PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FA WR: Reed highly unlikely to sign, no interest in Kevin Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean, just like 2006? In 2006, they thought they had Branch coming back, the scumbag... And the Pats DID sign players and added players as well. Mentioning 2006 is stupid because it's an entirely different situation. And your downplaying Edelman is pure ignorance.

As for your chicken little attitude, :bricks:

Your right Im sorry , Doug Gabrial and Reche Caldwell did wonders for this offense....:rolleyes: I understand about Branch, maybee Belichick is going to show the world that Brady is better than Manning, by making no name recievers quality guys, who knows... But as of today you cant say this is a playoff team...AGAIN I STRESS TODAY, NOT SEPT 12TH..

Look for some high quality players to be cut after week three or four of preseason.

I agree. So does Jonathan Kraft. Once teams draft and foresee players contributing in upcoming season, vets will be jettisoned.

"I think between June and the start of the season, you will probably see significantly more players getting released with veteran-type experience than you have in the past."

Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Good, I don't see how these guys would be a good fit here so lets move on.

As of today this is a playoff team. If the season started today, the Pats would take the division.

Based on what? The way we get to the quarterback with our vicious pass rush? Our run stuffing, pass disturbing RDE? Our quality at WR2, WR3, WR4? Our threat of a pass catching TE that defenses need to respect? This team has too many holes to win the division right now. Talk to me after the draft.

Last edited:
It is six months from start of FA to start of season. A bit less than one month has passed. We don't need immediate help. We need help five months from now.

Did we acquire Moss in the first month of FA? Dillon? Welker? Antowain? any of a number of difference makers?

We acquired Adalius early in free agency.

Speaking of Adalius, has anyone considered that he hasn't been cut because there is no cap, and therfore we can keep players all off-season that narmally would be cut. It doesn't cost a cent to keep him in case we lose three LBs to IR in preseason. If we finish preeason healthy, Adalius gets cut.

WELL, OTHER TEAMS ARE DOING THIS ALSO. Look for some high quality players to be cut after week three or four of preseason.

Adalius, Welker, Washington and Stallworth if I recall correctly were all fairly early in '07, definitely well before the draft. Moss and Dillon were trades that were of the 'icing on the cake' variety not clear necessities. We don't know how long all the FA WR's that are out there will be available. Also wouldn't one want the FA additions to be here for TC rather than 5 months from now and get on page with Brady.

Last edited:
Yes, as of right now our pass-rushers Banta-Cain and Ninkovich strike fear into the hearts of every quarterback.

Our wide receiver corps of Moss, Tate and Edelman will light up the league in our improved offense. And surely our run offense will be much better with the addition of no one at all. And certainly our tight end situation is better than last year.

As of today this is a playoff team. If the season started today, the Pats would take the division.

Last edited:
Adalius, Welker, Washington and Stallworth if I recall correctly were all fairly early in '07, definitely well before the draft. Moss and Dillon were trades that were of the 'icing on the cake' variety not clear necessities. We don't know how long all the FA WR's that are out there will be available. Also wouldn't one want the FA additions to be here for TC rather than 5 months from now and get on page with Brady.

All of which is true, except ...

This off-season there is no cap, so there is no pressure to dump expensive veterans to clear cap room. There will, though, be space pressure when rosters are reduced. So ... (Yes, of course you'd like to have them earlier, but that may not be realistic.)

Yes, as of right now our pass-rushers Banta-Cain and Ninkovich strike fear into the hearts of every quarterback.

Our wide receiver corps of Moss, Tate and Edelman will light up the league in our improved offense. And surely our run offense will be much better with the addition of no one at all. And certainly our tight end situation is better than last year.

Understand the sarcasm MG. Well played. I see your point. True words as far as the point. I can't see the excitement of a better team in 2010 versus 2009. Please Cousins out there, don't give me the Old Draft board routine. Those 21 year old kids are a gamble at best. Yes, I am sure we will hit on one or two....repeat...one or two in 2010, and that is better than average or about the same of players drafted that will play at a high level in the NFL. If three or four develop by 2013, our 2010 Draft will be a extreme success. I repeat our 2010 Draft success will be judged in 2013.

OK Now lets see what we can do this year. Kraft says we sit back and see what Teams jettison some of their talent between the Draft and upcoming season. Cousins, raise your hands if this instills confidence as one poster has said........no? I feel RK will want to put a superb product on the field. Right now IMO, I rate it as slightly above average and far away from elite and the ability to compete consistently with the elite. Yes the Draft will help.....somewhat. One of the most exciting years in the Pats history was 2007. That Team was built up with significant Trades and FA acquisitions. Yes, the Team perhaps had a better core of talented veterans than now or at the least, a younger version if they are still on the roster, than what our 2010 is.

Use what we have at WR? Patten? Like the man many moons ago, but he is not our savior. Crumpler ? Good pick-up but not the same player as 4 or 5 years back.. Decent blocker though. "Cheech" Tate? Please....We'll be begging to find out where Chad Jackson is. Way too stupid for BB. Was a great KR pre-injury and oh-by-the-way, and mediocre WR for UNC. Head scratcher.

Our youthful OLB/DE crew? Crable? Some posters didn't even know he was still on the Team. McKenzie? Maybe the best shot to make good but not even a day of practice yet. Ninkovich? Look at his pre-draft and combine stats and they are impressive. It has not transferred on the field. Cut by two other teams. Murell? Who? Dare I bring up Woods and Alexander?

Hate them as humans or not, at WR we have to consider Brandon Marshall or gasp....T.O. I can't see any vet on another Team that would be in jeopardy of getting Cut with starting ability here. Can any Cousins please name one or two?

At DE, I like Carriker in a trade and so do a few other NFL Teams. First round upper tier Draft pick that has been miscast as a DT on a very poor Rams team. I like him better than any DE in the Draft at #22 or back. Only 25.

OLB Gocong can be had as RFA and was miscast as a 4-3 DE or OLB by the Eagles. He is a pure 262lb, 3-4 edge rusher type OLB. Only 26.

Why not Ray Edwards for our #22? Who is better for a value. 11 sacks in his last eleven games including the playoffs. Great Viking D Linemates? Sure, but so are Wilfork and Warren. I think he is a steal for only a first rounder. Who is better at #22, Cousins. I challenge you to convince me. Edwards has valuable NFL experience. Only 26.

We need a "move" TE. Olsen and his 70 receptions can be had. Olsen and Crumpler would be a solid TE pairing. Some Cousins say look back at Watson and see we don't use a TE. If he could have been trusted more TB would have went his way. Didn't he lead the League in tipped balls that were intercepted?

The above are young except for TO. All will start here and not have to go through a process to see if they were Drafted correctly. Marshall automatically makes this Team better the day he signs. Yes there are trades to be worked as well as contracts but these are solid "ideas" and should be considered. We have the ammo.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

OFFENSE
WR Moss, Branch (sign as a fa), Thomas (22), Edelman, Tate
TE Olsen (for our 53), Crumpler

DEFENSE
draft OLB Hughes (44) and DE Carrington (47)
and sign Burgess and/or Jason Taylor

=================================================
Understand the sarcasm MG. Well played. I see your point. True words as far as the point. I can't see the excitement of a better team in 2010 versus 2009. Please Cousins out there, don't give me the Old Draft board routine. Those 21 year old kids are a gamble at best. Yes, I am sure we will hit on one or two....repeat...one or two in 2010, and that is better than average or about the same of players drafted that will play at a high level in the NFL. If three or four develop by 2013, our 2010 Draft will be a extreme success. I repeat our 2010 Draft success will be judged in 2013.

OK Now lets see what we can do this year. Kraft says we sit back and see what Teams jettison some of their talent between the Draft and upcoming season. Cousins, raise your hands if this instills confidence as one poster has said........no? I feel RK will want to put a superb product on the field. Right now IMO, I rate it as slightly above average and far away from elite and the ability to compete consistently with the elite. Yes the Draft will help.....somewhat. One of the most exciting years in the Pats history was 2007. That Team was built up with significant Trades and FA acquisitions. Yes, the Team perhaps had a better core of talented veterans than now or at the least, a younger version if they are still on the roster, than what our 2010 is.

Use what we have at WR? Patten? Like the man many moons ago, but he is not our savior. Crumpler ? Good pick-up but not the same player as 4 or 5 years back.. Decent blocker though. "Cheech" Tate? Please....We'll be begging to find out where Chad Jackson is. Way too stupid for BB. Was a great KR pre-injury and oh-by-the-way, and mediocre WR for UNC. Head scratcher.

Our youthful OLB/DE crew? Crable? Some posters didn't even know he was still on the Team. McKenzie? Maybe the best shot to make good but not even a day of practice yet. Ninkovich? Look at his pre-draft and combine stats and they are impressive. It has not transferred on the field. Cut by two other teams. Murell? Who? Dare I bring up Woods and Alexander?

Hate them as humans or not, at WR we have to consider Brandon Marshall or gasp....T.O. I can't see any vet on another Team that would be in jeopardy of getting Cut with starting ability here. Can any Cousins please name one or two?

At DE, I like Carriker in a trade and so do a few other NFL Teams. First round upper tier Draft pick that has been miscast as a DT on a very poor Rams team. I like him better than any DE in the Draft at #22 or back. Only 25.

OLB Gocong can be had as RFA and was miscast as a 4-3 DE or OLB by the Eagles. He is a pure 262lb, 3-4 edge rusher type OLB. Only 26.

Why not Ray Edwards for our #22? Who is better for a value. 11 sacks in his last eleven games including the playoffs. Great Viking D Linemates? Sure, but so are Wilfork and Warren. I think he is a steal for only a first rounder. Who is better at #22, Cousins. I challenge you to convince me. Edwards has valuable NFL experience. Only 26.

We need a "move" TE. Olsen and his 70 receptions can be had. Olsen and Crumpler would be a solid TE pairing. Some Cousins say look back at Watson and see we don't use a TE. If he could have been trusted more TB would have went his way. Didn't he lead the League in tipped balls that were intercepted?

The above are young except for TO. All will start here and not have to go through a process to see if they were Drafted correctly. Marshall automatically makes this Team better the day he signs. Yes there are trades to be worked as well as contracts but these are solid "ideas" and should be considered. We have the ammo.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

DW Toys (or should I say cousin), you keep repeating "18%" of draft picks are successful. I'm curious what is deemed successful? A pro bowler? A starter? Is that number for the entire draft? If so, what is the percentage for 1st and 2nd rounders, or 1st through 4th? But most importantly, what is the percentage of players added via free agency and or trades that are successful?

If you are going to use evidence that trades and free agency are the way to go rather than the draft because the draft has only an 18% success rate, then you also have to look at the success rate of trades and free agency. It's as if you are assuming the success rate of trading and adding free agents is 100%.

If you are saying that it takes up to three years for a player to improve from the time he is drafted to being a worthy contributor, then doesn't it stand to reason that players on the roster with less than three years service time are going to improve? You can't have it both ways by saying on one hand a rookie can't contribute because it takes three years to get it, and at the same time declare players in that category have hit their ceiling.

Am I concerned about the positions you mentioned? Yes, absolutely.

Am I going to panic because the team hasn't filled in every position yet? No, absolutely not; it's only March.

Missing out on Reed and Curtis is no big deal. Reed never turned into the playmaker the Bills hoped that they would be getting when they drafted him. And Curtis is probably washed up due to medical conditions. He was great when he was healthy but he's probably a shell of himself now or the Eagles wouldn't have cut him.

Last edited:
Passing on Boldin will come back to bite BB in the arse

Yes. Bill should have signed the Drunk Murderer and the Coke head.. :rolleyes:

Did I miss something? When was Stallworth charged with, not to mention convicted of, murder?

Can we please stop judging the Patriots only considering their weakneses, and judging other teams only considering their strengths?
Surely we have weaknesses, but so do all the other teams in the division.
Everyone is whining about WR, and our WR group is the best in the division, even with a half season of Welker.
Everyone is whining about pass rush without recognizing the Jets had the same sack totals and the Dolphins have lost their best 2 pass rushers.
Its fine to recognize we have weaknesses, but ignorant to pretend the competition doesnt.
That doesnt even mention that we have the only good QB in the division.

Can we please stop judging the Patriots only considering their weakneses, and judging other teams only considering their strengths?
Everyone is whining about WR, and our WR group is the best in the division, even with a half season of Welker.
Everyone is whining about pass rush without recognizing the Jets had the same sack totals and the Dolphins have lost their best 2 pass rushers.
Its fine to recognize we have weaknesses, but ignorant to pretend the competition doesnt.

no....because weaknesses kill a team every time........stop being so euphoric

This is the offseason. It is time to addess weaknesses. We will address some before the draft, some during the draft, some between the draft and Training Camp, and some even after that (as injuries occur and players fail in camp). It is important to understand where there are perceived critical weaknesses so that we can better understand offseason moves.

DEFENSE
We have lost Green, expect to lose Thomas, and expect to re-sign Burgess (and/or perhaps sign Taylor).

I have posted that we have done extremely well in re-signing Wilfork, Bodden and Banta-Cain. I believe that our 2010 defense will be much better than that of 2009. I expect us to draft a DE like Odrick or Carrington and an OLB. This is normal transition.

So for me, we are fine on defense. We are in the last year of a major transition. The youngsters are almost all in place.

I didn't like last year's plan of dealing with th OLB and DE positions, ignoring the position in early free agency and in the draft, hoping that Jason Taylor would sign, giving up a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess and then trading away Seymour. Some think that this strategy was just fine. Maybe it was the best that we could do.
==================

OFFENSE
Posters have criticized every position but quarterback. Why is it bad to focus on the more serious NEED at receiver (WR and TE)? We have only one such serious need. We MUST address it, and we will.

There are many possible plans of attack. One is to hope that Welker will be back at 100% 9 months after an ACL injury. We saw the result of that plan for #3 receiver last year when we counted on Tate coming back and signed an ancient receiver in the meantime. Is it wrong to question repeating that strategy this year?

I have posted that I want Thomas in the first (or another reciever in the second if we can get Odrick in the first or choose to trade down) in addition to signing Branch. But then, perhaps I am just wishing and hoping and will be disappointed when Branch signs elsewhere. I have also said that I would trade for Olsen and/or draft ****erson.

The situaion at receiver is aweful at the moment. I see no harm in pointing that out. It is also quite solvable.
===============================

The post I was responding to indicated that we were division favorites right now, with no further additions of 2010 contributers. I don't believe this to be the case unless there are strong 2010 performances from Tate and Thomas and Burgess. After all, these three would indeed meet the need at WR and OLB.

Andy, I suggest you start looking at "quarterback hit" totals for the Jets last season then compare them to the Pats. As for the Dolphins, if you watched any of their games last year, you would realize that Jason Taylor and Joey Porter were not what they used to be. Cameron Wake was by far their best pass rusher. Good thing for us that he sucks against the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye