Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Excluding the QB position, where are we on quality of personnel?

• #1 in the AFCE

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • #2 in the AFCE

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • #3 in the AFCE

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • #4 in the AFCE

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Excluding the QB position, where are we on quality of personnel?
========
And yes, of course, we cannot know until midseason or even after the season.

I voted for #3 ahead of the Dolphins.

If we can only fix the offensive line, well we'd still be #3 but I've been impressed by the defense on how they play as a tight unit. I see good things for them. Our offense is a total question mark because of the OL. Who knows?

Every component is dependent on others parts.

For instance Defense. I suspect the Pats will have the best defense in the AFCE. But, the true potential of that defense will not been seen if the Pats continually lose the Time of Possession battle where they will get worn down because the offense doesn't do its job.

Was looking for the #1 in our hearts selection...

I can't parse out the QB for the Pats, without doing so for the other teams... Each has strengths and weaknesses...

Will post a breakdown assessment after I think about it some... And then make a selection in the poll... Lot to chew on here...

I think if you go position by position, the Patriots actually match up really well compared to the other AFCE teams. It shifts one way or the other depending on how much you weigh each position though. For example, if you value WR as a 1b position (behind QB as 1a) in terms of importance, it would push Miami up pretty high in this exercise.

So, if I were to say Mac Jones was the QB of every AFCE team, by my personal preferences, I would probably rank them:

1) Bills
2) Jets
3) Patriots
4) Miami

I don't think the top 3 are far off though. The Bills could take a step back in overall talent this year outside of QB. Honestly, whoever has the best draft (for players that contribute immediately) probably moves up to #1 for me in 2023, Pats included. Miami has a great tandem at WR, but I'm not sold on the rest of their team at this point.

Very good, not great, but probably 2 or 3ish, depending on what happens with the other teams...The problem is the QB masks so many problems on a roster that its hard to tell with some teams...How good is buffalo if Allen isnt there? The Dolphins couldnt win without Tua. The Patriots are close to them roster wise, scheme/qb not so much.

Can we wait until the draft before speculating?

Every component is dependent on others parts.

For instance Defense. I suspect the Pats will have the best defense in the AFCE. But, the true potential of that defense will not been seen if the Pats continually lose the Time of Possession battle where they will get worn down because the offense doesn't do its job.
I voted #4 but I still believe BB can build a cohesive team and as still the best game planner and game manager, present a team greater than the sum of its parts.

I also voted #4 because I could give 2 ****s about how our roster looks on PAPER compared to how other teams roster do. How many YEARS do we have to LOSE the offseason before we understand how good football teams are built. Before we admit to ourselves that EVERY player who can make a 53 man roster in the NFL is a GREAT football player. The best of the best. Guys who have survived the hard competition that weeds out lesser talents over 4 years in HS, 4-6 years in college, and then to the ultimate challenge of making a 53 man roster.

Clearly, at this level, some guys are better than others, but they ALL can play at least to the level of competence and competitiveness at the NFL level. It is at THIS point that you compete even FURTHER to decide who are you starters and who are your back ups. This competition will not happen until August. Everything will be revealed at that time.

Until that time all we are doing is an intellectual exercise to pass the time. Now make no mistake, I too enjoy the exercise as much as the next guy. I have to pass this time as well, but I NEVER forget that that is all it is. We are just passing time 'til August with brief moments of great interest when the draft and the OTA's happen.

Well, on paper (as the much esteemed PFK mentioned) is not a be-all-end-all. But, it is a starting point.

OL - Good, but flawed (inconsistent). An upgrade to LT would make a big difference. 3rd now, could be 2nd.

RB - Solid. Very solid. Stevenson is a workhorse, and there is depth and variety behind him. I think they are 1st.

WR/TE - Wow. With the changes they should be more productive. But, I have to say 3b, maybe even 4th.

DL - Very good, but did seem inconsistent, especially when dealing with QBs who can run. 2nd?

LB - Fatally flawed when it comes to coverage. I think they also lack some discipline. 4th - but they do have talent, so 3rd is not out of the question.

DB - Well, a stalwart leader is gone, and there is questions when it comes to a true lockdown CB. However, overall this unit is very good. But when it isn't, it really isn't. Still, I'd put them 2nd.

ST - Coverage - Again, inconsistencies. 3rd.

ST - Return - 25 has the skills to be a beast - looking forward to seeing him take a step up this season. For now, 2nd.

(All statements here are off the cuff, employing the site test and memory. For entertainment purposes only. If this causes Post Irritation lasting more than 4 hours, please consult your intoxicant of choice.)

We still have the draft and trades, but:

They have the best RB's.

Best TE's.

I'd put WR's #3 behind the Dolphins and Jets. Yep, Bills have the worst group.

#3 on OL.

#3 DL behind Jets and Bills.

Best OLB's.

Worst ILB's.

3rd best CB's behind Jets and Dolphins.

#2 S's behind Bills only because there is a question mark of the McCourty replacement.

Best KR/PR.

Tie at #1 for K with Bills.

P is worst.

3rd K/P Coverage behind Jets and Bills.

Last edited:
Well, on paper (as the much esteemed PFK mentioned) is not a be-all-end-all. But, it is a starting point.

OL - Good, but flawed (inconsistent). An upgrade to LT would make a big difference. 3rd now, could be 2nd.

RB - Solid. Very solid. Stevenson is a workhorse, and there is depth and variety behind him. I think they are 1st.

WR/TE - Wow. With the changes they should be more productive. But, I have to say 3b, maybe even 4th.

DL - Very good, but did seem inconsistent, especially when dealing with QBs who can run. 2nd?

LB - Fatally flawed when it comes to coverage. I think they also lack some discipline. 4th - but they do have talent, so 3rd is not out of the question.

DB - Well, a stalwart leader is gone, and there is questions when it comes to a true lockdown CB. However, overall this unit is very good. But when it isn't, it really isn't. Still, I'd put them 2nd.

ST - Coverage - Again, inconsistencies. 3rd.

ST - Return - 25 has the skills to be a beast - looking forward to seeing him take a step up this season. For now, 2nd.

(All statements here are off the cuff, employing the site test and memory. For entertainment purposes only. If this causes Post Irritation lasting more than 4 hours, please consult your intoxicant of choice.)
I like the way you have listed this out.....sounds a cliche but with some good additions in the draft and maybe some pick ups I think we will have a good season.

I wanted evaluate before and after the draft.

All four teams will be better after the draf.t

I wanted evaluate before and after the draft.

All four teams will be better after the draf.t
Agreed - everything will change post draft. Even after filtering out the hype that always follows.

I guess our TE group could be considered better than the rest of the division since we have two starting caliber tight ends. Other than that I think every other position group is either 3rd or 4th. If the Jets do land Rodgers I think we're in a distant 4th place at the most important position on the field.

Just a reminder to some that Miami has Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. Both are much better than any of our WRs. They also have a RB1 (Raheem Mostert) who averages 5.4 yards per carry, which is #1 among all active RBs (Nick Chubb is #2 at 5.2 Y/A). I know we're discounting QBs, but with a healthy Tua (which granted is doubtful), their offense is a lot better than ours. Their defense kinda sucks but that's another story.

They also have a RB1 (Raheem Mostert) who averages 5.4 yards per carry, which is #1 among all active RBs (Nick Chubb is #2 at 5.2 Y/A).
It's all scheme with him. He was a journeyman special teamer for a reason. Since Shanahan has been in SF, every RB he's had lost their job to injury.

Had Harris not signed with Buffalo, NE's gap of having the best RB's would've been larger.

Reactions: Ian
Just a reminder to some that Miami has Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. Both are much better than any of our WRs. They also have a RB1 (Raheem Mostert) who averages 5.4 yards per carry, which is #1 among all active RBs (Nick Chubb is #2 at 5.2 Y/A). I know we're discounting QBs, but with a healthy Tua (which granted is doubtful), their offense is a lot better than ours. Their defense kinda sucks but that's another story.
I’d rate the Dolphins as currently better than the Pats (if Tua is healthy), but they kind of blew a decent opportunity when they were a team on the rise and had the additional draft capital from the 49ers trade; today, despite all the draft and cap resources spent, they are still a team with holes, have negative cap space in 2024 despite having a QB on his rookie contract, have only 4 picks in this years draft, and Tua is one hit from retirement. While the Dolphins are better now I think the Patriots are better positioned for the future.

They have a competent defensive coordinator now. I expect their defense to be improved.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back