PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Erik Frentz: patriots sign jeff demps (unconfirmed)

I think Ebner will make it. Cole might not. And Allen. Ebner can replace 2 of them and much more upside.

Don't know who mentioned Woodhead but he isn't going anywhere.....same person mentioned Kettani, Bolden.....as people would be affected by this signing...I think both of these guys will be gone obviously anyways.Bolden may stick on practice squad. We are looking at Ridley,Vereen, Woodhead, and most likely Demps now because of his KR ability as your RB's for 2013.....

re: Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

So Tebow warned him about going to NY ???????????

Last edited:
re: Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

Demps would be active if he will be a returner.

IMHO, Bolden will be inactive or on the Practice Squad. IMHO, he is a 2012 Green-Ellis.

Also, don't be surprised if the Game 2 RB unit includes someone not now on the team. There will be lost of RB's cut in the final cut and after Game 1. ONE of these running backs may be more valuable than Bolden.

I might sound like a pollyanna, but I really think you're underestimating Bolden. He went undrafted not for lack of upside, but because he had a high bust factor, but so far in camp he's had a really positive showing.

It's possible in Bolden and Demps, the Patriots have found themselves two valuable pieces to the RB-by-committee puzzle without using draft picks.

Re: Erik Frentz: patriots sign jeff demps (unconfirmed)

Don't know who mentioned Woodhead but he isn't going anywhere.....

Woodhead's been returning kicks. You don't think a kick returner being signed has a chance to affect the guy currently returning kicks? Also, while I don't think it eliminates Woodhead this year, this adds a 3rd RB who'd have third down back skills. Note that I didn't say he'd getting 7+/- people cut, just affected. A signing like this could impact Woodhead's playing time both on special teams and on 3rd down type situations.

Last edited:

More Jets brilliance:
Is demps slotted as a WR or RB in NE? I could see Demps replacing Woodhead, and Woodhead replacing Welker... and as a result, Welker is a free agent after the year.

One thing we shouldn't forget about Woodhead before we write him off was the solid performance he had in the Super Bowl. He had a quiet year, but he showed up that night. I wish we had gotten him the ball more.

Last edited:

More Jets brilliance:

It'd not the dumbest thing I've heard from the Jets board, by a long shot. If Vereen and Ridley do emerge as a solid 1-2 tandem and limit Woodhead's snaps, Woodhead definitely has the ability to be moved to slot receiver. He, Welker and Edelman are all FAs after 2012, but it is something to keep in mind.

I've been trying to log in for an hour+ to post my thoughts on demps haha. But what you have here is someone who has similar speed to CJ2k and jamaal Charles. He isnt as big as those guys, and im not saying he will be as good as either of them. but good lord he could be good. Imagine if the pats get the next Charles/Johnson? And they didn't have to use a draft pick....

Yeesh this board... Do we need to wait the mandatory 5 years post career to induct him into Canton, or can we do it now?

He's got great straight line speed, but right now he's probably too light to play in the NFL on a consistent basis. He's in phenomenal physical shape, of course, but not really football shape (needs to bulk up a bit, I'm sure, those Olympic sprinters are streamlined for straight line speed, and nothing else). At best he gets eased into the kick return role. He's missed all of OTAs/minicamp and now most of training camp. The Patriots have installed nearly all of their offense, and are now heading into the 3 games in 10 days part of their preseason, in which BB himself has said it's very hard to install anything new or, I imagine, go back to square one to help Demps get up to speed (no pun intended).

I'm excited to see him too, as our kick return game sucked, and he should be able to help us out there pretty soon. As for helping on offense, I'd be pretty surprised if he took many snaps away from anyone for quite a while.

I'll hope for the best, but let's lower our expectations a bit so the guy doesn't disappoint if he doesn't come out of the gates setting the world on fire.

I'm sorry, but saying Woodhead could replace Welker in the slot is idiotic.

More Jets brilliance:
Woodhead did play WR for the jets, and even we talk about the possibility that Welker ours gone next year.

It'd not the dumbest thing I've heard from the Jets board, by a long shot. If Vereen and Ridley do emerge as a solid 1-2 tandem and limit Woodhead's snaps, Woodhead definitely has the ability to be moved to slot receiver. He, Welker and Edelman are all FAs after 2012, but it is something to keep in mind.

I just don't see that happening, ever. Welker leaving, maybe, but Woodhead moving to the slot wouldn't be the reason.

Am I in the twilight zone? These Woodhead comments :bricks:

To my dear friends on Patsfans.com I present you with some Jet fan reactions to this (enjoy!):

Sprinter Demps picks Patriots over Jets: report - Jets Insider.com Forums

"demps to sign w/pats... why does this NOT surprise me :( "

"Yet another Tebow incompletion."

"Ofcourse it has to be the Patriots. "

"GD I am hating this season"

"Ya but its popular to hate on the Jets. We're like Canadians, and the Patriots are true Americans."
He likes the idea of Bart Scott covering him twice a year.

Talk about the tortoise and the hair."

" Everyone wants to Win Championships with the Pats :( "

"

Last edited:

From what I'm reading he may not have the fastest recorded 40 yard, but the 100 meter is better for him than the 40 yard.

The Fastest 40 Yard Dash Ever | Gridironstuds.com Blog

Interesting. It's tough to compare 100m vs. 40 yards. There's no gun at the combine; track guys run with great technique and obviously are applying that technique towards running a longer distance. I'd be really curious to see what his 40 yards would be.

But anytime someone tries to extrapolate what Bolt's 40 time would be or something like that, it's an impossible calculation/conversion.

We have 3 primary running backs. Two are youngsters still in learning mode. BTW, I am absolutely fine with these three (Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead).

We need to choose how to use ONE or TWO additional roster spots. My suggestion is that we are unlikely to use the spots for two rookies. I would also note that 5 RB's requires an adjustment for most of our rosters.

We may very well keep Bolden. As folks will surely point out, this strategy worked out very well with Green-Ellis. But I don't think it is realistic to see him active in 2012 unless there is an injury or two.

I might sound like a pollyanna, but I really think you're underestimating Bolden. He went undrafted not for lack of upside, but because he had a high bust factor, but so far in camp he's had a really positive showing.

It's possible in Bolden and Demps, the Patriots have found themselves two valuable pieces to the RB-by-committee puzzle without using draft picks.

Last edited:

But I don't think it is realistic to see him active in 2012 unless there is an injury or two.

That's fair - he might not be active; but it seems like he's done what he can do earn himself a roster spot this camp.

I just don't see that happening, ever. Welker leaving, maybe, but Woodhead moving to the slot wouldn't be the reason.

I never said moving Woodhead to the slot would be the reason for Welker leaving. But if Welker and the team part ways after 2012 then Woodhead is a definitely option at the slot along with Edelman and Ebert. And maybe even Demps, down the road.

"Its popular to hate on the Jets. We're like Canadians, and the Patriots are true Americans."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, they DO have CFL level talent....

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3