PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: Hail Mary to beat Rams in 1986 (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MNF kept showing a bunch of Bengals watching the game at one of their houses (Boomer's?) since a Pats loss gave the division to NY and a wildcard spot to Cincy and the Pats would have missed out entirely on the Cincy tiebreaker (31-7 loss two weeks earlier). After several surprisingly successful running plays in a row, Grogan play-actions and throws deep down the right sideline to Stanley Morgan for a ~30yd TD and the AFC East was theirs. When MNF cut back to the Bengals party, nothing but stunned silence. Awesome.

Regards,
Chris

I remember the stunned look on Chris Collinsworth's face. The Bengals went from hi-fives to silent stares. Great memory!

I was at this game. The play happened right down in the corner of the stadium where we were sitting. Some fan got pissed at me celebrating and threw a cup of beer at me.

That was the second HUGE game I saw at Anaheim Stadium within a month back then. Earlier, I was there for Game 5 of the ALCS, the Dave Henderson game, and you know how that turned out. My wife and I had just begun dating back then, and she went with me to both games. She is from here in California and had no knowledge of Boston fans and how they approach games like these. She was disgusted at me for both games but married me anyway :)

Bob G

That laughingstock thread kind of ticks me off ItalianPat.

Sometimes I think it's the bandwagon fans that don't know any Patriots history before 2001 that are the laughingstocks.:mad:

Oh well, everyone loves a winner.:rolleyes:

true and i love when you 'refresh' the memories

That was the second HUGE game I saw at Anaheim Stadium within a month back then. Earlier, I was there for Game 5 of the ALCS, the Dave Henderson game, and you know how that turned out.
Bob G

IIRC, Jets @ Pats was airing at the same time as ALCS game 5. My brother and I were watching both games at a friend's house. Things were looking grim for the Sox, so we switched to the football game. NE was driving for a late, tying TD when somebody, somehow, committed a TO. One of our friends was so pissed that he threw the remote at the TV and broke it (the remote only, fortunately). We then all went outside and played basketball. One of their sisters later yelled out the window that the Sox had tied the game in the 9th inning, so we all scrambled back inside the house to watch the rest of it.

Funny how some things are remembered as if they happened yesterday, yet other things are not remembered at all.

true and i love when you 'refresh' the memories

I dropped a few bombs in that thread about the great tradition we had between Parcells and Belichick. You might get a chuckle out of it.

What I remember most about that play was I had a bet with another kid in school.

I was actually walking up the basement stairs when that play happened, and the phone started ringing.

My basement stairs had a wall with an opening into the basement livingroom so I could see the tv.

The phone started ringing and I though it was my friend calling so I told my dad not to answer it.

As soon as Fryar caught it the phone stopped ringing.

That brought back a nice memory! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe