PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First round of Roster Changes (Ends Tuesday at 4pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this going over my head? What were you expecting other than IR?
Waived. With this coach I expect the unexpected

I have to admit that I never thought this was even a consideration.
They could have cut him and saved money by paying him an injury settlement.

They liked him and paid him more to keep him part of the org.

I have to admit that I never thought this was even a consideration.
Well, they did waive 3 picks last year in Halapio, Thomas and Gallon. Derby and Roberts have gotten their red-shirt IR status. We'll see if Wells or ****son can slip past the Turk, but if they get waived someone will probably claim them.

They could have cut him and saved money by paying him an injury settlement.

They liked him and paid him more to keep him part of the org.

In order to pay an injury settlement, the guy needs to be put on IR first. So it still may happen! :)

Roberts clearly was viewed more highly than you average 7th rounder based on him starting PS1. Add in his measurables and tiny contract and the odds of him being waived were never more than 5% with a +/- 5% margin of error. :cool:

Well, they did waive 3 picks last year in Halapio, Thomas and Gallon.

None of which did anywhere near as much as Roberts did (even in his limited time), nor were they injured when waived. Roberts could have been IR'd weeks ago if the team wasn't planning on keeping him around, so I still don't think it was ever a consideration.

Roberts clearly was viewed more highly than you average 7th rounder based on him starting PS1. Add in his measurables and tiny contract and the odds of him being waived was never more than 5% with a +/- 5% margin of error. :cool:

Seems risky to do that to Roberts, right? I kinda thought that putting a player through waivers would expose them to being taken by another team.

In order to pay an injury settlement, the guy needs to be put on IR first. So it still may happen! :)

Roberts clearly was viewed more highly than you average 7th rounder based on him starting PS1. Add in his measurables and tiny contract and the odds of him being waived was never more than 5% with a +/- 5% margin of error. :cool:
Hmmm. Not sure IR designation is required.A player can refuse IR if they want and negoitate a settlement. That happened with Torry Holt when BB gave him a spin a few years back

Patriots 75-man depth charts.

CN2daNHU8AEmC9p.png

CN2daN1VEAAD5w_.png

Seems risky to do that to Roberts, right? I kinda thought that putting a player through waivers would expose them to being taken by another team.

It does until today, which is why the team waited.

FWIW, vested vets don't have to pass through waivers to be put on IR at any point.

He had a 3 yr deal so he was under control.

Hmmm. Not sure IR designation is required.A player can refuse IR if they want and negoitate a settlement. That happened with Torry Holt when BB gave him a spin a few years back

You may be right, but I am certain that being put on IR doesn't preclude you from negotiating an injury settlement. I'm pretty sure the majority of settlements follow that path.

You may be right, but I am certain that being put on IR doesn't preclude you from negotiating an injury settlement. I'm pretty sure the majority of settlements follow that path.
Maybe. I don't think it's a prerequisite though. I'm always wrong...who knows.

Either way they liked Roberts enough to not cut him. He was shutting down people in camp and played ok vs Jordy.

Maybe. I don't think it's a prerequisite though. I'm always wrong...who knows.

Just MCI'd to see what I can find.

http://overthecap.com/what-exactly-are-injury-settlements/

Doesn't explicitly state a mandatory process, but there is this:

Let’s see how this works in practice. An undrafted rookie player gets injured at the end of training camp and is waived with an injury designation, so that a team that claims him knows that they are claiming an injured player. If he goes unclaimed, which is likely, he reverts back to the teams Injured list. From that point the team and player have five days to negotiate the settlement.

Well, they did waive 3 picks last year in Halapio, Thomas and Gallon. Derby and Roberts have gotten their red-shirt IR status. We'll see if Wells or ****son can slip past the Turk, but if they get waived someone will probably claim them
Wells was already traded, right?

Yep. With Roberts i guess its a tad different as he was drafted? Assume b/c he was under contract Pats could IR him and not worry about the waiver claim stuff.

Nope. Anyone, drafted or not, who is not a vested vet is subject to waivers if being IR'd before the 75 cut down. That's why there was never any chance that the team was going to release him; the delay in the designation tipped their hand.

Last edited:
Nope. Anyone, drafted or not, who is not a vested vet is subject to waivers if being IR'd before the 75 cut down. That's why there was never any chance that the team was going to release him; the delay in the designation tipped their hand.
Ahh so it is prior to the cudown to 75 that matters. Got it.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 4h4 hours ago

Joe Vellano has plantar fasciitis and should be healed within the month. Likely to re-sign to P-squad when healthy, per source.

Vellano is one of those guys that I feel comfortable with knowing that he's on the PS, yet not counting towards the 53 man roster. I didn't like the fact that we were forced to use him that much on the field, but I'd prefer an experienced guy like himself over many others, should injury occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News