PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Cliff Lee returns to Phillies (Yankees Suck)

Re: ESPN: Yankees out of the run for Cliff Lee

why waste my time responding to the ridiculous.

Another extremely informative post. Thanks for adding even more the discussion. Clearly your immense knowledge on the subject matter is unparalleled. :rolleyes:

Lots of Yankee fans here in Rhode island ... most of them Italians.
The fathers loved the Yankees and passed it down to the kids.
I believe Dom dimaggio had a lot to do with this.

I don't get it but i see it all the time where I live.

Joe Dimaggio. My fandom is a result of an older cousin I looked up to being a Yankees fan when I was a kid, as well as Don Mattingly being my favorite player growing up. I used to watch the Yankees on WPIX back then.

Another extremely informative post. Thanks for adding even more the discussion.
your very welcome. glad i could help you.

Oh give me a break. Carl Crawford has been doing stellar defense for seven whole seasons (no season with an UZR below 10.2). Brett Gardner's done it once with a 22 UZR (his UZR the season before was 3). In 2008 Jacoby Ellsbury had an UZR of 21, followed by a -9 UZR in 2009. A prime example of inconsistency, which could be the same case with Gardner.

While it isn't safe to say Gardner's 2010 season (defensively) was a fluke, it also isn't safe to call him a better defender than Carl Crawford. Crawford has proved to be consistent (all around), Gardner has not.

I'll take the stretch of seven whole seasons over one.

Carl Crawford 2007 UZR -2.5 in LF.

Maybe you missed my point about applying salt to defensive metrics. Ellsbury's numbers are an example of why. Personally, I think the metrics are like Wikipedia. Good for reference, but not applicable when attempting to certify facts. The metrics are an inexact science that are constantly being tweaked from year to year. They changed Jason Bay's figures last year, going back. Any metric that can be changed, adjusted, tweaked, or altered at any time, isn't a metric that's to be used as gospel. As a general reference though, they're fine.

At any rate, Gardner's overall UZR the last 3 years has been 12.3, 9.3, and 21.9. In 2009 he didn't play LF. He played exclusively in center, which is a much harder position to play than LF. LF is generally regarded as the easiest of the 3 OF positions to play. Crawford doesn't play CF cuz he doesn't like to.

Like I've been saying. Crawford is a better overall player than Gardner. Someone said to name one aspect where Crawford "wasn't better", and that's what I'm doing.

Carl Crawford 2007 UZR -2.5 in LF.

Maybe you missed my point about applying salt to defensive metrics. Ellsbury's numbers are an example of why. Personally, I think the metrics are like Wikipedia. Good for reference, but not applicable when attempting to certify facts. The metrics are an inexact science that are constantly being tweaked from year to year. They changed Jason Bay's figures last year, going back. Any metric that can be changed, adjusted, tweaked, or altered at any time, isn't a metric that's to be used as gospel. As a general reference though, they're fine.

At any rate, Gardner's overall UZR the last 3 years has been 12.3, 9.3, and 21.9. In 2009 he didn't play LF. He played exclusively in center, which is a much harder position to play than LF. LF is generally regarded as the easiest of the 3 OF positions to play. Crawford doesn't play CF cuz he doesn't like to.

Like I've been saying. Crawford is a better overall player than Gardner. Someone said to name one aspect where Crawford "wasn't better", and that's what I'm doing.

I know that, but what I was trying to prove was that Gardner isn't better defensively.

Gardner's UZR in 2008 was a 3.1 in left field. While you bring Crawford's -2.5 UZR season in, he also has seven more seasons of 10.2+ UZR (in left field) under his belt. Crawford brings in seven great defensive seasons while Gardner only brings one to the table.

And this would be why I think Carl Crawford is the better defensive player than Gardner. He has the experience and consistency. We'll have to see how well Gardner does this year to come to a conclusion.

:)

I know that, but what I was trying to prove was that Gardner isn't better defensively.

Gardner's UZR in 2008 was a 3.1 in left field. While you bring Crawford's -2.5 UZR season in, he also has seven more seasons of 10.2+ UZR (in left field) under his belt. Crawford brings in seven great defensive seasons while Gardner only brings one to the table.

And this would be why I think Carl Crawford is the better defensive player than Gardner. He has the experience and consistency. We'll have to see how well Gardner does this year to come to a conclusion.

:)

Fair enough. I'll call them comparably good defensive outfielders. :D

All I know is I wouldn't want to be a catcher on the opposing team, when playing the Redsox.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back