PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Even Now, Rust Never Sleeps: Pats Move for Post-Hoyer-Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Brady was drafted NE carried 4 QBs on the roster.

It wouldn't be shocking if NE held on to Hoyer, its not like its in the best interest of the team to let him go, unless Mallet has beaten out Hoyer for the backup QB spot, and even then its best to try and keep 3 QBs on the roster.

Look at the Titans, Bears, KC, and the Colts. Having depth at QB has an impact on the season. Throwing unexperienced players on the field can hinder a teams production.

I think the idea is that if they tender Hoyer at a high level and someone makes an offer, you can allow him to walk because you have Mallett. Signing a nothing QB to a futures contract has less than nothing to do with that though.

I think the idea is that if they tender Hoyer at a high level and someone makes an offer, you can allow him to walk because you have Mallett.

I agree. Lets hope Mallet is that guy, and BB doesn't see the need to pick up a 3rd QB in the draft.

Last edited:
I think the idea is that if they tender Hoyer at a high level and someone makes an offer, you can allow him to walk because you have Mallett. Signing a nothing QB to a futures contract has less than nothing to do with that though.

Exactly.

I like that, even this week, the Pats are thinking ahead and at least considering (not saying it's a lock or anything) who might be the #3 behind Mallet next year.

Indy never ever thought about who might be #2 right up to the doorstep of the season.

Differences in perspective.

Source: QB Hartline signed to future deal - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Good luck, Brian - - you deserve to be The Man for some team.

I'll take a comp pick for him.

What has Hoyer done to earn this perception that he's worth a comp pick or a draft pick in a trade?

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin and Ryan Tannehill are going to be picked in round 1. Matt Flynn, Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton are free agents and will all get a chance to compete to start somewhere.

Where does Hoyer fit as a potential starter?

What has Hoyer done to earn this perception that he's worth a comp pick or a draft pick in a trade?

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin and Ryan Tannehill are going to be picked in round 1. Matt Flynn, Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton are free agents and will all get a chance to compete to start somewhere.

Where does Hoyer fit as a potential starter?

Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton? Really?
I get that Hoyer hasn't shown a lot, but you cannot dismiss that he has gotten better QB tuteledge than must about anyone you could find.
Teams will probably still go get already broken QBs like the ones you listed above who will never reach the mental QB skills you want in a QB, but Flynn or Hoyer give you a much better chance of accomplishing the most important trait you need in a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes