Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Offense (23)

QB (3): Tom Brady, Doug Flutie, Matt Cassell
FB (2): Heath Evans, Patrick pass
RB (3): Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Draft Pick
OL (8): Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Nick Kazcur, Brandon Gorin, Russ Hochstein, Gene Mruczkowski
WR (5): Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Bethel Johnson, Bam Childress/Draft Pick
TE (2): Ben Watson, Daniel Graham
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Defense (27)

DL (8): Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, Marquise Hill, Dan Klecko, Draft Pick / FA, Draft Pick / FA

LB (9): Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Rosy Colvin, Ryan Claridge, Tully Banta-Cain, Monty Beisel, Larry Izzo, Draft Pick / FA, Draft Pick / FA

DB (10): Asante Samuel, Eric Warfield, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, James Sanders, Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay, Hank Poteat, Artrell Hawkins, Guss Scott
ST (3)

K: Draft Pick / FA
P: Josh Miller
LS: Lonnie Paxton

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Offense (23)

QB (3): Tom Brady, Doug Flutie, Matt Cassell
FB (2): Heath Evans, Patrick pass
RB (3): Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Draft Pick
OL (8): Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Nick Kazcur, Brandon Gorin, Russ Hochstein, Gene Mruczkowski
WR (5): Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Bethel Johnson, Bam Childress/Draft Pick
TE (2): Ben Watson, Daniel Graham
Defense (27)

DL (8): Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, Marquise Hill, Dan Klecko, Draft Pick / FA, Draft Pick / FA

LB (9): Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Rosy Colvin, Ryan Claridge, Tully Banta-Cain, Monty Beisel, Larry Izzo, Draft Pick / FA, Draft Pick / FA

DB (10): Asante Samuel, Eric Warfield, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, James Sanders, Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay, Hank Poteat, Artrell Hawkins, Guss Scott
ST (3)

K: Draft Pick / FA
P: Josh Miller
LS: Lonnie Paxton

ADPF,

The Pats have 6 picks in the first four rounds. Excluding a kicker, in which there is not a pick in this class, this year; you note 2 DL, 2 LB on Defense ands 1 WR and 1 RB on Offense. Well I might quibble but I think you have summarized where the openings are, and the top six picks are enough to cover them.

Of the diagnosed openings only LB, & perhaps WR, might be considered to be immediate starting requirements, with additional possibility of big RB too, but only if Dillon is through. I judge from renegotiation of his contract, to doubt that on both my or BB's part. Next year that will probably be addressed.

My quibbles would be there is probably only a mild need for a single DL at reserve noseguard and Wright/Thomas may have that covered, in fact.

I tend to think that the Patriots have historically carried six startable LBs, an able reserve/ST, and a few allocations to specifically ST players amongst their 9 or 10 man LB corps. I actually think there are three openings in the LB corps, as Izzo and Davis are fading and older. The LB needs are in two categories: one/two OLBs, and one & possibly a second ILB/ST.

I could see:
Rnd 1 OLB,
Rnd 2 RB,
Rnd 3 WR & OLB, and
Rnd 4 QB/ILB/ST & NT.

The balance of the draft BPA, but with emphasis on kickers, & defensive players, LBs, S and CBs.

How many RB did we start with last year ? Was it just Dillon, Faulk and Pass or am I missing someone ? Of course, things changed with injuries.

I'd really like to add a 3rd RB (counting Pass as a FB) as a late day 1/early day 2 developmental draftee. Possibly at the expense of a 6th CB now that our CB should be less injured (just by putting Warfield in for Poole). Although I realize Pass can play a decent RB when called upon.

My gut feeling is Flutie may not be back as we haven't bothered re-signing him yet.

I see a draftee instead of Mruc. Or Wesley Britt in that spot.

Bethel is probably gone. Whenever I see the one highlight a year of him I would like to see him given another year but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him.

We will almost certainly have a 3rd TE the way Watson and Graham get hurt and with Graham being a UFA in 11 months.

Let's move on from Klecko, please.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
With Tebucky Jones seemingly close to coming back, where do we stand here . . .

CB - Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield, Scott
S - Wilson, Harrison, Mitchell, Sanders, Scott, Tebucky, Hawkins

Wow, that's a lot of competition at Safety - of course, Harrison may not be on the 53 man roster to start the season. How many DBs can we realistically keep ? Scott may be competing with Mitchell and Tebucky for a roster spot, it would seem.

Poor Hank! doesn't even make the roster lists.

Realistically, we keep 8-10 defensive backs. I usually look at the defensive roster as 7 DL, 7 LB, 7 DB and the rest special teamers. To me, the norm is four corners and three safeties (the backup ususlly being a Ster). From there, it is all about special teams.

We've kept six safeties before. The key is ST's and whether they can be dime back if one of the corners is injured. Sanders played nickel last year, and Hawkins certainly can be a dime back, as can Tebucky. I don't recall whether Guss can cover. Bottom line is that I don't see us keeping five corners, unless the backups are top Sters.

The top ten of this group would be impressive, but understand that we would then reduce our linebackers to 8-9, which is fine with me.
Colvin,Bruschi,Vrabel,rook/fa,Claridge,Beisel,Davis,Izzo,Banta-Cain/rook

The key is to have depth coming into camp and to have a solid 30 (say 8-10-12) man defense. Injuries and poor play will cull the defensive roster by 4-5 by opening day.

BelichickFan said:
With Tebucky Jones seemingly close to coming back, where do we stand here . . .

CB - Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield, Scott
S - Wilson, Harrison, Mitchell, Sanders, Scott, Tebucky, Hawkins

Wow, that's a lot of competition at Safety - of course, Harrison may not be on the 53 man roster to start the season. How many DBs can we realistically keep ? Scott may be competing with Mitchell and Tebucky for a roster spot, it would seem.

mgteich said:
We've kept six safeties before. The key is ST's and whether they can be dime back if one of the corners is injured. Sanders played nickel last year, and Hawkins certainly can be a dime back, as can Tebucky. I don't recall whether Guss can cover. Bottom line is that I don't see us keeping five corners, unless the backups are top Sters.

The top ten of this group would be impressive, but understand that we would then reduce our linebackers to 8-9, which is fine with me.
Colvin,Bruschi,Vrabel,rook/fa,Claridge,Beisel,Davis,Izzo,Banta-Cain/rook
My gut feeliing, especially if we re-sign Tebucky, is that we'll get more ST from Safeties and the coverage ability of Wilson, Hawkins, Tebucky (I'm talking in a pinch, better than Troy Brown here) plus the better injury history of Warfield would allow us to risk keeping 5 CB and improved speed on ST with DBs vs. LB.

BelichickFan said:
How many RB did we start with last year ? Was it just Dillon, Faulk and Pass or am I missing someone ? Of course, things changed with injuries.

I'd really like to add a 3rd RB (counting Pass as a FB) as a late day 1/early day 2 developmental draftee. Possibly at the expense of a 6th CB now that our CB should be less injured (just by putting Warfield in for Poole). Although I realize Pass can play a decent RB when called upon.

My gut feeling is Flutie may not be back as we haven't bothered re-signing him yet.

I see a draftee instead of Mruc. Or Wesley Britt in that spot.

Bethel is probably gone. Whenever I see the one highlight a year of him I would like to see him given another year but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him.

We will almost certainly have a 3rd TE the way Watson and Graham get hurt and with Graham being a UFA in 11 months.

Let's move on from Klecko, please.

I think we broke camp with Mike Cloud, Dillon, Faulk & Pass...

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Cloud ? Really ? Ick. With all our draft picks we can certainly have a guy better than him on the roster.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

Cloud wasn't signed until mid-season. He started the year with the Giants. The Pats started with 3 RBs (Dillon, Faulk, Pass). Zereoue signed and then was released, Cloud was signed, released, signed, and released. Evans also was signed in late October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft