PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For anybody who watched the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
was brady there at all? Welker?

According to all the pre-game news, ALL the Pats players on the 75 man roster were present and dressed. In fact, it was pointed out that Welker and Brady were playing catch prior to the game.

However, NONE of the starters played in the game. BB threw the 2nd team to the wolves to see how they would react. And, for the 1st quarter + they were shell-shocked....

That being said:
1) Brian Hoyer - After 2 really bad series, he started clicking.. In fact, he ended up doing extremely well against the Giants 1st and 2nd teams.

2) The O-line: After 2 really bad series, they finally got their act together for pass protection, at least. Their run blocking against the Giant's top line left a lot to be desired. But they clearly over-matched the Giants 2nd and 3rd stringers.

3) BJGE: Had 18 carries for 48 yards against the Giants top defense. Once the Top defense was starting to filter out, then he lit it up with 11 runs for 81 yards, including a 32 yard scamper.

4) Jamar Love and Roderick Rogers were torched time and again last night.

5) Chung: If this doesn't humble the kid, nothing will.. Play with tenacity and prowess. Show some emotion when you make a great play. Every other time, though, get back to the huddle and get ready for the next play. That is how you should conduct yourself. The way Bruschi did.

According to all the pre-game news, ALL the Pats players on the 75 man roster were present and dressed. In fact, it was pointed out that Welker and Brady were playing catch prior to the game.

However, NONE of the starters played in the game. BB threw the 2nd team to the wolves to see how they would react. And, for the 1st quarter + they were shell-shocked....

That being said:
1) Brian Hoyer - After 2 really bad series, he started clicking.. In fact, he ended up doing extremely well against the Giants 1st and 2nd teams.

2) The O-line: After 2 really bad series, they finally got their act together for pass protection, at least. Their run blocking against the Giant's top line left a lot to be desired. But they clearly over-matched the Giants 2nd and 3rd stringers.

3) BJGE: Had 18 carries for 48 yards against the Giants top defense. Once the Top defense was starting to filter out, then he lit it up with 11 runs for 81 yards, including a 32 yard scamper.

4) Jamar Love and Roderick Rogers were torched time and again last night.

5) Chung: If this doesn't humble the kid, nothing will.. Play with tenacity and prowess. Show some emotion when you make a great play. Every other time, though, get back to the huddle and get ready for the next play. That is how you should conduct yourself. The way Bruschi did.

Good to see they were all there. Maybe Welker wont miss week 1 after all. BJGE should make the team.

BB was just making Chung face his demons. It's the weakest part of his game and it's good to get game reps (that don't count) as a way to give you valuable experience (and tape) from which to improve on. BB would not be leaving Chung on an island covering the slot 1on1 in a game that mattered.

Part of the process, lets not create the "Chung sucks in coverage" chorus quite yet. We knew that. It was his listed weakness prior to the draft.

:yeahthat:

What he said...

was brady there at all? Welker?

There was a great shot of Brady emptying a package of sunflower seeds into a paper cup, then sitting on the bench and chewing and spitting. Looked like a baseball player.. :)

All of the starters were dressed and many of them were taking an interest in the game too. On some of the sideline shots, you could see Moss, Brady, Light and some others talking to the younger players when they came off, giving them advice, etc. There was a LOT of peer-to-peer counseling going on, and that was great to see.

Good to see they were all there. Maybe Welker wont miss week 1 after all. BJGE should make the team.

People said all last season that Gutierrez should make the team over Cassel. I wasn't one of those people. I weighted a lot of different things and I just didn't feel that Gutierrez has shown enough against the 2nd stringers to warrant being kept over Cassel.. and we all know how that ended up.

BJGE has been good, this pre-seson, against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. However, up until last night, he'd not faced top competition. He did so and didn't do well. I will add the caveat that he did have the Pats 2nd string O-line blocking in front of him while they were facing the Giants top defense. But 18 carries for 48 yards isn't something to be wowed over.

I look at BJGE and I see the likes of Marcus Mason, Ryan Torain, etc, etc. Guys who are good in pre-season, but just don't make the team for a variety of reasons. BJGE could make the team over Morris, but I think Morris brings more as a blocker than BJGE does. The question is whether or not Morris is going to be healthy at some point. The Patriots could also decide to release Morris with an injury settlement, keep BJGE, and then, when Morris is healthy, bring him back and release BJGE.. or just keep Morris on the shadow roster, assuming he doesn't get signed by someone else, like the Jets.

If BJGE makes the team, great. If he doesn't, I won't celebrate because he's a good kid and I wish him success.

Vollmer displayed very good technique and game awareness.

On the one hold, it was a smart play. The QB was flushed from the pocket and rolled left. Where Vollmer had contained the rusher now created a direct lane to the QB. Rather than let his QB get killed and take a large loss, Vollmer held the defender and took the penalty.

People said all last season that Gutierrez should make the team over Cassel. I wasn't one of those people. I weighted a lot of different things and I just didn't feel that Gutierrez has shown enough against the 2nd stringers to warrant being kept over Cassel.. and we all know how that ended up.

