PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final round cuts (Non-Patriots)

Lions cut rookie UDFA RB/KR Steven Miller. He was on their 53 man bubble and they are likely trying to sneak him onto their PS. The kid is tiny but explosive. Would be a bold move to pick him up and cut Washington but he has tons of potential as a KR and Woodhead-esque RB.

Steven Miller 2012 Highlight - YouTube

and who would we cut at that position to make room for him?

Salas waived by the Eagles, I'd prefer him to a 6th RB.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/373900693171892224
Adding to my previous tweet on NYG DTs, the team has tried to trade Marvin Austin, which could be an indication he's about to be cut.

I really think the Pats should get on this. The trade I proposed was Bolden for Austin, as the Giants just lost their #2 RB for at least a few weeks and possibly more, depending on the severity of his broken leg.

Seahawks have released former Florida DT Jaye Howard (6'1", 301 lbs). A possible fit for that DT spot.

I am actually shocked the Seahawks cut him, in my opinion he should be a top priority he is very, very talented, with outstanding athletic ability.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6030
Weight: 301
40 Yrd Dash: 4.78
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.66
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.32

Greg McElroy would be an excellent signing, imho.

Alex Tanney is the one we want, he has magnificent throwing ability but he's very raw, at thie moment I'd take him as a backup over Mallett.

I hope they look at Jaye Howard.

I don't really get the desire to replace Mallet. I know he doesn't look as good as Brady out there, but that sort of is because Brady is the GOAT and Mallet (best case scenario) would be slightly above average. (And he may not be that, but I'm not sure you could do better in a backup.) Seems smarter to keep that guy that already knows the offense and plays pretty well despite no real game action and leave that spot for something more useful...

I am actually shocked the Seahawks cut him, in my opinion he should be a top priority he is very, very talented, with outstanding athletic ability.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6030
Weight: 301
40 Yrd Dash: 4.78
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.66
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.32

Well, they cut him for a reason...

I don't really get the desire to replace Mallet. I know he doesn't look as good as Brady out there, but that sort of is because Brady is the GOAT and Mallet (best case scenario) would be slightly above average. (And he may not be that, but I'm not sure you could do better in a backup.) Seems smarter to keep that guy that already knows the offense and plays pretty well despite no real game action and leave that spot for something more useful...
This. I really like Austin Davis for the PS though.

Mallett is very inconsistent with his accuracy and doesnt understand the concept of touch.

Salas waived by the Eagles, I'd prefer him to a 6th RB.

Agreed. If the Pats liked him last year, how in the world could they not like him even MORE after how well he played against the Pats. Dump Bolden and sign Salas.

Alex Tanney is the one we want, he has magnificent throwing ability but he's very raw, at thie moment I'd take him as a backup over Mallett.

Seems smarter to keep that guy that already knows the offense and plays pretty well despite no real game action and leave that spot for something more useful...

I think that is an understatement.

No one is going to come in and suddenly pick up the offense in terms of being a capable QB2 this season. There's no sense whatsoever in releasing Mallett at this point. If we bring in another QB it would be for a developmental role only and they'd know absolutely nothing for the 2013 season.

Troubled DT Alameda Ta'amu cut by the Steelers along with former Illinois CB Terry Hawthorne.

I'd be much more interested in Hawthorne than Ta'amu, who as you said has been quite troubled as has had 2 DUI's (including NCAA's).

Considering the fact that they released Ta'amu last season and then brought him back on the PS, I think this points more towards his talent than character issues--just my opinion from living here and hearing about it constantly.

I'd love for the Pats to bring one of Antoine Winfield, Richard Marshall, or Marcus Trufant.

Richard Marshall signed with the Chargers about a week ago, but I'd agree that having a vet CB would be nice.

You could replace Marshall with Sheldon Brown if you choose.

Re Replacing Mallett: "The grass is always greener........" :D

Re Replacing Mallett: "The grass is always greener........" :D

Sometimes the grass actually is greener, that's why teams make changes. I don't understand the point of keeping a guy who can't put the ball where it needs to go, and this has been a consistent theme with Mallett.

Other QBs can learn the system but what good does that knowledge do if you can't do a good job of applying it (throwing)? I don't think Mallett can get us over the hump of a Brady injury so I don't see any negatives with a guy who's way more skilled but less experienced in our system.

I see Mallett as a backup who's really not capable of backing up Brady.

Sometimes the grass actually is greener, that's why teams make changes. I don't understand the point of keeping a guy who can't put the ball where it needs to go, and this has been a consistent theme with Mallett.

Other QBs can learn the system but what good does that knowledge do if you can't do a good job of applying it (throwing)? I don't think Mallett can get us over the hump of a Brady injury so I don't see any negatives with a guy who's way more skilled but less experienced in our system.

I respect your opinion, Snake Eyes. I just don't agree with it.

Mallett is FAR from any of the "2nd round" trade projections, but he has also proven that he knows the system and can lead the team downfield--just not consistent enough as we'd like.

I do think that he could handle the backup role for 3-4 games if it came down to it, with as much dropoff as you'd expect with just about any backup QB from around the NFL.

Bringing another QB in (unless it were on the PS) would be a horrible idea just due to the fact that he'd have absolutely no knowledge at all of our scheme, which is pretty complex. As a matter of fact, Mallett is really the only option to replace Brady, unless you'd possibly want to consider making a trade for Hoyer. Other that those 2, there isn't going to be a journeyman QB who is signed to handle the duties. It just wouldn't happen, and was the primary reason why Cassel was kept on for the entire 2008 season when they knew in game 1 that we had no QB.

If you're speaking of someone developmentally, that would take awhile, and that decision would have to be made with a bigger picture in mind. I have no problem at all with bringing someone on the practice squad or something like that. Hell, I'd even feel good about taking another draft pick next spring since Mallett will probably be gone after next year.

Mallett has been fine. You're completely overestimating what it takes to be a backup QB. Tanney has given two chances to make NFL rosters and has failed. If he were worth bringing in as a backup, he would have already secured a spot as one.

I don't really get the desire to replace Mallet...

It's not hard to figure out, really. He's been lousy, for the most part.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back