on_the_job/

"``I didn't think coming in and learning a whole new system was going to be a problem," Warfield said. ``I felt that the only thing that was going to change was going to be the terminology of the defense, how you define certain things."

Warfield said he should have spent more time at Gillette Stadium this offseason with coaches. After receiving a playbook for the first time at the start of training camp, Warfield has been a diligent studier.

``When I get out of here, I go straight to my room and I'm in the playbook," he said. ``I want to learn the system, what I need to do. I want to learn how to make myself a starter with this defense."

From Tomase 7/31:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=150639

"If anything surprised Eric Warfield about joining the Pats, it was the secrecy with which they guard the playbook. Not only did the Pats not let the cornerback see one before minicamp, they then repossessed it until training camp.

“Usually when you come into a program you’re given a small version of the playbook,” Warfield said. “For some reason, they don’t do that up here. I understand that if a playbook is lost, that’s pretty much your season. It gives away your whole defense and offense.”

Warfield admits being lost during minicamp, when he gave up some big plays, “and was pretty sure a lot of people thought I wasn’t going to make the team.”

He feels better now that he’s had some time to learn the plays.

“I’ve taken full advantage of my playbook,” he said."

Reiss/Solomon's piece seems to put the onus on Warfield, where Tomase details that Warfield had no option at getting the playbook any earlier.

Last edited:
Actually I think they complement each other nicely......if you read the entire part of the Solomon/Reiss article. Seems you left out the best part of their piece:

"It was a struggle," the 30-year-old Warfield said yesterday. "You would think a guy coming in with eight years under his belt would have seen every defense. Yet this was totally different. I was a little lost and ended up giving up some big plays in minicamps. At the time, I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought that I wasn't going to make the team."

Clonamery said:
Actually I think they complement each other nicely......if you read the entire part of the Solomon/Reiss article. Seems you left out the best part of their piece:

"It was a struggle," the 30-year-old Warfield said yesterday. "You would think a guy coming in with eight years under his belt would have seen every defense. Yet this was totally different. I was a little lost and ended up giving up some big plays in minicamps. At the time, I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought that I wasn't going to make the team."

Actually, my point centered on the late acquisition of the playbook. The Reiss/Solomon columns makes it seem as if Warfield was late in getting the playbook (just after an admission that he should have hung out more in NE with the coaches), while the Tomase piece specifies that Warfield was not allowed anywhere near the playbook until last Friday and that he would have liked to have been allowed to get at it earlier.

Both are mainly positive portrayals, but the Tomase answers the question as to why Warfield didn't get and study the playbook earlier to prep.

Last edited:
True.

But I got more out how he personally felt about his lack of preparation and people's perception of his performance.

Clonamery said:
True.

But I got more out how he personally felt about his lack of preparation and people's perception of his performance.

I read the Reiss/Solomon piece before reading the Tomase piece. My main reaction to the Reiss/Solomon article was "Why the hell didn't Warfield prepare and learn the playbook ahead of time?"

The Tomase article filled me in to the actual answer.

The 5 W's of Journalism: Who, What, Where, When and Why. Tomase gave me the "Why".

Last edited:
Good post,Smess.

They both told me 'who' the guy is......Hard-working and concientious. It only leaves the ability part in question.

Clonamery said:
They both told me 'who' the guy is......Hard-working and concientious. It only leaves the ability part in question.

But one article told the "why" and it wasn't the one written by Reiss. Wow, you can't even admit when the guy makes a mistake? If that was Borges, you would be all over him. That just proves my point that most of the fans are just as bad as the media in "telling it like it is."

Problem = New Player Not Prepared.

Here's the difference I see in the newspaper articles:

Tomase puts the onus of new players not beign prepared on teh Pats because they don't allow players to keep the playbook after minicamp.

Reiss/Solomon put some of the onus back on the player:

Warfield said he should have spent more time at Gillette Stadium this offseason with coaches.

Had Warfield done what Caldwell did (come to Foxboro to work out with Brady and coaches when he was signed), Warfield wouldn't be playing catch-up right now.

Maybe it's unrealistic of me, but when a team offers you over a half a million dollars to play, and your earning it depends on how well you do, why wouldn't you come to the facilty and do whatever you can to gain an edge?

Anyway, back to the two articles, each focused on something different. I don't see how either one "owns" the other.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
But one article told the "why" and it wasn't the one written by Reiss. Wow, you can't even admit when the guy makes a mistake? If that was Borges, you would be all over him. That just proves my point that most of the fans are just as bad as the media in "telling it like it is."

You are illogical in nearly everyone of your posts.

I happened to like both pieces on Warfield and stated why but also added what I also liked about the SOLOMON/Reiss article....you incompetent son of a (*^%&!?&%!*. I don't disagree that Tomase gave an insightful tidbit about the playbooks. Why are you so dimwitted? I think that by taking on 'Borges' moniker you have become brain-dead but maybe you've always been this way.

I've never really commented publicly here about Borges or YOU up until now so I have NO idea what the heck you are raving about.

But thanks for being so entertaining.

Hey folks, I had no intention of this causing personal hissy fits. Let's try to keep the personal bomb throwing to the political forum.

Shmessy: I think that critiquing the media around here is equivalent to opening one of the seven gates of Hell! :eek:

shmessy said:
I read the Reiss/Solomon piece before reading the Tomase piece. My main reaction to the Reiss/Solomon article was "Why the hell didn't Warfield prepare and learn the playbook ahead of time?"

For what it's worth, same here.

A moment to be glad that this is still a two-newspaper town...an increasing rarity nowadays.

Actually like space said I think Tomase putting it back on the team is not the why. The why is as a player cut by KC who says he's determined to show he can be a starter here it was incumbant upon Warfield to do whatever it took to stay in touch with his playbook. He didn't. He appears to have learned that lesson the hard way, as so many do, and he is now working OT to make up for it. Hopefully it's not too late.

I got that from the Reiss/Solomon piece alone.

Last edited:
shmessy said:

The 5 W's of Journalism: Who, What, Where, When and Why. Tomase gave me the "Why".

Actually you need to look at them in conjuction to get the why.

The first part is that he could not do the studying away from the facilities because they refused to let him take the book with him.

The second is that he did not study at the facilities because he did not show up.

Shows really how both sides can slant things a to their own coloring. In the end, both articles makes it sound like he has learned that no matter how long you have been in the league, you are not prepared for the BB playbook.

I have an entirely different slant.
Sure, Warfield was foolish to shun his new workplace during the offseason.

But how could the front office not have come to a complete understanding with him ...
as a pre-condition of employment ...
that he works out and studies at Gillette
from that day forward ?

This one seems to fall on Scott P.

flutie2phelan said:
I have an entirely different slant.
Sure, Warfield was foolish to shun his new workplace during the offseason.

But how could the front office not have come to a complete understanding with him ...
as a pre-condition of employment ...
that he works out and studies at Gillette
from that day forward ?

This one seems to fall on Scott P.

You can tell them what you'd like them to do but you can't impose it as a pre-condition. The off season program is voluntary. Some players receive substantial bonus money tied to their participation in the program. All coaches would prefer to see 100% attendance, but players resist.

Interesting points of view on all this. This seems to be a "Chicken or the Egg" kind of thing, but I can definitely see both sides of this argument.

This subject alone could make an excellent chapter for James Lavin's next volume III.

Last edited:
Maybe we are gaining some insight into why Warfield has never been a great player, IMO. This guy is the definition of a B-level signing, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back