PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football 101: Special Teams - Kickoffs (Updated with Tackling Stats: Pats led league in FF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Taking a look at a couple of Patriots kickoff formations.

I chose to pick a few kickoff from the Patriots vs Texans games in week 3 because it had kickoffs that resulted in turnovers, typical returns and touchbacks. Thought we could see how the Patriots handled each.

Basic Special Teams concepts: Coach Chuckman (Interesting stuff)

Patriots vs Texans: Opening kickoff - No Return:

Black
= general path used for containment.
Blue = The path the ball was kicked. (Except first screenshot.)
Red = The path a player responsible for the tackle or forced fumble.

1. This was the opening kickoff and seemed to be purposely kicked to the back of the endzone.

2. Notice the Texan player (Corey More) at the top of their formation basically launching himself to take out one of the Patriots. He misses.

Screenshot:
I've tried to plot how the Patriots maintained containment.
upload_2017-5-5_9-47-3.png

Video:
Kick off No Return:

Patriots vs Texans: Kickoff - Forced Fumble

Screenshot;

1. Notice the players are lined up differently than in the opening kickoff. IOW Slater, Ebner et al do not line up in the same position each kickoff. I believe that's for matchup purposes.

2. The Texans lined exactly the same way and used the same blocking scheme during the first two kickoffs.

3. Watch the path Brandon Bolden takes during the kickoff. He splits two defenders and forces the fumble. Good stuff.

4. Texan's Corey More launches himself again during this kickoff. Is that legal? It looks like he left his feet.

upload_2017-5-5_10-26-27.png

Video:

Patriots vs Texans: Kickoff with return:

1. The Patriots not only shift where their players line up they also split their left side coverage into two groups. Notice the gap between 36 and 81.

2. 51 Mingo ends up making the tackle.

3. The Texans used the same formation but with a different blocking scheme. They also replaced the kick returner who fumbled during the previous kickoff.

Screenshot:
upload_2017-5-5_11-18-20.png

Video:

After going through more kickoff footage I realized I had missed one major key element. Tackling.

I wanted to add a few Tackling related stats.

Special Teams Forced Fumbles. Patriots led the league in forced fumble recoveries.

NFL Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - Special Teams Fumble Recoveries

upload_2017-5-6_8-21-29.png

Special Teams Tackles:
Nate Ebner led the league in Special Team Tackles.

upload_2017-5-6_8-24-28.png

Tackling Skills Matter:

Nate Ebner gets his helmet on the ball and forces a fumble.
upload_2017-5-6_8-34-29.png

Branden Bolden "Punches" the at the ball and forces a fumble.
upload_2017-5-6_8-42-17.png

Ok there you have it. Any thoughts, corrections or criticisms are appreciated.

@Ian - please let me know if this is within the guidelines. Thanks

Edited to clean up the thread's layout.
Edited May 6 to add Special Teams Forced Fumble chart.

Last edited:
Question: In the second screenshot and video the Texan's player Corey Moore (circled in black) launches himself at Ebner. Is that legal?

Great work, looks really good. Easy to view.

When you said Texans kept same formation, did you notice if all the same players too (except 4 fumbler)?

Great work, looks really good. Easy to view.

When you said Texans kept same formation, did you notice if all the same players too (except 4 fumbler)?

Yes. Same players.

After the fumble they replaced two players. The guy who fumbled and a guy on the front six (lined up on the 50)

Question: In the second screenshot and video the Texan's player Corey Moore (circled in black) launches himself at Ebner. Is that legal?

I can not find anything specific that makes it illegal unless the patriots was doing something that made himself considered defenseless (ex: running away from play). See rules yourself. Only unnecessary roughness seems to apply.
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

But the bolded note gives substantial leeway to the ref. I would think it should have been at least warned by the ref.

UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS

Article 8 There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to: . ..

(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player
(1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and
(2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body.

Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.

Note: If in doubt about a roughness call or potentially dangerous tactics, the covering official(s) should always call unnecessary roughness.

Love the thread idea, but I'm looking for further breakdown of that terrible onside kick in the SB. Gost should have been fined for that ridiculousness. Disgusting.:p LOL

I can not find anything specific that makes it illegal unless the patriots was doing something that made himself considered defenseless (ex: running away from play). See rules yourself. Only unnecessary roughness seems to apply.
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

But the bolded note gives substantial leeway to the ref. I would think it should have been at least warned by the ref.

Thanks Gumby. Initially I thought he left his feet prior to the contact but after watching it a few more times he launches himself at the point of contact. He's definitely looking to get a big hit. I'm curious as to why he would do that to begin with because the result in both instances was that the Patriots had a one man advantage to attack the ball with. After he launches himself he's basically 10 yards behind the play.

Just found something interesting that I will have to add to the OP.

The New England Patriots led the league in Special Teams Forced Fumbles.

upload_2017-5-6_8-13-54.png

Have to add Tackling which is a major key element I missed in the original post.

Special Teams Tackles: Nate Ebner led the league in Special Team Tackles.
upload_2017-5-6_8-50-11.png

Tackling Skills Matter:

Nate Ebner gets his helmet on the ball and forces a fumble.
upload_2017-5-6_8-50-44.png

Branden Bolden "Punches" the at the ball and forces a fumble.
upload_2017-5-6_8-51-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe