PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End game strategy: Why PAts play to win NOT not to lose......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have seen this all season from the PAtriots and it was evident again in the JAx game. A little over 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr. PAts have the ball on about their own 40 yrd line and it is 3rd and 8. Up by 2 scores most coaches take the conservative approach and call another running play and punt. Not this team. Pass to Stallworth and he does the rest to pick up the first down. My point is the strategy is to keep the ball and not give the other team ANY hope of coming back. That is confidence in your QB and your offense.

Now take a look at the other 2 games Sunday. The Chargers gave PEyton not 1, but 2 chances to come back and win the game late in the 4th. And the play calling for the Giants at the end of the game? 2 running plays and then Eli running around on 3 rd down like a deer in the headlights and punting the ball away again giving Dallas an opportunity to come back and beat you. This is the difference in the Pats and the rest. Playing late in the game to WIn the game. Other teams play not to lose the game late in the 4th. Agree or not?

well, in reference to the stallworth play, iirc, that was the broken screen to maroney, not an intentional play designed to go to donte.

and for the record i thought eli had a fantastic game. maybe the first time i've seen what he could be capable of if he stops being a "woe is me" whiner like his brother. he and the d really pulled that win out (and toomer on that juke move for the td).

Last edited:
And the play calling for the Giants at the end of the game? 2 running plays and then Eli running around on 3 rd down like a deer in the headlights and punting the ball away again giving Dallas an opportunity to come back and beat you.

Yeah, I noticed this one as well. The Cowboys knew the run was coming at them and stuffed it. If I were the Giants, away in Dallas with a chance at an upset, I would have passed on second down (taking the Cowboys by surprise) to get the first and run out the clock. Even with that extra run, the Giants still left the Cowboys plenty of time on the clock for a game winning drive, if they had been able to execute it.

But it worked out for Coughlin, so good for him I guess.

well, in reference to the stallworth play, iirc, that was the broken screen to maroney, not an intentional play designed to go to donte.

and for the record i thought eli had a fantastic game. maybe the first time i've seen what he could be capable of if he stops being a "woe is me" whiner like his brother. he and the d really pulled that win out (and toomer on that juke move for the td).

Different play. He is talking about the Stallworth play at the end of the game where he caught a pass and then spun around, diving past the sticks.

ah, thanks for the clarification! i couldn't remember at which point that big catch was at.

Absolutely. It was most evident this year in the Pittsburgh loss and the SD game last week. That lame little bootleg has been talked about, but the Chargers are getting a pass because they won. Foolish. They drove 80 yards (and easily) for the go-ahead TD, and then when they needed a first down to win it, they hit the line three times and punted. You could say they had faith in their D/Manning wasn't going to pull it out, etc., but bottom line don't give up the ball if you can avoid it. And don't talk to me about turning the ball over--that's playing scared and that's when teams lose.

I have seen this all season from the PAtriots and it was evident again in the JAx game. A little over 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr. PAts have the ball on about their own 40 yrd line and it is 3rd and 8. Up by 2 scores most coaches take the conservative approach and call another running play and punt. Not this team. Pass to Stallworth and he does the rest to pick up the first down. My point is the strategy is to keep the ball and not give the other team ANY hope of coming back. That is confidence in your QB and your offense.

Now take a look at the other 2 games Sunday. The Chargers gave PEyton not 1, but 2 chances to come back and win the game late in the 4th. And the play calling for the Giants at the end of the game? 2 running plays and then Eli running around on 3 rd down like a deer in the headlights and punting the ball away again giving Dallas an opportunity to come back and beat you. This is the difference in the Pats and the rest. Playing late in the game to WIn the game. Other teams play not to lose the game late in the 4th. Agree or not?

I couldn't agree more. If the Chargers had thrown on second down, and gone incomplete, the worst that could've happened was that Indy would've saved 1 timeout, which wouldn't have mattered b/c the Colts had plenty of time anyway. The upside of the play was outright victory. Of course, there is always the possibility of an interception, but you shouldn't give away a chance to win the game b/c your QB "might" throw an interception.

The Chargers got the benefit of a legendary punt, a crushing hit that knocked Reggie Wayne out of the game, and a Dallas Clark drop. They won in spite of their chicken-sh*t playcalling. Let's hope Norv is just as conservative against us.

I completely agree. It's very noticeable when watching other teams how stupidly they play.

That is the problem with a lot of the NFL teams, they play not to lose instead ofto win. I am not a patriots fan, but I like how they take no lead for granite and they still are trying to score, no matter what their lead is or at what point in the game it is. When you have someone down, you have to bury them at that point and that is what the patriots are doing this year.

Exactly, you go for the jugular.

I am not a patriots fan, but I like how they take no lead for granite and they still are trying to score, no matter what their lead is or at what point in the game it is.

I am a Patriots fan and i like it how they take no lead for Sandstone.

PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME.....rather then playing not to lose is one of BB's most important attributes and it is what has endeared him to my heart.

It takes big ones and tremendous self confidence not to be intimidated when 30 plus million people are watching. My hat is off to him for having the courage to act on what he believes is in the best interest of the team regardless of all the second guessers in this world just waiting for an opportunity to look intelligent while saying he was wrong.

Last edited:
That is the problem with a lot of the NFL teams, they play not to lose instead ofto win. I am not a patriots fan, but I like how they take no lead for granite and they still are trying to score, no matter what their lead is or at what point in the game it is. When you have someone down, you have to bury them at that point and that is what the patriots are doing this year.

Why did Pittsburgh lose to Jax? It's because they played "not to lose"... If Big Ben had not scrambled on 3rd and 6, they would have at least made it to the next round....

Aggressive play calling in the 4th quarter is needed if you want to make sure you have the game in your bag.. Of course, every coach fears the game ending interception but if you have faith in your QB and receivers, that's what you should call in my opinion.... Unless you go all out on every down, it's tough to win games, especially in the playoffs...

Anyway, just my opinion....

I long for the days when the Pats would go for the juggler...
istockphoto_2578159_clown_juggler.jpg

Too soft. Sandstone and limestone teams can't win outside in cold weather. Go for granite or basalt, of maybe some feldspar to keep the other team guessing.

And forget mica. Other teams see right through it.

Last edited:

What about New Hampshire? They take everything for granite up there.

*wokka-wokka* :singing:

Thank you! Please tip your waitresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick