"Expert" Consensus appears to be on DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Posted this earlier this morning, but I collected the 20 most recent mock drafts and compiled them, and here's a look at who most people expect them to target in round one:

Looking at the first round, there is certainly plenty of intrigue surrounding who they may target, and the majority of mock drafts continue to point to the Patriots targeting a defensive tackle. Yesterday after looking at twenty different mock drafts that were done over the last week, here’s a quick look at who many analysts in the media believe New England will select in round one.

1) CSNHouston – Dave Zangaro – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE Washington
2) FoxSports – Peter Schrager – Dee Ford, OLB/DE Auburn
3) Times-Picayune – Jeff Duncan – DeMarcus Lawrence, DE Boise State
4) NESN – Doug Kyed – Dominique Easley, DT Florida
5) CBS Sports – Pete Prisco – Joel Bitonio, OG Nevada
6) CSNPhilly – Geoff Mosher – Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame
7) CSNPhilly – Jared Sherman – Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame
8) CBS Sports – Will Brinson – Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame
9) CBS Sports – Dane Brugler – Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame
10) Indianapolis Star – Mike Chappell – Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame
11) CBS Sports – Pat Kirwin – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
12) NJ.com – Darryl Slater – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
13) NFL.com- Bucky Brooks – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
14) ESPN Insider – Mel Kiper Jr. – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
15) ESPN Insider – Todd McShay – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
16)CBS Sports – Rob Rang – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
17) Yahoo! Sports- Shaun King – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
18) Baltimore Sun – Aaron Wilson – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
19) Cleveland Plain Dealer – Chris Fedor – Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame
20) FoxSports Ohio – Fred Greetham – Timmy Jernigan, NT Florida State

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/20...t-defensive-tackle-seems-consensus-round-one/

I've added a few more since then, which can be found on the mock draft page I set up earlier:

http://www.patsfans.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/

usually means we take a corner.

I really hope they don't pick Nix. Hageman or Bitonio are the best ones out of all those mocks.

They will probably trade #29, though.

I agree with the consensus. I like the DT pick. HOWEVER, given that the consensus is RARELY right where the Pats are conserned. I now believe the pats, whether they trade the pick or not, will end up with someone other than a DT. Go figure

To me, it's largely a question of where the remaining talent is likely to be strongest at #29.

IMO DT is a good bet, as are WR and DB. OL maybe; TE, 4/3 DE, LB, RB, QB, no.

I am a happy goombah if at the end 3 rounds we have a DT, SS, and a DE/OLB..........................

Posted this earlier this morning, but I collected the 20 most recent mock drafts and compiled them, and here's a look at who most people expect them to target in round one:

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/20...t-defensive-tackle-seems-consensus-round-one/

I've added a few more since then, which can be found on the mock draft page I set up earlier:

http://www.patsfans.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/
I do not expect us to select a player at #29, I see us trading back into the second round. I could see Easley or Tuitt being option then so DT is a strong possibility as our first pick, in my opinion anyway.

Peter King's mock draft came out today. He's nothing special when it comes to slotting players, but he's made plenty of calls around the league to try to find out what people might be thinking.

There was an interesting quote about us:

29. *New England: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
Everyone I’ve talked to said some version of, “Oh, New England’s trading out.” Which I buy. I also would buy tight end Jace Amaro here. I do not buy Ra’shede Hageman. Too boom-or-bust. Tuitt’s a very strong Patriot kind of versatile tackle and 3-4 end with the ability to play outside, a la Vince Wilfork.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-khalil-mack-houston-texans/

I don't think it'd surprise anyone...

Good, that means we are not taking a DT in the first round, as i wish

This quote from Peter King sounds familiar

"There’s another team that is practicing intentional misdirection right now. By that I mean this team knows some of its coaches and front-office officials talk to people around the league, and some of the employees have been told it wouldn’t be such a terrible things if you left the impression we might take so-and-so, or this-and-that. Earnestly. That’s why it’s so dangerous to trust everything you hear at this time of year. You’re best to go with your gut feeling, judging by what teams need."

I'm **** when it comes to evaluating drafts but I really don't like Hageman.

I like Nix much, much, much less. If Bill wanted to draft a fat-body with his first pick, then he shouldn't have re-structured Wilfork & Kelly.

I'm **** when it comes to evaluating drafts but I really don't like Hageman.
You are a smart man. Hageman is awful awful awful. Think back a few years to Jimmy Kennedy who was selected by the Rams. Hageman is Jimmy Kennedy. Thats the best possible person I can think of to who he will become. A over hyped D Lineman who is nothing more than a rotational sub in for vet min.

In the case Kony Ealy is there at 29, the Patriots could select him and rotate him from DE to DT. Apparently, there is talk of the possibility of switching him to DT. He'd be different in style from WIlfork. Probably more of a pass rushing DT.

Based on roster numbers, the Pats appear light at TE, S, and LB...... they could use reinforcements at RB, interior OL, and DL (based on age more than # of bodies)
If the goal with the first round is to have a starting caliber player in his first year that fills a need, gotta go TE.
But don't ask me me if that TE exists at #29

To me, it's largely a question of where the remaining talent is likely to be strongest at #29.

IMO DT is a good bet, as are WR and DB. OL maybe; TE, 4/3 DE, LB, RB, QB, no.

I agree, this is how they will look at it. Even though i wan them to take Sefarian-Jenkins if he is there at #29 I think the most likely bets are either Nix or Tuitt. I would be surprised if they took Hagemann but the athletic ability and size will make him tempting at that point. I don't believe they will go OL before the 3rd and the same goes for RB. They may take the big WR if they don't like the look of the TE's and if so Robinson would be my best bet at #29 at WR.

Peter King's mock draft came out today. He's nothing special when it comes to slotting players, but he's made plenty of calls around the league to try to find out what people might be thinking.

There was an interesting quote about us:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-khalil-mack-houston-texans/

I don't think it'd surprise anyone...

As I said in another post I think this is the most likely pick. He has a build similar to Seymour's and can play both DL and DE. He also has the upside you want in a first round pick and if i had to bet on one player for them to take he would get the vote.

Based on roster numbers, the Pats appear light at TE, S, and LB...... they could use reinforcements at RB, interior OL, and DL (based on age more than # of bodies)
If the goal with the first round is to have a starting caliber player in his first year that fills a need, gotta go TE.
But don't ask me me if that TE exists at #29
I completely agree with this assement. If Moseley or Shazier fall I think that would be the pick but other than that most of the TE's have a round 2 grade on them so someone like Niklas or CJF make sense low 2nd early 3rd. My absolute gut feeling is they trade back into the top of round 2 and pick up Xavier Sua Filo.

I just go with it as I don't follow enough college ball to know enough about the players and BB usually makes a pick that is unexpected (and he may just trade out too).

It depends on the QB's. If 3 or 4 are taken in the 1st round, then a player will fall to us that is not expected. If only 1 or none are taken that will make #29 a trade target for this who need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back