PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine game

Mike Mayock, Chad Reuter and others did some pretty good reviews leading up to the game..

Top 10 most intriguing East-West Shrine Game prospects - NFL.com

What we learned Monday at East-West Shrine Game practice - NFL.com

East-West Shrine Game Day 2 observations - NFL.com

Players who intrigue me:
Geronimo Allison - WR
Devon Cajuste - WR/H-Back
De'Vondre Campbell - LB
Josh Ferguson - RB
Hunter Sharp - WR (not playing - injury)

With the likelihood that Mayo is gone, I see LB, WR, and RB as the spots the Pats are likely to focus on early in the draft. Especially after the off year that LaFell had and with Dobson getting injured again. I'm not sure they will add an O-linemen considering the depth they actually have when healthy. The D-line could use a penetrator to back-up Easley, but they'd have to look at a late rounder like Devon Hargrave or Ebuka Onyemata whom they'd have to develop..

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats looked for a Hybrid DE/OLB (Like Ninkovich) and a ILB/MLB type player. Keep in mind that Mayo is likely gone and Ninkovich will be in the last year of his contract starting next season and will be 32.

I don't think this should change our approach on finding a Ninkovich replacement, however I do think the recent future singing of James Vaughters is targeted at a potential Ninkonvich replacement. The moment I watched his highlight video, I was instantly reminded of Nink. Very good at setting the edge and shedding blocks. Very good against the run. Clearly he's a smart player, as with most Stanford players. They both have very similar combine measurable's, and he's listed as a OLB, but his tape says much more DE. He's also plays special teams and appears to excel at it, which could help him stick around. If you already haven't, I recommend you watch his tape. Hopefully he's next years Dion Lewis. One can only hope!

Last edited:
I don't think this should change our approach on finding a Ninkovich replacement, however I do think the recent future singing of James Vaughters is targeted at a potential Ninkonvich replacement. The moment I watched his highlight video, I was instantly reminded of Nink. Very good at setting the edge and shedding blocks. Very good against the run. Clearly he's a smart player, and with most Stanford players. They both have very similar combine measurable's, and he's listed as a OLB, but his tape says much more DE. He's also plays special teams and appears to excel at it, which could help him stick around. If you already haven't, I recommend you watch his tape. Hopefully he's next years Dion Lewis. One can only hope!

I think that, for the foreseeable future, Sheard will be Ninkovich's replacement. It's a matter of who will be the back-up so that we have a good rotation of DEs much like we had this year..

Vaughters was on the Packers practice squad until he was IRed and then cut with a settlement.

Ryan, Roberts, Coleman, Butler and ???? . That's where I see the roster gap. plus Ryan only has one year on his contract so a CB could be an insurance pick.

Leonard Johnson is signed through the 2016 season.

And for clarity purposes, for me, a luxury pick is a pick in the 1st four rounds on a position that many people would consider set. Having Ryan, Butler, Coleman, Johnson is actually pretty good depth. Roberts, if he's what people believe, will make that a position of strength for the Pats. Something that hasn't been said for a LONG time..

Leonard Johnson is signed through the 2016 season.

And for clarity purposes, for me, a luxury pick is a pick in the 1st four rounds on a position that many people would consider set. Having Ryan, Butler, Coleman, Johnson is actually pretty good depth. Roberts, if he's what people believe, will make that a position of strength for the Pats. Something that hasn't been said for a LONG time..

I don't know if Johnson is a keeper or not. decent 5th guy but can be improved upon. I don't share your view that CB is a luxury pick - CB is one of those positions where you can never have enough and with Ryan's contract situation in the air I think we still need that depth. However, it certainly isn't the priority that it was earlier in the year.

I think that, for the foreseeable future, Sheard will be Ninkovich's replacement. It's a matter of who will be the back-up so that we have a good rotation of DEs much like we had this year..

Vaughters was on the Packers practice squad until he was IRed and then cut with a settlement.

I personally think its more important that we find a Jones replacement first. People seem to forget that we have both Trey Flowers, and Geno Grissom. As much as I like Jones, I get a feeling he won't be around in 2017. Im not sure he is worth 8 million a season considering his injury history and history of sometimes going cold for stretches of time. This is where I start to like the possibility of drafting Noah Spence. He's a first round talent, and seeing we don't have a 1st, this might present us the opportunity to grab a very similar player in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I don't think a player who had an "addiction" to ecstasy is that huge of a concern. Call me crazy, but id be more concerned with someone who's addicted to weed then X. I can say all of this from first hand experience. The red flag with X is, its more then likely an individual that likes to party and have a good time, thats the biggest concern.

Two drops in a row. Robby Anderson struggling.

I personally think its more important that we find a Jones replacement first. People seem to forget that we have both Trey Flowers, and Geno Grissom. As much as I like Jones, I get a feeling he won't be around in 2017. Im not sure he is worth 8 million a season considering his injury history and history of sometimes going cold for stretches of time. This is where I start to like the possibility of drafting Noah Spence. He's a first round talent, and seeing we don't have a 1st, this might present us the opportunity to grab a very similar player in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I don't think a player who had an "addiction" to ecstasy is that huge of a concern. Call me crazy, but id be more concerned with someone who's addicted to weed then X. I can say all of this from first hand experience. The red flag with X is, its more then likely an individual that likes to party and have a good time, thats the biggest concern.

You don't seem to understand that an addiction is an addiction. Whether it's to Weed, X, Coke, Hash, Sex, or Stealing. They are a character flaw and one that has to be watched closely by the addicted person because they can easily change that addiction to something else.. Be it alcohol, religion, fanaticism, etc.. It's a red flag to teams regardless of what you or I think of it..

I don't know if Johnson is a keeper or not. decent 5th guy but can be improved upon. I don't share your view that CB is a luxury pick - CB is one of those positions where you can never have enough and with Ryan's contract situation in the air I think we still need that depth. However, it certainly isn't the priority that it was earlier in the year.

Johnson has shown he's a keeper through the next year, at the very minimum. And don't forget they also have Brock Vereen on the PS whom they have had playing CB almost exclusively since they signed him.

Nice play by Brien-Calhoun on Cody Core.

Johnson has shown he's a keeper through the next year, at the very minimum. And don't forget they also have Brock Vereen on the PS whom they have had playing CB almost exclusively since they signed him.

I think Johnson is a roster bubble guy. But I don't see the problem with adding a bit of day three competition for that last CB spot.

Really nice blitz pickup by Derek Watts.

Sorry someone took over the TV so i couldn't watch it at all :/

I will try to watch it later during the 2 week break leading up to the super bowl.

I see my boy Terrance pulled up with a hammy.

Showed a bit of the good and bad in his game.

Have we given up on Rufus Johnson and trey flowers already?

Keenan Reynolds?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back