Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
should make a decison within 24 hours

R_T26 said:
should make a decison within 24 hours
He'll probably be a Patriot if he's staying in Foxboro for the next 24 hours.

After Poole leaves? Looks like Townsend will be our first FA signing then. Anyone know anything about him really? I remember him on the Steelers, he was ok from as far as I know. Anything more to know?

BionicPatriot said:
After Poole leaves? Looks like Townsend will be our first FA signing then. Anyone know anything about him really? I remember him on the Steelers, he was ok from as far as I know. Anything more to know?
He's a great system CB.

If he's left one on one by himself he will be burned all day but if he's in an assignment then hes a much better player.
Good move he could turn out to be a very good player here.

All I know is a Steeler fan who said he's pretty good and certainly better than Chad Scott was. Certainly nothing to get excited about but with Hobbs, Samuel and Gay we would have decent depth . . . until they all start getting hurt.

When we played the Steelers, the one thing I never worried about was the Steelers CB's.

BionicPatriot said:

Ask and you shall receive!

From FBGratings.com:

Name: Deshea Townsend Number: --
Height: 5-10 Weight: 190
Position: CB
College: Alabama
Born: September 8, 1975 in Batesville, MS
Years Pro: 8
Drafted: Steelers, 1998 - Round 4, pick 25 [117 overall]

desheatownsend.jpg

FBG 2003: 75
FBG 2004: 78
FBG 2005: 88
+/- 04 to 05: +10
FBG 2006: 88

PLAYER NOTES LOG:

Feb 8 2006 - CB Deshea Townsend is an unrestricted free agent expected to leave the Steelers.

Jul 21 2005 - CB Deshea Townsend's job as a starter is probably safe for a while, but he could become a No. 3 man again.

May 27 2005 - CB DeShea Townsend, scheduled to be a free agent next offseason, won't be approached by the Steelers until Hines Ward is either signed to an extension or talks reach a breakdown. "The focus is always going to be on Hines first," said Townsend, who enters his eighth year with the team, the past 1 1/2 as a starter. "That's how it goes. I want to sign a new contract and stay here. I have to go out there and prove myself on the field again, I guess."

Dec 21 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend tied with Buffalo's lawyer Milloy among defensive backs with four sacks.

Dec 15 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend leads all defensive backs with four sacks. He also has four interceptions and leads the Steelers with 14 passes defensed.

Dec 1 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend deserves a place in the Pro Bowl, according to teammate Willie Williams. "He reminds me of Ronde Barber. He's a great corner. He's been consistent all year. Hopefully, he will get a shot at the Pro Bowl." Townsend leads all defensive backs with four sacks and his four interceptions tie him for third in the AFC.

Nov 28 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend's interception in the fourth quarter was his fourth of the season to go with four sacks.

Nov 24 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend is playing at a Pro Bowl level. His four sacks are more than any NFL defensive back and his three interceptions ties him for eighth in the AFC.

Nov 23 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend leads the team with 11 passes defensed and also has four sacks and three interceptions.

Nov 9 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend leads the team with 10 passes defensed. Several players are tied for second with half that many. Townsend also has three sacks and leads the team with three interceptions.

Oct 14 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend returned to the practice field on Wednesday. He's become a key component of the Steelers' secondary since he replaced Dewayne Washington midway through last season. He is tied for the team lead with two interceptions, has two sacks and leads with seven passes defensed.

Oct 12 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend is tied for the team lead with two interceptions, tied for second with two sacks, leads the team with seven passes defensed and is only three off the solo tackle lead with 22.

Sep 29 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend not only leads the Steelers with two interceptions, he's tied for the lead with two passes defensed and ranks in a tie for second with 14 solo tackles. Townsend, a seven-year vet, did not become a starter until midway through last season.

Sep 27 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend, who became a starter midway through last season, leads the Steelers with two interceptions and also has a sack.

Jul 16 2004 - CB Deshea Townsend said the attitude of the players was different this spring. That's compared to the past few years when the Steelers were expected to challenge for a Super Bowl berth. "You should have something that's motivating you," Townsend said. "You should have a chip on your shoulder every year. But 6-10, you have to go out there and prove yourself and be ready to play."

Dec 22 2003 - CB Deshea Townsend has started only the past seven games but has 13 passes defensed. Townsend has more than the former starting duo of Chad Washington and Chad Scott combined, with 12.

Nov 9 2003 - CB Deshea Townsend made his first start of the season in place of benched Dewayne Washington. He sacked Arizona QB Jeff Blake, forcing a fumble that set up a Steelers TD. He also knocked down two passes, one in the end zone, and tied for third on the team with seven tackles.

Nov 3 2003 - CB Deshea Townsend took over for DeWayne Washington at the end of Sunday's game. Washington was benched for poor play. No word yet on wether the switch is permanent.

INJURY REPORT:

Jan 21 2006 - CB Deshea Townsend (knee) is listed as probable and will play Sunday.

Dec 15 2005 - CB Deshea Townsend, listed as questionable after a scary neck injury Sunday, has practiced all week and should start against the Vikings.

Dec 14 2005 - CB Deshea Townsend is questionable with a neck strain, but he practiced on Wednesday.

Dec 14 2005 - CB Deshea Townsend is listed as questionable this week after CT and MRI tests showed he had no concussion and no serious injury. He has a sprained neck from a hit he made Sunday.

Dec 12 2005 - CB Deshea Townsend was reportedly alright following a concussion and a neck injury from a hit he put on Bears QB Kyle Orton Sunday.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
He's a great system CB.

If he's left one on one by himself he will be burned all day but if he's in an assignment then hes a much better player.
Sounds like a good CB for Belichick's system.

Thats my reaction, and what I thought 54 and BF. I don't see how this signing hurts us at all, he'll most likely be cheap, and he wont be like Mr. IR himself, Tyrone Poole. Good depth..Typical Pats signing =]

BionicPatriot said:
Thats my reaction, and what I thought 54 and BF. I don't see how this signing hurts us at all, he'll most likely be cheap, and he wont be like Mr. IR himself, Tyrone Poole. Good depth..Typical Pats signing =]
From what i can remember he isn't hurt much either and usually plays to his stregths and tries to hide his weaknesses. Some teams exploit him but not if he's put in the right situation.

A solid signing don't you think?? Cheap and a good hitter...and solid player...not nad at all!!

I know he became expendable when he was beat out by rookie Bryant McFadden, I guess that can't be a good thing.

Pats726 said:
A solid signing don't you think?? Cheap and a good hitter...and solid player...not nad at all!!
Many Steelers fans say he's a bette Asante Samuel, and he was lights out in the playoffs. The contract has yet to be determined or if he will even be our new FA.

drew4008 said:
I know he became expendable when he was beat out by rookie Bryant McFadden, I guess that can't be a good thing.
McFadden is considered to be a better man to man player. With better hands.

For what is's worth. The Sporting News has him rated as a solid but not elite NFL RCB.

Glad to see he's over 5'7.:)

Last edited:
re

Won't he be a little more expensive coming off of a Superbowl-winning season?

All I know is look at all the CBs we sign, then subtract a random 5-6 who will be out for the season.

He is a very solid CB...very underrated...typical pats

Deshea Townsend's interception of Tom Brady blew the game wide open on October 31st, 2004 (Halloween anyone?). He returned it 39 yards for a touchdown. Patriots lost 34-20, first loss of that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST