PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine game

Wheelman

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ok scouts! The game is on today. I'm a total n00b at scouting. What does one look for at each position?

I have not really looked into this to be honest. I will watch as much of the game as i can and give you any thoughts i can as i go.

The key to ask is "how does this translate" Just cause a player does well in this game doesn't mean he will do so in the NFL. I tend to look at specific traits that pop off the screen. 1 skill that seems to work well a player can build their game around (like in the box quickness, first step burst, fluidity, ect.)

I'd love to help but I'm in the UK so won't get to watch it live.

@BobDigital 's advice is spot on. also bear in mind that playbook are really dumbed down. No blitzing, no press coverage.

OK, I'm able to watch it.

I like Geronimo Allison.

Mike Mayock, Chad Reuter and others did some pretty good reviews leading up to the game..

Top 10 most intriguing East-West Shrine Game prospects - NFL.com

What we learned Monday at East-West Shrine Game practice - NFL.com

East-West Shrine Game Day 2 observations - NFL.com

Players who intrigue me:
Geronimo Allison - WR
Devon Cajuste - WR/H-Back
De'Vondre Campbell - LB
Josh Ferguson - RB
Hunter Sharp - WR (not playing - injury)

With the likelihood that Mayo is gone, I see LB, WR, and RB as the spots the Pats are likely to focus on early in the draft. Especially after the off year that LaFell had and with Dobson getting injured again. I'm not sure they will add an O-linemen considering the depth they actually have when healthy. The D-line could use a penetrator to back-up Easley, but they'd have to look at a late rounder like Devon Hargrave or Ebuka Onyemata whom they'd have to develop..

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats looked for a Hybrid DE/OLB (Like Ninkovich) and a ILB/MLB type player. Keep in mind that Mayo is likely gone and Ninkovich will be in the last year of his contract starting next season and will be 32.

Mike Mayock, Chad Reuter and others did some pretty good reviews leading up to the game..

Top 10 most intriguing East-West Shrine Game prospects - NFL.com

What we learned Monday at East-West Shrine Game practice - NFL.com

East-West Shrine Game Day 2 observations - NFL.com

Players who intrigue me:
Geronimo Allison - WR
Devon Cajuste - WR/H-Back
De'Vondre Campbell - LB
Josh Ferguson - RB
Hunter Sharp - WR (not playing - injury)

With the likelihood that Mayo is gone, I see LB, WR, and RB as the spots the Pats are likely to focus on early in the draft. Especially after the off year that LaFell had and with Dobson getting injured again. I'm not sure they will add an O-linemen considering the depth they actually have when healthy. The D-line could use a penetrator to back-up Easley, but they'd have to look at a late rounder like Devon Hargrave or Ebuka Onyemata whom they'd have to develop..

Josh Ferguson is very exciting but I just don't see where he fits on the roster with Lewis and White already here. There's a couple of corners I like - Crevon LeBlanc and Boddy Brien-Calhoun.

Josh Ferguson is very exciting but I just don't see where he fits on the roster with Lewis and White already here. There's a couple of corners I like - Crevon LeBlanc and Boddy Brien-Calhoun.

I'd take 3 "scat" backs like White, Lewis, and Ferguson anyday. Less likely for them to get injured spreading the ball around. Also, Ferguson supposedly can run inside.. Which is unusual for a kid his size.

For me, ferguson, griswold and terrance smith. I think they could all make effective patriots at positions of need.

Ferguson could be Lewis or white insurance.

I think that corner will be a luxury pick unless they can't reach terms with Butler and Ryan.

I'd take 3 "scat" backs like White, Lewis, and Ferguson anyday. Less likely for them to get injured spreading the ball around. Also, Ferguson supposedly can run inside.. Which is unusual for a kid his size.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Three seems a lot when you only roster four and dress three.

Cody Core is someone I have in the back of my mind as a potential pick. Big late round WR.

I think that corner will be a luxury pick unless they can't reach terms with Butler and Ryan.

Ryan, Roberts, Coleman, Butler and ???? . That's where I see the roster gap. plus Ryan only has one year on his contract so a CB could be an insurance pick.

I've been thinking this for a while but does anyone else think that Ochi could be a Jamie Collins type LB convert. So explosive but at 6'1" is too small for a FT DE.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Three seems a lot when you only roster four and dress three.

Manx - We've seen Lewis run between the tackles and gain yardage. If Ferguson can do the same, then why wouldn't he be a good back-up to Lewis?

I'll be honest, I don't see the Pats bring back Blount. They'll have very little if any money to sign a veteran RB who can run between the tackles. Only two of the top 10 RBs are over 220 lbs and both of them (Jonathan Williams - Arkansas) and Leon Allen (Western Kentucky) are 5th year guys who missed the entirety of the 2015 season with injuries. Williams had a foot injury and Allen a leg injury.

Vernon Adams making himself some Canadian money today. Really impressive.

I've been thinking this for a while but does anyone else think that Ochi could be a Jamie Collins type LB convert. So explosive but at 6'1" is too small for a FT DE.

Depends on his arm length and technique. Aaron Donald seemed to do pretty well as 6'1 FT DT.. With seasoning, I don't see why Ochi couldn't.. Though OLB in the 4-3 may be a better fit..

Manx - We've seen Lewis run between the tackles and gain yardage. If Ferguson can do the same, then why wouldn't he be a good back-up to Lewis?

I'll be honest, I don't see the Pats bring back Blount. They'll have very little if any money to sign a veteran RB who can run between the tackles. Only two of the top 10 RBs are over 220 lbs and both of them (Jonathan Williams - Arkansas) and Leon Allen (Western Kentucky) are 5th year guys who missed the entirety of the 2015 season with injuries. Williams had a foot injury and Allen a leg injury.

It's a simple numbers game. Four RBs on the roster and we already have three: Lewis, White, Bolden. I just think we need a big back as a compliment (and Jonathan Williams is my favourite quite comfortably).

I like Ferguson so I'm not going complain but I just don't really see how it happens roster wise. Switching White to WR might be a possibility that frees up a spot at RB I suppose.

Depends on his arm length and technique. Aaron Donald seemed to do pretty well as 6'1 FT DT.. With seasoning, I don't see why Ochi couldn't.. Though OLB in the 4-3 may be a better fit..

33.5" arms. I just think he'd be a terrific linebacker. Super explosive.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back