Flutie Announcement Today at Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Noone Eastern, according to Reiss.

"The Patriots have scheduled a press conference on Monday (noon ET) with quarterback Doug Flutie at Gillette Stadium. It is assumed that Flutie will announce his plans on whether to play another season, or retire and enter a career in broadcasting.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick are expected to be present for what the team is calling an "important announcement."

Personally I hope he retires and we move on with younger guys but I may regret that in October if the unthinkable happens.

BelichickFan said:
Noone Eastern, according to Reiss.

"The Patriots have scheduled a press conference on Monday (noon ET) with quarterback Doug Flutie at Gillette Stadium. It is assumed that Flutie will announce his plans on whether to play another season, or retire and enter a career in broadcasting.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick are expected to be present for what the team is calling an "important announcement."

Personally I hope he retires and we move on with younger guys but I may regret that in October if the unthinkable happens.

Flutie's been like a mini-Favre throughout this thing. When he said he's been weighing options with several other football teams, I had a hard time believing him. He's either going to stay with the Pats one more year or go into broadcasting.

Tunescribe said:
Flutie's been like a mini-Favre throughout this thing. When he said he's been weighing options with several other football teams, I had a hard time believing him. He's either going to stay with the Pats one more year or go into broadcasting.

My bet is Retirement!!! Do you think that they'd call a PC if he was coming back? I'd guess no, they'd just put out a press release. This is Flutie's moment to thank all of his NE fan base for all their support through the years.....and now he'll be the color man working with Gino!!!:eek:

Tunescribe said:

I agree there is too much drama for Little Dougy, he needs to understand his place in the universe....he is a qb who has had a long and distinguished career.

Does anybody else think that Flutie will take a media job with the Patriots? I am thinking as an eventual replacement for Gino Cappaletti in the Radio booth? Gino is getting up there in age and has been slipping a bit in his color commentary. Bring Flutie in as a third man in the booth and allow Gino to gracefully retire.

Mark Morse said:
Does anybody else think that Flutie will take a media job with the Patriots? I am thinking as an eventual replacement for Gino Cappaletti in the Radio booth? Gino is getting up there in age and has been slipping a bit in his color commentary. Bring Flutie in as a third man in the booth and allow Gino to gracefully retire.

Creative thought!!! Like your thinking!!!;)

I agree...retirement....but like Favre??? No...not like that at all. I don't think he's been stuck in Natick demanding press.... I agree, it's a bit overblown but comparing it to Favre?? Last time I looked, Flutie wasn't the starting QB..and NOT someone that the the planets spin around on. The whole Favre deal is in another universe!! Yes. he's had a great career and move on!! Maybe a 3rd and eventual color guy??? I'd go with that..a fan favorite and someone who is knowledgeable about it all!! I'd go with that..but I think he may be looking more national. He HAS had a great career in football!! But..it's something less of a surprise!! I mean, he's how old?? How many play football at that age?? (non-kickers??) Have your day today in the sun..and retire as a Patriot!!

Tunescribe said:

Absolutly, the entire team has been held in a limbo over this. Three giant questions have to be answered and Doug needed to have tolded them months ago so that would know what to do.

Who is going to take the kneel downs for Brady?

Who is going to be the designated Drop Kicker?

Who is going to bring the Breakfast Ceral to the meetings?

Finally these criticly important questions can now be addressed.

My insider at the Razor has let it slip.... Flutie will announce that he will take over as lead singer for the band, Mini Kiss.

If Flutie hangs them up, I commend him on a fantastic career. He was the best college QB I ever saw.

Supposedly RETIREMENT!! And also as a color analyst ABC for college games!!
Go for it!!! Makes much sense.... I will always remember the Hail Mary pass as one of the biggest plays in college football!!
EEI will be covering the pc live...so everyone can hear!!

my guess is he retires but in someway stays associated with PATs
organization. Maybe QB Coach?

It's funny they're making such a big deal about it. I assumed before the beginning of the '05 season it was his last. And let's face it the NFL isn't going to throw him a Lombardi retirement gift like they did for Bettis.

Tunescribe said:

Exactly! What a Drama Queen. A mini-Favre- literally and figuratively. I wish the mullet midget would just go away gracefully. God forbid. What an attention hoe.

Mark Morse said:

Yup -that's exactly what's going to happen. He could even be a field reporter for awhile.

You don't have press conferences with senior team officials to announce you are returning. The Pats are a class organization, but they wouldn't go to this length if they didn't have a role for him in mind.

Perfect way for Flutie to "go out" - especially with the drop kick as one of his last plays.

Flutie will retire, he locker is already given to the rookie place kicker.

He isn't having a press conference to announce he is staying with the team. :p

If it's retirement that's too bad. It would appear both BB and TB were hoping he would stick around for one more season, and it's generally best to want what they want because they know what they need vs. what's available. And while wouldn't be a devastating loss it still is a loss since they would now have to find someone to fill the slot that doesn't really matter until you need it with a season on the line. And as a few teams found out last season by then it's too late. He was also a great mentor for the young QB's and WR's on the roster and willing to assume that role. Few guys you bring in now will care less about developing anything beyond their own self interest.

The readily available options are less than heartwarming. Fiedler is the best of the underwhelming remaining options and he is not healthy enough to throw yet and he doesn't know the system and if and when he can throw in June the Giants have already been talking to him about their #2 job.

It's all well and good as fans to call for an upgrade. It's just that there really isn't a viable one readily available.

WEEI is reporting via Butch Sterns and Fox 25 that Flutie has a deal to do college football for ABC and ESPN next year.

I really wish we'd hire a QB coach, but who am I to question Belichick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dont want lord fluite near the pats play by play booth, just wonder why he has to have this huge press confrence with Kraft and Belichick, if he is going to work for ABC??

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes