PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five Things To Look For: Patriots vs. Jets

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Five Things To Look For: Patriots vs. Jets
By: Russ Goldman

After a whirlwind of cuts around the NFL, team rosters are finally set. Well, for now anyways. Looking at the team now, there are a few questions facing the team right of the bat. Here are five concerns about the Patriots roster....

good read

my reactions:

1. Can The Patriots cover Jets tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.?

i've been hearing conflicting reports on whether he actually plays or not. the fact that he's forced into the starters role with cumberland out due to the helmet to helmet missile launch from the bucs would put him on the field more than the jets intended. if he doesn't play or gets hurt in the process of the game, the Jets TE position is toast.

2. Can the Patriots get pressure on the Jets quarterback?

jets OL was shaky last week ... limits on the run side i will give the bucs front a lot of the credit. also powell has not shown more than being an average at best dependable back, ivory came in with hr potential but showed nothing last week ... so i do not hold problems with the run game against them yet.

now pass protection on the other hand was poor on sunday ... some of that can also be attributed to the rb's who were terrible picking up extra rushers coming in ... but most of that has to fall on the OL ... 5 sacks & many additional hits on Geno ... this is a good time for you guys here as they are still working on not being 5 guys on the OL but rather 5 guys working together as 1.

3. Can Tom Brady get the ball to the tight ends ?

you guys have dominated in this area lately due to the mismatch & skills of having both gronk & hernandez on the field together. without either of them i don't see a huge night here ... but with kyle wilson being our 3rd db & both safeties had up & down performances week 1 there could be reasonable production numbers for them.

4. Can the Patriots offensive line protect Tom Brady?

THIS is what i believe will determine the game. Wilkerson is the jets best player, richardson is looking like a beast, & the 2 NT's are stout swapping in & out. can they get enough pressure up the middle to throw brady a little bit off? will the hurry up offense effectively keep the jets from swapping at NT? can the pats Oline hold up against the various blitz packages rex ryan is sure to bring? If the Jets rookie QB makes more than 2 big mistakes it won't matter ... but if Geno keeps it to 2 or less then Pats OL vs Jets DL will be the decider.

5. Can Julian Edelman be that number one target this week for the Patriots offense?

i would expect modest numbers here if cromartie is covering him ... if the rookie miliner is on him with some help (not always as rex will bring extra coverer in to rush brady for blitz packages) ... then there will be opportunity for edelman here.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back