PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five Reasons why the Patriots beat the New York Jets next Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their special teams is better than ours. Even in the last game, they started out with consistently good field position.

For contrast, consider Albert Breer's 5 part article on how to slay the Patriots 'giant'. Just read this article and thought it made an interesting read. It's going to be a tall order to accomplish all those things and beat the Pats. The thing about football is yes there is a chess game element to it. The strategies and the calls. But when you have the best pieces, that chess game becomes a lot easier to play. It also helps that BB is the master at manipulating those pieces on the football field.

Rex Ryan may not have come to kiss BB's rings, but he will likely end up eating crow for his brash words. Talk about putting more pressure on your team. This is building up to a possible implosion by the Jets. All the pressure is on them now to 'cash the check' that their coach's mouth wrote.

Last edited:
Their special teams is better than ours. Even in the last game, they started out with consistently good field position.

Here is where the Jets drives started up until the score was 31-3 late in the 3rd quarter:

Kickoff NYJ 26 (24 yd return)
Kickoff NYJ 21 (15 yd return)
Kickoff NYJ 33 (16 yd return)
Kickoff NYJ 20 (11 yd return)
Punt NYJ 12 (penalty on return)
Punt NYJ 17 (fair catch)
Kickoff NYJ 32 (29 yd return)

After this the Pats started squib kicking so can't count those. Add in a missed FG and a 26 yd net punting average and I'm not sure you were watching the right game. I actually believe the Jets ST are good and maybe better than the Pats with Gostkowski out. You just can't possibly use the last game to support that contention.

Here is where the Jets drives started up until the score was 31-3 late in the 3rd quarter:

Punt NYJ 17 (fair catch)

After this the Pats started squib kicking so can't count those. Add in a missed FG and a 26 yd net punting average and I'm not sure you were watching the right game. I actually believe the Jets ST are good and maybe better than the Pats with Gostkowski out. You just can't possibly use the last game to support that contention.
i think the pats did a good job but need to repeat to stop cromartie and brad smith in kickoffs. The good think would be if they are kicking off so much would mean mean they are scoring.

Punt NYJ 17 (fair catch)

I was at the game, and noticed that our returners didnt' do well. I bet our return av was about half theirs that game. There is a chance my impression was wrong, biased etc..

As a Charger fan please not only beat them but destroy them. I cannot stand Rex Ryan's big mouth, I cannot stand seeing Sanchez in commercials (like he's been good enough to earn that attention?). I just cannot stand their team and LT has done no favors by trashing the Chargers after we let him go (instead of tagging him and trading him to some terrible team we let him hit the market with no compensation I say that's the classy thing to do IMO). The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and although I am not a fan of the Patriots, I definitely hate the Jets more.

GL!

Last edited:
i think the pats did a good job but need to repeat to stop cromartie and brad smith in kickoffs. The good think would be if they are kicking off so much would mean mean they are scoring.

Cromatie- Meet Kyle Love AKA: The Wedge Buster.

As a Charger fan please not only beat them but destroy them. I cannot stand Rex Ryan's big mouth, I cannot stand seeing Sanchez in commercials (like he's been good enough to earn that attention). I just cannot stand their team and LT has done no favors by me with his trashing the Chargers after we let him go (instead of tagging him and trading him to some terrible team we let him hit the market with no compensation I say that's the classy thing to do IMO). The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and although I am not a fan of the Patriots, I defiantly hate the Jets more.

GL!

LT loves to talk about class, but doesn't know how to live it. I hope we see him doing his sideline sulk by the second quarter that little fidgit.

We need 5 reasons ... I think we only need one ... more committment.

1) Brady's excellence
2) Belichick's attention to detail
3) Sanchez's suckiness particularly with respect to making mistakes i.e. turnovers
4) The offensive versatility of the Patriots- there's not just one or two things for the Jets to focus upon limiting
5) Rex's poor game management and predictable moves based upon a bloated ego

I was at the game, and noticed that our returners didnt' do well. I bet our return av was about half theirs that game. There is a chance my impression was wrong, biased etc..

Takes a few seconds to check out the stats before posting. Your impression was certainly wrong and I'm not sure why your impression would be biased to the Jets doing well in any phases of that game.

Jest fans are unbelievable. They now have actually talked themselves into believing that Rex will fix every mistake and the adjustments will make them win (some think rather easily). Apparently they havent realized the best football mind in the league is making adjustments too.

Patriots didn't show up against the Ravens last season, BB wont let that happen again. That would be the only reason I could see us losing, if they werent mentally in it.

Takes a few seconds to check out the stats before posting. Your impression was certainly wrong and I'm not sure why your impression would be biased to the Jets doing well in any phases of that game.

Do you have the stats for yards per kickoff/punt return for first three quarters? My memory is that theirs were better. I might be wrong, I was only at the game, and have only watched it twice in replay. Can't find the stats. If i"m wrong, I'm wrong.

I heard another gem on NFLN yesterday. The guy was saying if the Jets are down by 17 or more in the first quarter, they're in trouble :eek: Shocking analysis indeed. BUT, if they're not down by that much after one quarter, they're in good shape lol So the only way for us to get an advantage is to hit 2 straight 80 yard bombs right off the bat. They could have at least given us till halftime to build the 17 point lead, jesus :rofl:

The At-Home streak is actually a reason why they might lose since the Patriots are on a home losing streak of 1 game in the playoffs. I dont like it, but those are the numbers.

what the hell happened to Stephen Gostkowski to be out this long, I hope we dont keep games in fieldgoal range

what the hell happened to Stephen Gostkowski to be out this long, I hope we dont keep games in fieldgoal range

i think it had more to do with keeping 2 kickers on the roster several weeks than Gostkowski having a severe leg injury

Do you have the stats for yards per kickoff/punt return for first three quarters? My memory is that theirs were better. I might be wrong, I was only at the game, and have only watched it twice in replay. Can't find the stats. If i"m wrong, I'm wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55007/NE_Gamebook.pdf

Both sides were pretty pedestrian, but the Pats had very few return opportunities to work with.

PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD
J.McKnight 1 18 18.0 0 18 0 J.Edelman 1 13 13.0 0 13 0
S.Holmes 1 8 8.0 0 8 0 [DOWNED] 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
J.Cotchery 0 0 0.0 1 0 0 [OUT OF BOUNDS] 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
Total 2 26 13.0 1 18 0 Total 1 13 13.0 0 13 0
KICKOFF RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD KICKOFF RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD
B.Smith 7 140 20.0 0 29 0 B.Tate 2 42 21.0 0 21 0
J.Conner 1 18 18.0 0 18 0
Total 8 158 19.8 0 29 0 Total 2 42 21.0 0 21 0

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55007/NE_Gamebook.pdf

Both sides were pretty pedestrian, but the Pats had very few return opportunities to work with.

PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD
J.McKnight 1 18 18.0 0 18 0 J.Edelman 1 13 13.0 0 13 0
S.Holmes 1 8 8.0 0 8 0 [DOWNED] 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
J.Cotchery 0 0 0.0 1 0 0 [OUT OF BOUNDS] 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
Total 2 26 13.0 1 18 0 Total 1 13 13.0 0 13 0
KICKOFF RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD KICKOFF RETURNS NO YDS AVG FC LG TD
B.Smith 7 140 20.0 0 29 0 B.Tate 2 42 21.0 0 21 0
J.Conner 1 18 18.0 0 18 0
Total 8 158 19.8 0 29 0 Total 2 42 21.0 0 21 0

Awesome reasource, I guess it is hard to compare given how few times we made returns. I was biased I guess by seeing them make so many returns, some of which were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back