BJGE has been good, this pre-seson, against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. However, up until last night, he'd not faced top competition. He did so and didn't do well. I will add the caveat that he did have the Pats 2nd string O-line blocking in front of him while they were facing the Giants top defense. But 18 carries for 48 yards isn't something to be wowed over.

I look at BJGE and I see the likes of Marcus Mason, Ryan Torain, etc, etc. Guys who are good in pre-season, but just don't make the team for a variety of reasons. BJGE could make the team over Morris, but I think Morris brings more as a blocker than BJGE does. The question is whether or not Morris is going to be healthy at some point. The Patriots could also decide to release Morris with an injury settlement, keep BJGE, and then, when Morris is healthy, bring him back and release BJGE.. or just keep Morris on the shadow roster, assuming he doesn't get signed by someone else, like the Jets.

If BJGE makes the team, great. If he doesn't, I won't celebrate because he's a good kid and I wish him success.

He'll make somoenes team I'm guessing. Good for him though.

did pryor play ?

I could not agree more with this post.

To anyone who noticed, how did NYGs Will Beatty, Adam Koets, Jonathan Goff, Clint Sintim, Michael Johnson & Terrell Thomas look?

So frustrating coming on here and other forums and reading stupid one line comments like "oh he sucked" at least there are a few people that understand what is actually going on and why things happening... example:

Chung will be fine in a regular game with the proper people filling their roles which will allow Chung to be a hard hitting saftey. He got blown away by starting QB/WR playing a position that showcases his weakness. Big deal. He's still a rookie.

Dude. He sucked. It happens. He'll have better days in the future.

BB was just making Chung face his demons. It's the weakest part of his game and it's good to get game reps (that don't count) as a way to give you valuable experience (and tape) from which to improve on. BB would not be leaving Chung on an island covering the slot 1on1 in a game that mattered.

Part of the process, lets not create the "Chung sucks in coverage" chorus quite yet. We knew that. It was his listed weakness prior to the draft.

As a resident of the State of Oregon and a Ducks fan, I saw first hand that Chung is not great in man-to-man coverage. He was great with zone responsibilities though. Since the Pats are primarily a man coverage team, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

To anyone who noticed, how did NYGs Will Beatty, Adam Koets, Jonathan Goff, Clint Sintim, Michael Johnson & Terrell Thomas look?

There was a precious moment where BJGE gave Sintim a piggy-back ride into the endzone en route to a TD. Those loveable young-un's.

Dude. He sucked. It happens. He'll have better days in the future.

Hahaha, yup. I don't see any point in being less blunt about it: Chung sucked last night. Does that mean that he sucks as a player? Nope. Can be pretty much positive that it was by design- the question is why? My guess would be that Belichick has this kid pegged as someone who will react positively to it. Chung's comments after the game summed it up pretty well: he just repeated several times that he has a long way to go and a lot of work to put in. It's true, and everything that we've seen from him suggests that he'll put in all the work that he needs to and more.

He'll be fine, and I'm not worried at all in the long (or even intermediate) term, but saying that he sucked last night it just a blunt and correct assessment.

How did these following players look...

Vollmer, Chung, Brace, Butler if he played....

Vollmer looked HUGE and a little slow with latteral movement but pretty good for a rookie. Wish he would have held his man more towards the line because blitzers were exploting the hole created between the line and Volmer.

Chung was out of position. He's a safety. he's used to playing center field and trying to make a corpse everytime he hits now moving with fluid hips and turning with the receiver.

Brace looked pretty good for as rookie. I would not be afraid of starting him.

Butler wasn't visable. A lot of balls were thrown Chung's way

Last edited:
Chung looked like crap. But he was also surrounded by crap (Love, Rogers, etc.,.). So it's not like he was the weak link in the chain. Basically, the run D was pretty good, even though it was Pats' backups going against Giants' first-stringers. But whenever the Giants threw the ball in the first half, it looked like pitch-and-catch.

The only one I noticed was Chung, and it was for the wrong reasons. As I recall (and don't kill me if I remember wrong - I was doing work while trying to watch the game) he got toasted on the first two (very quick) TD receptions and at least one other long completion where he got turned around and the receiver put a move on him. I also thought they were intentionally throwing at his guy most of the night because that is where they were having great success.

Vollmer looked HUGE and a little slow with latteral movement but pretty good for a rookie. Wish he would have held his man more towards the line because blitzers were exploting the hole created between the line and Vollmer.

When I watchd Vollmer, the rushers tended to try to race out wide to rush the passer. It's his job to counter this, and that requires that he move outside and back a bit. It's just the way a tackle has to play it when there's not help from a tight end.

It could be that BB was trying to humble Chung a bit, I've read about Ching busting Wilfork's chops about not being as fast as he is, maybe that attitude was carrying into other things. Putting someone in a position where their talents don't fit a situation can be useful to bring them back to earth.

Vollmer displayed very good technique and game awareness.

On the one hold, it was a smart play. The QB was flushed from the pocket and rolled left. Where Vollmer had contained the rusher now created a direct lane to the QB. Rather than let his QB get killed and take a large loss, Vollmer held the defender and took the penalty.

Was it just me, or did I see him going against Osi Umenyiora as well (and doing a pretty good job on him I might add)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News