PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ellis Hobbs almost a Jet? Jets called last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailgater

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Listening to WEEI, Ellis Hobbs is relating his draft day experience last season.

He said he was was keeping busy putzing around on the first day, then went to watch the 2nd - 3rd round picks at his Moms house. He said the Jets GM called and said they were about to pick him.

Hobbs got excited, then saw another name come up when the Jets made their pick. (I assume it was Miller at #57).

Nice piece of luck for the Pats.

He sounds like a really nice kid who has his head screwed on pretty straight. Looking for constructive criticism and determined to improve all aspects (positives and negatives) of his game from his rookie season. Uses some of the mindless media criticism to fuel him. Has done that since college. Says he was drawn to Iowa because their players flew under the radar but accomplished their goals through hard work. Says he doesn't know many NFL players outside of NE so he relies on his coaches and Rodney for direction. Feels a veteran guy like Ridney knows the finer points of the game as far as the corners he's played with. Talked about breaking down tape of himself this week with Joel Collier and finding some little quirks in his game, potential bad habits, that he will have to be mindful of at all times this season to get to the point where not doing those things becomes second nature eventually. A tendancy towards leaning or stepping in just pre snap being one. Fighting the urge to jump routes based on QB reads because guys at this level are so good at misleading you is a tough transition that should become easier as he gets familiar with his opponents. Talked about being so tired after Denver that he felt almost relieved the pressure of the season was over, but wanting it back within a week. Loves being paid to do something he's done for free because he loves it. Loves boxing (particularly the little guys) but would never do it because of the facial damage in involves...Joked that the biggest surprise since entering the NFL was how much the tax man took...

He's very comfortable with the media. Doesn't talk in cliches and pretty well spoken. Confident and determined but not ****y or full of himself.

hes been a great player in college..he was a bit smaller and thats why hes wasnt up higher..he was considered a work out warrior and said to lose concentration on play a few times during a game..but he came in like any other CB for us..did very well and got some experience. i wouldnt call him a starter for us quiet yet..hes going to have to work his ass off because Gay did good year before him..and asante 2 years before that. might be our system with these later picks than taking the best CB. guess Harrison provides a lot of help on and off the field and with our leaders on the team..its easier on them and gets them motivated. i love hobbs..great kid..great player. i've met him and hes an awesome dude.

intresting tidbit

MoLewisrocks said:
He sounds like a really nice kid who has his head screwed on pretty straight. Looking for constructive criticism and determined to improve all aspects (positives and negatives) of his game from his rookie season. Uses some of the mindless media criticism to fuel him. Has done that since college. Says he was drawn to Iowa because their players flew under the radar but accomplished their goals through hard work. Says he doesn't know many NFL players outside of NE so he relies on his coaches and Rodney for direction. Feels a veteran guy like Ridney knows the finer points of the game as far as the corners he's played with. Talked about breaking down tape of himself this week with Joel Collier and finding some little quirks in his game, potential bad habits, that he will have to be mindful of at all times this season to get to the point where not doing those things becomes second nature eventually. A tendancy towards leaning or stepping in just pre snap being one. Fighting the urge to jump routes based on QB reads because guys at this level are so good at misleading you is a tough transition that should become easier as he gets familiar with his opponents. Talked about being so tired after Denver that he felt almost relieved the pressure of the season was over, but wanting it back within a week. Loves being paid to do something he's done for free because he loves it. Loves boxing (particularly the little guys) but would never do it because of the facial damage in involves...Joked that the biggest surprise since entering the NFL was how much the tax man took...

He's very comfortable with the media. Doesn't talk in cliches and pretty well spoken. Confident and determined but not ****y or full of himself.

Great synopsis of the interview.

tailgater said:
Listening to WEEI, Ellis Hobbs is relating his draft day experience last season.

He said he was was keeping busy putzing around on the first day, then went to watch the 2nd - 3rd round picks at his Moms house. He said the Jets GM called and said they were about to pick him.

Hobbs got excited, then saw another name come up when the Jets made their pick. (I assume it was Miller at #57).

Nice piece of luck for the Pats.

Why do you say that? Miller had a nice rookie season as well and was one of the best kick returners in the NFL. I don't think Jets fans are too upset with the selection nor am I ready to say Hobbs will be a better pro than Miller will be, seeing they both have a lot of potential.

patriotsrule said:
Why do you say that? Miller had a nice rookie season as well and was one of the best kick returners in the NFL. I don't think Jets fans are too upset with the selection nor am I ready to say Hobbs will be a better pro than Miller will be, seeing they both have a lot of potential.
What are you talking about? The guy never said Miller was a bad pick, he said we're lucky Miller fell to the Jets and thus Hobbs fell to us.

Huge Hobbs fan going back to his college days. Great overviews of him but just remember he went to IOWA STATE no iowa. (Sorry just a pet peeve of mine when the good things that happen get credited to Iowa and not Iowa State.)

Hobbs was really impressive last year and was about the only CB who could be left on an island last year without getting his ass handed to him, despite being a rookie. I remember against the Jets in Gillette Hobbs was basically one on one with Coles and pretty much took him out of the game. I look forward to see Hobbs further mature and develop in his second year.

Missed the interview...but nice stuff!! He is a good guy..will be better this year!!

i heard it too. Seems like a good, smart kid. He did well last year and I expect more from him next year.

zippo59 said:
Hobbs was really impressive last year and was about the only CB who could be left on an island last year without getting his ass handed to him, despite being a rookie. I remember against the Jets in Gillette Hobbs was basically one on one with Coles and pretty much took him out of the game. I look forward to see Hobbs further mature and develop in his second year.

Right on! As I mentioned in another post, Hobbs was in yesterdays USA Today cornerback write-up and they called him the CB GEM of last years draft, over every other one drafted.

Bostonian1962 said:
Right on! As I mentioned in another post, Hobbs was in yesterdays USA Today cornerback write-up and they called him the CB GEM of last years draft, over every other one drafted.
Wasn't it Sports Illustrated that had the article grading the picks from the 2005 draft right after the season ended, and had Ellis The III, listed as either the #1 or #2 performing rookie CB out of the whole draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes